BERLIN Marathon 2012

Die schnelle ein mit ze Germans, ja?

1,761 to 1,780 of 1,828 messages
07/10/2012 at 21:56
Hey! Keyboard Worrier, you met me too!!
ADG
07/10/2012 at 22:35

peeved I couldn't find the pub, part of the trip involved Frankfurt, beautiful city.

ADG
08/10/2012 at 03:26
Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)

THe support on this thread has been ace and as I always travel to these foreign marathons solo it's nice to meet the good folk in person in the agreed pub later. Makes the weekend for me. 

This year I met johnas, Roger and his wife Mary, Stephen Malcolm and two of his club mates.

In the pub I was half listening to Johnas speaking to Roger and them mentioning some you tube video and then finally it clicked. I had had a few German beers by this point. That the Roger at our table was the same Roger who stared in his own you tube video re-titled the most inspirational video you'll ever watch. It was a great moment and I hope to enjoy many more similar ones in the future.

Paul (KW) it was really great meeting you and everyone else at the pub. Really disappointed that others including Leisa had already come and gone as we got there late. Also sorry others like ADG couldn't find it. Hopefully there will be a reunion of some other race that will have our paths cross again. Below is a picture that my wife took of the group at the pub. From right (although you English have your left and rights mixed up! lol), Johnas and his wife, Keyboard Worrier, Stephen's running mates, me (Roger) and Stephen.

BTW, I ran a half marathon this morning and missed a PR/PB by 17 seconds at 1:55:08. Really could have / should have pushed myself just a little bit more.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/722060/gallery/friends_i_met_online_at_the_uk_runners_world_forum.jpg?width=350

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 03:28
08/10/2012 at 08:01
RFME - may see you in Boston area. I am probably going to do the Monster Dash in Providence on 28 October. Also, Falmouth Road Race in August.
08/10/2012 at 09:32
Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)
Rumour is that Frankfurt may be the marathon of choice for next Autumn.

I see it's organised by the same people as Berlin - that can only be a good thing! Fast too - course record held by Wilson Kipsang in 2:03:42. Got to be the only marathon where you actually finish on a red carpet indoors too!

Really tempted by this. I wonder if it'll clash with Amsterdam though next year.

08/10/2012 at 11:05

Martin - congratulations on your time, that's really impressive.  Hope Edinburgh treats you well!

Johnas - just checked back and saw your time as well.  You ran a blinder.  Many congratulations!

RFME - getting close to your HM PB so close to Berlin is a great result.  Have had a look through your site btw and will send you a message.

I went out for an attempted 4 mile run last night, first since the race, got terrible stitches all round my front and then stopped after 2.5 miles with a really sore calf muscle.  Forgot how tight this was after the marathon.  Otherwise I felt fine, recovered far more quickly than last year, assisted I think by a lot of walking for the next couple of days after the race.  Was thinking of doing a half marathon next month to try and get a PB there but don't know if this is on now.

Really interested in Chicago for next year, possibly also with Rotterdam in the spring. Have put a wee race report up at http://www.myrunninglife.co.uk/berlin-marathon-2012-race-report/

08/10/2012 at 12:56
RFME - great effort, one week after Berlin. Congratulations! I wasn't even in PB form pre-marathon. I also went out for 10k yesterday and had little ability to push, also had to stop and stretch regularly, suffering as per Strunner. So in other words - what an effort.

By the way, can you direct me to your website? Really annoyed both myself and David White 20 didn't catch you guys - looks like fun was had!

Strunner - looking forward to reading your race report. I'm also tempted by Frankfurt but I may go Berlin again next Autumn - I just love the place so much.
08/10/2012 at 15:51

Thanks Strunner and congrats on your PB too. Just imagine what you'll manage next time! I'd say the sciatica and impact on your long runs more than likely contributed to you hitting a wall so be positive about getting a decent PB and your next marathon. Sub 3.50 will be yours!

RE: Chicago. I can't decide whether to chase my dream of doing all the majors before I'm 40 (next 4 years) or just picking races I think would be good instead (like Frankfurt next year). With the cost of NY now ridiculous, are the 'Majors' really that special? Come April I would have done 2 of them so that only leaves the costly American ones. Decisions decisions

08/10/2012 at 20:57

Strunner - really enjoyed reading your Berlin race blog.  That sticky feet feeling didn't really happen to me in Berlin but in NYC, it was like that on nearly EVERY sports drink station.  Very sticky and hard to run through.  I also found the aid stations to be too congested and hope that Berlin will improve on that.  

My Marathonfoto shows me just before the Brandenburg gate and the 4:00 pacer is behind me.  I saw him overtake me at the gate but could not get my legs to go any faster due to cramps.  Still stewing over those 17 seconds!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/367110/gallery/with_pacer.jpg?width=350

Johnas - I am trying to do all the majors.  Next year, London will be my third and that leaves me Chicago and Boston.  This means I have 2 attempts to shave off at least another 5 minutes from my PB.  Either that or I could wait till I'm 50 (not long) then only have to do a sub 4:00 (just got to knock off 17 seconds).

08/10/2012 at 21:35
Leisa H wrote (see)
RFME - may see you in Boston area. I am probably going to do the Monster Dash in Providence on 28 October. Also, Falmouth Road Race in August.

Leisa, are you located here (USA) or just a frequent flyer? Don't know much about the Monster Dash but I have done Falmouth RR three times and it is rated as one of the most beautiful races in the US. Hard to get in (very tough lottery) but the same race is also run in the fall (Falmouth In The Fall) and this year is Nov 4th. MUCH cooler and cheaper too at $15! Contact me if you come in town.    

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
RFME - great effort, one week after Berlin. Congratulations! I wasn't even in PB form pre-marathon. I also went out for 10k yesterday and had little ability to push, also had to stop and stretch regularly, suffering as per Strunner. So in other words - what an effort.

By the way, can you direct me to your website?

I just assumed my time was going to be slow so I didn't even look at my Garmin until I crossed the finishline at which point I was surprised to see my time.

My website is: www.RFME.org (btw, RFME = Running For My Existence)

Johnas wrote (see)
RE: Chicago. I can't decide whether to chase my dream of doing all the majors before I'm 40 (next 4 years) or just picking races I think would be good instead (like Frankfurt next year). With the cost of NY now ridiculous, are the 'Majors' really that special? Come April I would have done 2 of them so that only leaves the costly American ones. Decisions decisions

IMHO, I think they were worth it and I'm no where near the running level you are. Personally I would probabaly never have gone to London or Berlin but in retrospect they were some of the best weeks of my life. Fortunately I have learned, even at such a late point in life, that you can never live a life of regret.  

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/722060/gallery/the_five_marathon_majors_640k.jpg?width=350

08/10/2012 at 21:56

Sorry Leisa, and Richard and Lucy if you are lurking. It was my birthday yesterday and Mrs KW went to the trouble of sorting this out.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/522703/gallery/image_1.jpg?width=350

I was really chuffed with it.

08/10/2012 at 22:15
Johnas - Frankfurt is a great town, the marathon will be top. I'm not convinced the stunning expense of the US marathons are worth it, in these strapped times. However if I were to go for one, I'd go for Chicago first...

RFME - great site, great effort and great cause. Sorry didn't get to meet up - brilliant to have that medal collection!

KW - great effort. Also great to see Sunderland represented in there!
08/10/2012 at 22:28

RFME my Mrs ordered the medal mounting kit from the internet. She told me it was an absolute bargain compared to what they charge at marathon photo etc. If you need the details I will get them from her. I have to say its one of the best presents I've ever had. No more throwing the medals into the running kit draw.

09/10/2012 at 09:28

Happy Birthday KW! That's an awesome present and a great way to desiplay the achievements.

IM - Thanks for nothing mate... You're about as useful as a chocolate teapot in my decision making process lol!

RFME - I want your collection! *Wanders off to check cost of chicago flights*

09/10/2012 at 09:41
ADG wrote (see)

I've no idea on which to do next, rejection letter for London so thinking of another Euro trip...I hear good things about Rotterdam, or Rome...Tokyo now that would be some trip

ADG - I can confirm that Rome is a fun place to run a mara - I gave it a crack earlier this year. The course has chjanged quite a bit and the first half was very windy with lots of right-angled turns that I found to be quite tiring and i certainly wouldn't call it a PB course.

There's also a huge amount of cobbles and even though they are not heavily rounded (ankle twisters), the condition of the underlying pavement is really bad so there are lots of undulations, big dips in the surface, which again makes constant, energy-efficient high-speed running quite a challenge. But you do get to finish alongside the Colliseum which is pretty special.

If none of you have tried it, Paris Marathon is fantastic. Have done it 4 times now and I love it. Normally first Sunday in April, registration takes about 6-7 weeks to fill up and they are taking bookings from Wednesday 17th october. The sooner you book, the cheaper it is.

09/10/2012 at 10:04

Leisa - know how you feel about seconds - my first marathon was london at 4:00:11s - looking back if i had dipped under 4hours i may have never run another as it was all just a bit of fun at the time, but on the way home those 11 seconds ate away at me that by the time i got home i was signing up to another straight away - now three years later i am trying to knock 6minutes off to go sub 3 - its all possible.

Johnas - in the same situation - want to finish the majors now i have the time but its the costs - and i want to get those last 6 minutes so do i do berlin again and give it a shot as its obviosuly one of the best places to do it. Problem is the kids want to come to all the races and watch and if its Europe its not too bad but the US with the flight costs is crazy. I have two yeears before 40 and said either NY or Boston before then now i have my Boston time, decisons....

09/10/2012 at 11:06
Andy - you're in the form of your life. When else will you get the Boston chance? I suspect you're talking 2014? If so, that'll give you time to save so the family can also come! NYC is non-elitist - it can wait until your (and my) 40s!

Johnas - sorry dude. I see it simply as economics then - they'd both be great. Eggy (from Paris thread) has just done Chicago and gives good feedback. Also, the US is special. But so's Europe. And it's simply going to be more affordable with/without the family. I can't think there are many better marathon atmospheres than Berlin so I'll hope to go back there - but Frankfurt also gets a great name and it's on my list for the future.

Clear as mud, yeah?!
Edited: 09/10/2012 at 11:08
09/10/2012 at 11:37

I've done 5 majors....3 berlin 2 london! I dont fancy my chances of getting into the US I've heard passport control is pretty strict! And have you seen Homeland? It's pretty screwed up over there!

09/10/2012 at 11:49

BB - agree with that having just spent 2 hours on the ESTA forms to get in for Florida in three weeks and i also know that despite that i will still have hours of waiting at Homeland 

Think the aim is going to be Boston in 2014 - have said that NY is just going to be fun rather than for a time so it can wait. Chicago intrigues me though - is it such a fast course? Think i may do one us course each year over the coming three years. Just can't resist doing Berlin again next year.

Been trying those calf guards over the last few runs and it does seem positive, legs felt really solid if a little tight on occasions but initial signs are good.

09/10/2012 at 18:27

Leisa - I'm not going to ask you your age, but I strongly doubt from your picture that you're anywhere near 50!  In cracking shape.  Glad you enjoyed the blog post!

Johnas - thanks, I hope so!  What is your next target timewise?  I imagine it's hard even to take a minute or two off at your speed now?

IM - yeah I'd thought about Frankfurt as well.  Probably for another year.  I'll definitely be back in Berlin though too.  Too many dreams, not enough money (or time)...

RFME - that's a lovely collection of medals.  Get a nice mount like KW!

KW - brilliant.  I've been trying to mock up something similar but interesting to hear there's a kit available.  For now I've got some of my race numbers up.  Hope to replace the half mara number with a 3rd marathon number in the not too distant future!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/665292/gallery/2012-10-09_18.21.38.jpg?width=350

1,761 to 1,780 of 1,828 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.