Bewl 15

21 to 40 of 90 messages
07/06/2011 at 18:36
grandadnohair - you'll love it, its a beautiful race to run, and its only as hard as you make it. And as mentioned, the cakes are to die for.
07/06/2011 at 20:12

White Pele. 

No problem.  The form's in the post! 

Are the cakes as good as Behill Runners'?  If so I'd better make sure I get round a bit faster so there's some left!

07/06/2011 at 21:35
The cakes are the best!
13/06/2011 at 13:50

Hi fellow Bewl 15 entrants,

I hope those of you have done this before can possibly help with some guidance.

I am new to running (last 8 months) and have completed two half marathons (PB of 1:45 on flat course) but nothing further.

I was down that way yesterday visiting family and did a long slow run of 13 miles.I was planning to do one more long run of 14 miles on a reasonably hilly route this Sunday. 

Do you think I need to do anything longer?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Good luck to you all with your training.

13/06/2011 at 17:41

Sounds to me as if you're doing fine.  Seeing as you've done the distance you have I would begin tapering after your 14 miler or maybe even reduce the 14m to 13m or 12m?  It doesn't sound as if you need to get too many more miles in and you don't want to over train.

After that hilly run you need to give your legs time to recover for Bewl, so I'd suggest maybe a gentle 10 the following weekend (19th) and probably no run longer than 5 miles in the days after that - perhaps 3m slow on 28th, 5m tempo on 29th, 3m slow on 30th, and 2m slow on Sat 2nd.  I certainly don't think you want to do much more than that.

That's something like I'll be doing, but maybe others will have other ideas?

13/06/2011 at 18:09

Hi, I am not experienced but I think you won't need to train much either, as grandadnohair explained it so well.

I am planning on doing a long run next Wednesday ( I am away at the weekend so no can do then) the just one more longish run that following weekend, and then a few short tempo runs in between.

Grandadnohair, Bexhill have cakes too? Goodness, I have been missing out .

14/06/2011 at 15:00

Thanks Grandadnohair for the very helpful post,

Just to clarify did you mean after this Sunday when I plan to do my 14mile did you mean a shorter run (10 miles) would be the following Sunday ie the 26th rather than the 19th which is this Sunday?

Appreciate your suggestions and certainly don't want to wear myself out too early.

Fellow forum members, do you have any estimated times yet for completing this event?

15/06/2011 at 14:48

I want to run it sub 2hrs but it wont be by so very much.

I'll prolly go for a 15 mile run this weekend, not too hilly. It might have to be Sun rather than Sat as Sat is my anniversary. (I'm the one who will be shot if I forget.  ).

15/06/2011 at 21:27

I have no idea what time I will do this in as this is my first off road run, I have ran 15 mile in 2.15, but how will running on mostly gravel will effect the old legs and time? I will just have to wait and see I guess.

Happy Anniversary (for Saturday) biker-mouse, I hope you get spoilt rotten .

15/06/2011 at 23:00

I have run this twice and I love it, it's actually my favourite race of all.

Fabulous setting by the water, it has just about everything - a frantic downhill start (threw up a dust storm last year!), a few miles along paths under trees (a big help as can be very warm this time of year), a drag strip of a straight right by the water, more paths and then opens out a bit onto grass. Then, at nine miles, it starts to bite with some testing uphills on lanes and ends with an uphill finish.

It has the best cakes ever and a brass band to soothe you as you relax on grassback back by the start line.

As I mentioned, it can be very warm and so quite testing but one year locals came out with hoses which was great and they have had sponge stations both times I've done it.

It's hard, the latter stages are quite demanding if you're going for a time but what a race, can't recommend it enough. The distance is a beauty too if you've only ever done half marathons before, just that extra bit to add to your experience.

16/06/2011 at 08:57

SteveSW19:  Oops, sorry!  I meant do the14 miler this weekend (19th) as planned then 10miles the following weekend (25th/26th)! I think I got the other dates right!!  

Sharon: Bexhill does great cakes for both the 10k and the Half (I've not been down for their 5ks).  After last November's Half they also had piles of mini choc bars as well - Mars, Twix, Milky Way etc! 

Happy Anniversary biker-mouse. Which one is it?  It was my 38th in April.  I was in the dog house because I went to the London Marathon Expo instead of taking my good lady out.  I'll not make that mistake again!!  

I've been wanting to do Bewl since I started running 4 years ago but not been able to fit it in.  I've walked round a few times, but this will be the first time I've run it, so I'm really looking forward to it (says he 3 weeks before the race!!). 

I'm targetting 2:30, but frankly I'll be pleased if I break 2:40.  I'm just going to enjoy it; maybe stop for a picnic on the way round?  Who knows!!  

19/06/2011 at 12:20
I did this in 2007 and 2008 in 1 hour 40 +, but I believe it's been extended since then and it's now actually 15 miles, so I'll be looking to "scrape under" 2 hours.

I ran both races in road shoes and in 2007 I really struggled with the very, very slippery conditions around the reservoir.

If the recent wet spell continues that will give me a dilemma on whether to wear trail or road shoes. The conundrum is that while trail shoes would be great for the first 10 miles or so, they won't be very comfortable on the final road section.

In 2008 the course was bone dry, so no problem.

Probably best to wait and see what the weather's like during the week before the race.
20/06/2011 at 22:31
Oops I only have road shoes, its gotta be dry .
20/06/2011 at 22:51

Yes, it is now the full 15 miles.  

The new medals are much better as well. 2009 and 2010 are similar to each other but still bespoke to the race.

Sharon, I think you'll be fine in road shoes, I'm going to wear off road as they are my fav pair of shoes apart from my fastwitch which would be torn apart on the surface. I think I ran it in road shoes all 3 time I've run it. The only race I've done every year I've been running.

22/06/2011 at 20:50

Has anyone received their race number yet?

23/06/2011 at 09:20

Mine arrived this morning, hopefully by the time you read this you'll have your.

25/06/2011 at 18:03
Going to run round tomorrow afternoon/evening, I'll let you know what the course is looking like after the rain, still think it will be dry down there though.
27/06/2011 at 21:22

My number arrived today *phew*

Good luck for Sunday everyone

27/06/2011 at 23:09
Looks like it's going to be a sticky week and a sultry weekend. I'm hoping for a thunder storm but that'd mean soggy cakes. - so if you could just put my cake in a doggy bag for me...
28/06/2011 at 08:38

I'm still waiting patiently for mine. 

I love running in the rain, but not off-road.  Anyhow, it looks like being around 20C with some cloud, so could be nice.

How's everyone feeling? Fit?

21 to 40 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.