Bognor Prom 10K

Sun, sand and lots of sweat!!!

21 to 27 of 27 messages
20/05/2007 at 19:23
Good race. Well laid out and controlled. No mixing of people and traffic unlike the last race I entered. Most of the km markers were prominent (had to look carefully for a couple though!). Good weather - bit warm but no strong wind unlike the day before.

I agree with previous comments in that the timing mats were a bit odd, as when I ran over the start mat (when I was finishing) it beeped - something I wasn't expecting. 100yds further at the finish itself, the double mats confused some people in front as they stopped after the first one - getting in my way as I dashed for a drink!

Overall though, a good enjoyable run, and I am pleased to have set a new PB!
21/05/2007 at 12:32
Hi all

Wonderful day for this 10k. Weather perfect and atmosphere great. I too can't get my head around this chip business. The clock said 50mins and 1 second as I steamed accross the finish line. However, I later received a text. Time 53.03 pos 539 chip 52.20 Rank 542. What's that all about?

I ran the Sutton Coldfield 10k the previous Sunday in a similar time and there was also a disparity twixt chip and clock. However, I made sure the the chip was right at the top of my shoe laces enabling a quick removal.

Anyone doing the Goodwood trail on June 2nd? it's a killer. Three bloody great hills to run up and the descents are pebbly, chalky and if wet, trecherous. Real body and mind stuff.

Regards

Phil
21/05/2007 at 13:20
Phil,
Your chip time is the one that matters. This is your actual, recorded time, from crossing the start line to crossing the finish line.
(The other 'time' is recorded from the moment the race began (i.e. 10:30am) and does not take into account the time it took for you to walk/jog up to the start line.)
Rank is your position according to chip times; position is just the order of finishers (depending how quickly you get to the start line, you could run quicker than someone yet still finish behind them, or vice versa - so rank is the one to pay attention to).

21/05/2007 at 16:57
I *loved* it, it was my first time (4th for Funkin)....I was so close to the sub-60, but I am chuffed to bits with how I paced it and got another PB. I was also so chuffed to pace it well enough that the final 2 km's I was just gently catching people and I reckon I gained a good 40 places. I missed the 2km marker and I think 3 and 4 were a bit squonky but otherwise good. Downsides? Only 13 portaloos for 1300 people. Upsides? Loads and loads! This is going down as the favourite 10km race I have done (I haven't done many, but still...!). I was in esteemed company with the 8th place and 50th place finishers too, whilst I was 921st ;)

See you all next year!

Mrs F
21/05/2007 at 17:28
I really enjoyed the run, such a lovely day and such beautiful scenery. Only moan would be about the end when we were bottlenecked but that is my only moan! I was pleased to see so many people watching, while eating their icecreams! Mrs Funkin well done on your PB, BR is a good place for them! I ran with my husband and friend and all of us got PB's, so will def do it again!
23/05/2007 at 16:08
Wild Card Dave,

Thanks for the explanation, would it benefit to get amongst the "elite" at the front and be passed, rather than shuffling along in the middle somewhere?

Regards

Phil
funkin-baby    pirate
25/05/2007 at 09:31
It probably would benefit, but would be frowned upon by many (I've got a couple of running books that repeat the same thing). Most people opt to start slightly ahead of where they should start, but moving to the elite start is bound to stir up trouble!

Of course, if everyone started at the right position in the first place, there'd be little need for shuffling.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.