BERLIN Marathon 2012

Die schnelle ein mit ze Germans, ja?

1,781 to 1,800 of 1,828 messages
09/10/2012 at 20:50
andyc209 wrote (see)

Leisa - know how you feel about seconds - my first marathon was london at 4:00:11s - looking back if i had dipped under 4hours i may have never run another as it was all just a bit of fun at the time, but on the way home those 11 seconds ate away at me that by the time i got home i was signing up to another straight away - now three years later i am trying to knock 6minutes off to go sub 3 - its all possible.

Thanks Andy.  I know what you mean.  My last marathon (1st) was 4:42 so I felt I had unfinished business with marathons until I got sub 4:30.  Now, I want sub 4:00.  There's just no pleasing some people....

andyc209 wrote (see)

BB - agree with that having just spent 2 hours on the ESTA forms to get in for Florida in three weeks and i also know that despite that i will still have hours of waiting at Homeland 

Your doing the Wine and Dine half marathon, right?  Hopefully see you there!  I am also doing that.

RFME wrote (see)

Leisa, are you located here (USA) or just a frequent flyer? Don't know much about the Monster Dash but I have done Falmouth RR three times and it is rated as one of the most beautiful races in the US. Hard to get in (very tough lottery) but the same race is also run in the fall (Falmouth In The Fall) and this year is Nov 4th. MUCH cooler and cheaper too at $15! Contact me if you come in town.     

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/722060/gallery/the_five_marathon_majors_640k.jpg?width=350

So jealous of your medals too!  Ooh, I want a Boston medal. 

I have just bought a house in Falmouth so I will be getting guaranteed entry for the Falmouth Road Races as a resident. I did the race this year and it was incredibly hot!  Let me know if you need a bib number.  I live in the UK.  Cant do the Fall race as I will be in Florida but will be in Falmouth later this month.

strunner wrote (see)

Leisa - I'm not going to ask you your age, but I strongly doubt from your picture that you're anywhere near 50!  In cracking shape.  Glad you enjoyed the blog post!

Teehee!  Thanks Strunner!  46 in January so just going to get slower every year.  Going to work hard now to get a sub 3:55 to qualify for Boston.

This was my shadow box from NYC and I am trying to make my own this year.  Will post a picture when I have finished.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/367110/gallery/photo.jpg?width=350

10/10/2012 at 09:06

medals and numbers i keep all mine in an old choccie biccie tin, its absolutely rammed full of them, but best of all i still get a hit of chocolate when i open the lid...however it is now mingled with old sweat from the race numbers!

10/10/2012 at 09:13

BB-sounds like where mine are -all in a tin in my daughters room - she likes to use them for girly 'dress up'! I know when i need to do another race when she asks if I have any more medals for her tin! 

10/10/2012 at 09:55
Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
Clear as mud, yeah?!

haha - erm, yeah. I'm currently in the position of no kids so if there's anytime I can afford to do the 'Majors' now is as good as any!

strunner wrote (see)

Johnas - thanks, I hope so!  What is your next target timewise?  I imagine it's hard even to take a minute or two off at your speed now?

I bl**dy hope not. Bearing in mind Berlin was only my 2nd marathon and I knocked 7 mins off my first attempt, I do like to think I got some way to go yet. Target now is sub 2.45 in London.

10/10/2012 at 10:16

I'm certain you will smash your pb in London. 

10/10/2012 at 11:02

Johnas - I have missed this detail somewhere along the line!  I thought you'd been at this game for years and had gradually cut your time down.  Makes it all the more impressive!

10/10/2012 at 13:57

No he's a jonny come lately . He did a bit of national school boy running in the past though so it's not a completely untapped talent. 

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 15:29
10/10/2012 at 15:12

KW is right Strunner - usual case of teen spirit and high jinxs being much more attractive by the age of 16. Isn't it funny how we all revert back to some hobby of our 'yoof' when we hit our 30s though!

BTW - aren't some of you doing marathons this/next week? If so, best of luck to you all!

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 15:13
10/10/2012 at 16:51

i do think back to the amount of times i tried to get out of Cross Country at school despite being pretty good because I hated running on cold winter mornings....how times change. If only my old PE teacher could see me know , but it has put paid to my golf career.

10/10/2012 at 17:37
I think the PE teachers could have tried a bit harder to explain how good it was for you, both in mind, body and spirit. They could have mentioned that it was unimportant what position you came and that everyone was capable of significant improvement.
Then again I don't suppose they knew back then that the world was about to get very fat.
10/10/2012 at 23:07
KW - also, even if they'd explained, do you think that we'd have listened?!

Johnas - I've no kids either but still not the cash for the majors, but remain interested in Chicago. In 2014 - need to get Berlin out of my system!
11/10/2012 at 09:25

Iain - think Chicago in 2014 might be the race of choice for a few of us - might double up with Boston earlier in the year - No family holiday that year kids! 

I used to go to a school which has produced a large number of international rugby players (Austin Healy was one) and looking back if you were not in that 'special group'  the PE teacher would never really give you a second thought - there was no encouragement to improve as you say. Sometimes i meet old school pals who are amazed at what i have done at these marathons and the usual phrase - "would never have thought it" - comes out, like you say sometimes there are hidden talents in people that are never coaxed out of them at that early age. This is why i am becoming Tiger Woods' dad MK2 with my girl, she is a great runner already aged 6 so i am not going to let her fall by the wayside.

11/10/2012 at 10:05
I'm looking at Berlin for 2013 and Chicago for 2014 as a way of celebrating my 40th that year. Still haven't run since Berlin! All I have to my name is 2 Spin classes and 1 Bodybalance with a Bodycombat class tonight. Entries open for Berlin 2 weeks today!
11/10/2012 at 11:55

when is the Berlin one then? and how long? full or half?

11/10/2012 at 13:53

think that is the same as me David

Brighton and Berlin 2013

Boston and Chicago 2014

11/10/2012 at 13:55

IM - well, with Chicago in Oct 2013, that gives me a whole year to save up. will prob just go on my own tbh and fly back after a couple of days. As much as I enjoyed Berlin, I cant see myself doing the same marathons - am looking at spring and autumn marathons for the next few years.

David - I've only ran about 8 miles since Berlin and all at slower than 8 min miling. Got a half marathon this weekend that'll be interesting! Going to pace a mate round and enjoy watching our club pick up the county champs title for the 5th year running.

Jaclyn - David is refering to the marathon. Entries open on 25th Oct and race is 29th Sept 2013. details here

11/10/2012 at 14:00

ideal (maybe dreaming!) plan for me

London & Chicago 2013

Boston & NYC 2014

11/10/2012 at 18:08

Johnas - that's going to be a great couple of years!

David - my 3 runs so far have been hampered by family illness and hospital runs but I've felt pretty ok when running at my half marathon pace - with stops for stretching. I had been planning a 10k trail run next weekend but think that's out. 

All being well however, my plan for the next 2 years matches your, hopefully, with Berlin (3rd time lucky!) in 2013 and Chicago potentially pencilled in for 2014. Also - I don't think I've done 2 spin classess this year...!

12/10/2012 at 09:33

sounds like an influx of us hitting the USA over the coming years

ADG
13/10/2012 at 18:16

looks like we're all moving on...just posting to say thanks to all posters here for your company on the journey to Berlin 2012...it's been a blast well done!

ADG
1,781 to 1,800 of 1,828 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.