Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Tunnel Vision

41 to 60 of 195 messages
29/05/2013 at 16:26

Hi Graeme,

I think the course is slightly long, certainly Garmin has given 13.6 for this in the past, but with tunnels and high embankments Sat nav isnt the greatest. I think just the overal lost of traction, the little bridges at the end all readdy begin to 'eat' into your time.

31/05/2013 at 13:15

Just entered. Looks like a good event.

31/05/2013 at 16:09

hi Graeme,

as well as being slightly long I think the surface does not feel as bouncy as tarmac. I'm always about 6 or 8 mins slower despite being flat. Great run though

31/05/2013 at 18:18

I ended up with a bad knee upon finish due to the surfarad. Was out for months but must say I enjoyed it and hoping for round two

01/06/2013 at 15:58

Just back from a 10 mile canal run - felt ok - I am a bit behind on the training front but should get there just in time to make it relatively painfree.... i hope  - how is everyone's training going?  

02/06/2013 at 19:11

Just entered, training is not going great and having been hoping for around 1hr 45 unless things pick up a ridiculous amount I think it will be nearer 2hours (I've predicted 2hr 5 on the entry) but just plan on coming up and enjoying as it's several years since I've been on those towpaths and really looking forward to it.

One little point (which isn't a problem) as I think the organisers are on this thread - but it says £20 on the event page for un-affiliated advance entries but it is actually £22.

05/06/2013 at 08:39

Morning all .

Not long now, only four weeks to go , need to ram up the training big time !

Anyone know if the race is filling up / full ?

05/06/2013 at 11:30

yaaaa KAKS.............

05/06/2013 at 18:19

Just entered. I think this will be my sixth. However long it's been going apart from the first year. Love that it's on a saturday & you can use public transport & have a few beers in Brum.

06/06/2013 at 13:54

Bob, me too. .

You can enjoy your Saturday night & Sunday ~ no long run to do.

Love meeting Family & Friends in Brindley Place and having a few drinks .

Chris M wrote (see)

yaaaa KAKS.............

LOL ! ~ Meant to put RAMP UP THE TRAINING 

06/06/2013 at 23:56

I did this last year and it was my first run over 7 miles. It was muddy and exhausting but it gave me the running bug. Since then I've done 5 marathons and three ultras including London to Brighton (62 miles) a couple of weeks ago and have another 5 marathons booked before the end of October. For any first timers worrying about this please don't, if I can do it anyone can, and it might just be the start of something really good......at least that's what I've told my wife who is doing it this year for the first time!!

10/06/2013 at 20:08

Hi Ian, you are not one for taking it easy by the sound of it  - I have just come back from a 12 mile canal run - feeling fine - so bring it on I say

10/06/2013 at 23:00

Hi The Roo 

well done on your run????. Can't wait for this race, just trying to get some speed back in the legs as I'd love a pb, that said, if its as muddy as last year I'll settle for just having a laugh and enjoying it. See you there!

11/06/2013 at 12:30

Ran a 10km on Sunday, over 7 minutes slower than my PB - that bodes well...

And one of my favourite bands are playing in Stourbridge the night before, so if I'm coming all the way back up North I may as well go and see them and hope I'm not too tired/hungover...

Oh and on a slightly more serious point - are there showers available at the finish?

11/06/2013 at 13:00

2wheels, going off on a bit of tangent, where in stourbridge is the band playing, and who are they?

Living in stourbridge it doesnt always get much of a mention on here so when it does i like to be a nosey git

11/06/2013 at 20:18

John, not sure the name of the venue it's what used to be the rock cafe. Stourbridge's finest The Wonder Stuff are playing there, I'm thinking it will be the "ideal" half marathon warm up!

11/06/2013 at 21:38

Could be tempted by a pre run gig. Have never seen the wonder stuff. Interesting.

11/06/2013 at 23:24

Lots has been said in this thread about the bridges towards the end and how tough they are. Can I ask how many bridges exactly, and how high? Something like the climb to the first floor of a building? It seems to me that, if the bridges are not too brutal and at least are spaced-out and done with quick, that it should be ok. Are we making the bridges out to be a bigger challenge than they are?

Can someone also shed some light on the issue of the route length? I'm a fairly serious runner - maybe 1:25 or so that's all - and am always looking to nail a good time. That's really hard to do of course if the route is long. Any chance that the route length will be looked at before this year's running? 

Edited: 11/06/2013 at 23:26
12/06/2013 at 14:49

Just been prescribed a week long course of anti-biotics for tonsillits, feel absolutely destroyed from walking 5 minutes to the doctor's, at least it explains why I ran so shocking on Sunday... hopefully be alright to run again by the weekend but not overly optimistic

12/06/2013 at 21:47

2wheels, bad luck buddy. Just come off Penicillin myself but that was for a week.

41 to 60 of 195 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.