Boddington Marathon

Is this anyone else's first marathon?

4 messages
10/06/2011 at 10:53

It has been on my list of things to do before I'm 40 and now that milestone is rapidly approaching, I decided to enter. Its only a few miles away from where I live, it appears flat and it is not out and back which if it all goes wrong means not too far to go to get back to the car! Praying now for a little rain on the day.

Anyone else running their first? Also, anyone got any useful tips? I have done a number of 1/2M's and a 20 miler earlier in the year but specific tips for this event would be gratefully received.

10/06/2011 at 14:35
for this one you might want to take a book, or something to keep you entertained. The course is rather dull, and very few people spectate. It is flat, and potentially fast - but 5km laps (i seem to recall) are tough psychologically.
16/06/2011 at 10:52

Many thanks. Useful that the loops are 5k ish as it helps the timings. Wil have to think some happy thoughts as I go round to make sure I don't lose focus!

Thanks for your help

20/06/2011 at 13:34
This is my first (and planned to be my only!) marathon as well.

I've been doing the FIRST plan (on the link below), and I've only missed one run in the whole time (although I did have to repeat a couple of weeks when I had scheduling problems).

I'm hoping for 3.5hrs, but I think I'm going to aim for just under 3hr 25mins - this is based on my 20-mile training run where I managed 8m 7s pace including the five minutes I spent stopping to buy drinks to fill up my bottle.

In the other thread on this forum, someone gives the lap count as "1 x approx 1.5mile, 11 x 2.2mile, 1 x approx 0.5mile to finish".

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.