Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Tunnel Vision

21 to 40 of 195 messages
01/05/2013 at 16:35

doing this for the first time this year. completed my first HM last year doing the Brum HM, but have the feeling this will be a different challenge! normally only going up to 10k on my runs have just started training to get my milage in for this, but looking first and foremost to complete and let the time take care of itself!

I too wondered about luggage and kit etc, but sounds like they have it all in hand. Train to wolves, then bus home from brum, hopefully with all kit in tow!

08/05/2013 at 11:01

its very well organised.

Luggage drop off at start, luggage will be waiting for you at the end,

Great goodie bag,

Showers in NIA

massage (although I think you pay a fiver for this).

08/05/2013 at 20:49

Great idea for the start.I've been put off by the thought of being unable to pass on the path but a staggerd start sounds good.

Can anyone enlighten me on the make up of the path itself as in what percentage is good quality gravel or trail as oppose to uneven grass that might cut up rough in the rain. I'm looking for a good flat PB course and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

08/05/2013 at 21:53

HI BCB,

Although totally flat its not really a PB course, the course depends upon weather but I will go for a pair of old road shoes, they will get muddy, not racing flats. MT shoes will be fine but not really nessacery. Most good gravel.

The bridges towards the end of the race are the killers, just 10' high each but enough to begin to hit already tired legs.

I will say this is a great race, my 5th running. You will love it or hate it though. 

Are you aware of the tunnel

08/05/2013 at 22:25

as a first timer on this course i need to know about the tunnel

09/05/2013 at 14:33

Hi John,

If you look at Irondogs post, the first one on this thread that is a pic of the tunnel. Handrail if you need it, bit slippy underfoot but as long as you remember to take your sunglassess off you will be fine

09/05/2013 at 19:26

Thanks for the advice Chris M,think I'll enter anyway,sounds quite a unique race I'd be daft to miss regardless of it's PB potential

09/05/2013 at 21:15

Another question about the staggered start - any way of predicting the start time? (expected time 1.45), trying to work out the logistics of getting there.

09/05/2013 at 21:18
Chris M wrote (see)

HI BCB,

Although totally flat its not really a PB course, the course depends upon weather but I will go for a pair of old road shoes, they will get muddy, not racing flats. MT shoes will be fine but not really nessacery. Most good gravel.

The bridges towards the end of the race are the killers, just 10' high each but enough to begin to hit already tired legs.

I will say this is a great race, my 5th running. You will love it or hate it though. 

Are you aware of the tunnel

I'd echo that, as I said earlier in this thread, I know these towpaths well from when I lived there, the surface is good all the way round but if it's wet I suspect water will gather, but those bridges at the end will hurt.

09/05/2013 at 21:58

Hahaha and a scary tunnel as well! Killer bridges also,that's it I'm in.Sounds like the most fun you can have in the West Midlands.

09/05/2013 at 23:19

2Wheels,

I think your start time would be about 9:45. I am a 1:40ish and have started at about 9:45, I dont think there is any problem with you starting later, earlier might be a problem when the speed machines are out.

You could mail Irondog, I believe he is one of the organisers.

27/05/2013 at 16:57

I run a fair chunk of this very frequently - I park up just the right side of the tunnel (i.e not having to run through it) and do between 4 and 6 miles out and the same back. Even if it has been raining there aren't that many places that get really muddy. Just before Tipton can be a bit bad but that's about it.

It's not a PB course though - the bridges towards the end can be tough.

I'll be wearing Vivobarefoot breatho's - trail bottom which works with the different surfaces really well.

Can't wait.

27/05/2013 at 18:58

Hi folks,

thinking about signing up for this race - but can't quite decide... can people who have run it before give me three reasons for and three reasons against to help me make up my mind?

Thanks

27/05/2013 at 20:32

Entered for the second year. Last year was my first 1/2 and I said I would never do it again, now I can't wait! 

28/05/2013 at 09:01

Roo,

Against, not a PB course, if you are scared of the dark or clostrophobic the tunnel may give you problems, can be lonely at some points out on the course (but unlikely).

For, gives a different view of the city, great start and finished areas, excellent orgainisation.

I am now going to give some more for's, great goodie bag, showers in NIA, bag transport, easy to get to start and finish areas, the staggered start is well done, massage for a fiver last year.

My fifth running for this event.

Edited: 28/05/2013 at 09:02
28/05/2013 at 21:40

Hi Chris, thank you very much - I will bring my goggles (in case I fall into the canal) and sign up for it - will run it 'for fun' rather than for a PB then from the start... so how long is that tunnel then?  Sounds exciting... Cheers, The Roo

28/05/2013 at 21:54

Good decision roo 38 halfs later this is one of my favorites. Totally unique,no a PB race but great organization and a post race beer at Brindley place. My fourth time I would never miss it. Rain or shine(and it's usually shine) a top race

29/05/2013 at 10:49

The tunnel is 385yards I think (not sure why I have that memorised ), but if you look on the very first post on this thread by Irondog that is a pic of the tunnel.

29/05/2013 at 13:22

I've run this race before and I'm not sure I can answer this question. It's flat, no congestion, ok ish surface, so why isn't a pb course?  I plan to run it as a marathon paced effort as part of training for Chester. Probably.

29/05/2013 at 13:49

I am looking forward to it again. I found it a great fun run, with staggered start. The finish is best ...ending in Brindley place with a great atmosphere and a drink on the ready 

21 to 40 of 195 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.