Bolton Hill Marathon

21 to 40 of 248 messages
30/10/2012 at 12:11

The course looks fantastic and I've signed up already, but I'm wondering what people will be wearing to carry the recommended 1.5 litres of water?

That much water would easily fit into a Camelbak bladder, but filling it during the run would be quite tricky. I don't know of a bumbag that will take two 750ml bottles, so would one bottle in a bumbag and one in a rucksack work? That seems like quite a bit of baggage to carry for a marathon. Alternatively are there any rucksacks that take two 750ml bottles (in side pockets for easy access) that can be recommended?

31/10/2012 at 22:12
Am in, looking forward to this marathon will be a kick start to my 2013 ultra season, see you all there :0)
31/10/2012 at 22:14
The OMM mountain marathon classic 25l would carry a water bottle either side of the ruck sack, like you say it's a bit obsessive the amount of water we have to carry, I only drink 500mls of fluid in a marathon on a hot day, so have to look at that.
06/11/2012 at 22:15

Hi WWW and Pete, glad you are looking forward to the marathon.

Please note that the water is just advisory and not set in stone, if you start with no water than that's up to you just bare in mind that there is only 4 water stations. I will change the site slightly to make it clearer it is up to the runner. I personally only go through 250ml whilst running a marathon but i put myself in the bracket of a more experienced marathon runner.All stations will have bottled water so you could grab a bottle at each station and run with it in your hand until you get to the next? it really is up to you. Looking forward to seeing you and please feel free to ask any more questions.

08/11/2012 at 10:08

Thanks for clarifying the water situation. I usually carry a 500ml bottle anyway so I'll just top it up at the four drinks stations.

08/11/2012 at 21:36

I've just done my first ever marathon last Sunday... the Rutland Marathon... and am very tempted for this as my second, as my wife's family are local to Bolton. Should I...should I not?

08/11/2012 at 22:20
I am so tempted by this hate hills but need to conquer them my run club often goes round rivi so used to the area and best time of year to do it as i prefer cool weather so think I'm gonna do it there's time to put in the training (just)
08/11/2012 at 22:26
Go for it juleswill, don't let them hills beat you!!
09/11/2012 at 12:28
Just booked!!!.... my wife has peed herself with laughter called me insane and asked "You do know what winter hill looks like don't you?"
09/11/2012 at 12:49

Well done LYDLT, just for people who are not familiar with Winter Hill it stands out of the landscape all around the north west of England and is one of the iconic hills in England due to its massive mast tower on top which is around 1,100 foot high and 3mtrs wide and can be seen for around 100miles a night due to its lights (you run right past this along the course) but don't look up for to long LOL! Winter hill is around 1,500ft high and when your running along the course if its a clear day you can see as far north as the Lake District, if you look west you can see Snowdonia and Blackpool tower, east you can see the Yorkshire dales and south you can see all of Manchester and Bolton, it is a truly spectacular course unless its foggy. PS they are snow poles on the website photo on the road

09/11/2012 at 17:02
Thank's HR... Sounds lovely... I must remrmber to pack my camera Hopefully the snow poles won't be needed
09/11/2012 at 18:45

well ive signed up now but on the website while trying to work out the course the bit that says click here for full directions isnt working (I am terrible with maps) and i will be trying (hopefully) to do bits of the course as training thereby conquering the hills in advance! Ill be so proud of myself if I manage this one

09/11/2012 at 21:31

Hi Juleswill1 thanks for your entry, You should be proud it will be a massive achievement and good luck with the training. The reason the directions are not there is we have had to change how we run around the start/finish area due to the council, should be back up there in a week a little amendment but safety is always our priority. I will be running the course tomorrow and put my garmin trace on the site, if you have one then simply upload the course to yours.If you or anyone is interested on Sat 26th Jan 10am at Moss Bank Park second car park i will be organising a little friendly jog of the first 4 miles and last 4 miles, if you don't fancy a jog you can simply come along and meet me, ask any questions about the race, nutrition, training or exercises or anything else

10/11/2012 at 23:43

Garmin trace now on website for you to upload

11/11/2012 at 16:06
Now. How do I train for this race? Do I just follow a normal marathon training prog but do it on trails and fit in as many hills as I can?
11/11/2012 at 19:06
Doing plenty of off road hill work will do you no harm whatever marathon you are running, its difficult to advise unless knowing what your goal is but start the training now, core work,tempo,hills,reps are a must and a long run each week is a good start
11/11/2012 at 23:31
16 weeks 6 days 10hrs 1 mins to go
21/11/2012 at 16:17

Mmmm, Thinking about this

But i'm one of those pesky half marathon runners that probably got in your way!!

The weather conditions at that time of year would be my main concern, i'm a bit of a wuss too

21/11/2012 at 17:46
Karen I did Rutland the other week and it was rain all the way and just above freezing. I'd prepared for the weather in what I wss wearing and what I'd left in the car when I got back... and I loved it all the more because of the extra challenge the weather created.
Don't worry about your speed.... you've not seen how slowly I "run"
As long as you can do it in 8 hours
21/11/2012 at 20:04
I agree LYDLT , I also did rutland watter although in the leading bunch I still managed to enjoy it. Little disapointed no medals and missed out on a trophy I loved the weather and my cold shower in the car park .
KT and everyone I have organized a little jog and question get together if you live local, we are a friendly bunch here and I will be more than happy to go through training, nutrition and anytning about the marathon with you or if you just want to meet other marathon runners it would be a good time to do it. You don't have to enter the marathon to come along just come and see what you think of the course, then decide if you want to enter unless it fills.
21 to 40 of 248 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.