Best well-kept secret races in Europe

8 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/09/2002 at 22:22
Anyone have any tips on great races around Europe?
I can recommend the 27km race around the lake at St. Wolfgang, Austria, in mid-October, my fav race in all the world, done it 16 times now. But there's others too - the Swiss mountain marathon in Davos, the Heidelberg half-marathon in Germany, Roth Quelle Challenge long distance triathlon also in Germany, Paris and Berlin marathons.
18/09/2002 at 06:17
Sheila

How about the 3 laender marathon along the shores of the Bodensee (Lake Constance) - I'll be there in err.....about 2 weeks ulp!
18/09/2002 at 08:42
Martin let us know how it went because I really fancy this, maybe next year.
18/09/2002 at 13:03
We have our list of top ten European races and top ten French races on the RW website in the events editorial section.

Give them a look
18/09/2002 at 13:46
A great, but little mentioned, marathon is Reykjavik in August. I have only done it once (2001), but will definitely be back again some time. There is a half as well. The main attraction is the small (400) field and incredibly friendly atmosphere. The scenery is awesome, but is better appreciated walking around the day after the race :)

And The Pearl restaurant in Reyjavik is currently my absolute top favourite restaurant in the world, by miles.
18/09/2002 at 15:47
Iceland again ... if you want to get away from the crowds, try the ├×orvaldsdalsskokki├░ in north Iceland in July - 26 km across snowfield, boulderfield, river and hillside, with huge snowcapped mountains towering on either side. Also, drinks stations appear with stunning regularity on the most inhospitble parts of the course. Probably the most stunning race I've ever done ... even though I did fall over twice and ran the last 10km on torn ankle ligaments. The organisers were super and really looked after everyone.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/09/2002 at 16:11
Martin, thanks, but I'll be running Berlin on the 29th. I've thought about the 3-laender before, just not made it yet. Let us know how it goes.
S.A.
kg
24/09/2002 at 09:43
running in the loch ness marathon on sun 29 sept. this is the first time for this race. will let you know how it goes.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.