Bolton Hill Marathon

81 to 100 of 248 messages
05/01/2013 at 14:35

Ah whoops - it appears I slipped on the keyboard and entered anyway

07/01/2013 at 12:13

Dear Phil

Thanks for confirming details of the recce. I am really familiar with the bits you are doing as I run it regularly with number one dog. Are there any plans to run any other bits of the course prior to the day?

best wishes

Maria

07/01/2013 at 21:38

I run around the course regular, if you want to do a recce on any other part of the course then feel free to join me just email me to let me know which bits and when it best suits you, to be honest if its just the directions you are worried about then don't. The course will be fully marked with yellow/black arrowed signs labeled as marathon and red/white tape hanging around course, i don't see any problem unless people start messing with then which is unlikely, having said that i have been lost on bigger  trail marathons before, you normally find someone who knows the route or has a map or a marshal close by.

07/01/2013 at 22:08
Hi Phil,
On your web site u advise on carrying extra clothing, map, whistle, etc. Should this still be the case? I ask because I've never ran distance runs with a backpack before. Should I now get in training wearing one? :0)

Cheers
09/01/2013 at 08:39

Hi Robert,

Well as you say it is advisory and up to your ability,experience and common sense. There are many less mileage races on Winter Hill which these items are mandatory and bag checks are made but we trust that entrants to this marathon and we have made the decision that the entrant can decide what they carry. I would certainly be carrying the minimum of a fully charged mobile phone,some energy treats and a water proof jacket depending on weather forecast. if i was a less experienced runner then a light backpack carrying whatever you feel necessary  to complete the race, there are plenty of light running backpacks/bumbags out there which you probably wont make much difference to your performance (such as raidlight), If you intend wearing one then yes train with one on, i would not go for a long run on my own over rural areas without carrying water/energy food/waterproof jacket/map and means of contact in case i get an injury etc.

Hope this helps

09/01/2013 at 09:34
Hi Hilrunner! I'm another Comrades runner, going for my third this year and trying to find a marathon that i can do in March and stumbled across this! Sounds hellish but hey...my big worry is
a) being able to get the day off work
b) the weather
but mainly
c) i have never bought/owned/run in trail shoes - i do Compton 40 every year but there's no need for trail shoes in the balmy south! i wouldnt know where to begin and worry i could pick up an injury a couple of months before Comrades?

Can i get away with regular shoes for the recce in Jan (not signed up yet) or should i get trail shoes before then???
09/01/2013 at 10:46
Hi carmen23,

Should be ok to wear an old pair of running shoes as there are small sections of mud but mainly on the recce its tarmac and gravel paths and hard grassy paths, ideally for the marathon you will need trail shoes.

See you on 26th
09/01/2013 at 14:25

Dear Phil

Thanks for that. Not too worried about getting lost, I'm sure the markings will be fine I just thought it would be interesting to have a go at the sections I'm not too familiar with. As there are a few of us from Burnden maybe we can have a club recce before the day.

What is the limit on the number of runners? is it 155 as the list on your website?

best wishes

Maria

09/01/2013 at 18:35
Hi Maria

We can get something organised if you want with your club , what about Sunday 27th morning I can run your runners round whatever section they want whatever distance. We have a permit for 250 however we had to make a decision regarding medals etc which as you probably are aware is a big cost , we ordered 155 medals, unfortunately entry's have picked up and we only have 15 places remaining. We might open it to another 50 entries but don't count on this!
10/01/2013 at 18:50

Dear Phil

Thanks for the offer of a recce, I will email around & get back to you if that' s okay?

I recced part of the course today and it's fab, really muddy in places but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best wishes

Maria

10/01/2013 at 18:54
Thanks for the response! Sounds like you may be sold out soon - but I may come along on the 26th!
10/01/2013 at 23:42
Ok look forward to hearing from you soon Maria and glad u enjoy the course, its no fun if you don't get muddy Carmen you are welcome to come along Maria from stansfield will be dropping in on us as well be worth comming
13/01/2013 at 21:09

hi phil what have i let myself in for there aint many hills in kings lynn to prepare but im hoping ill get it done and make it marathon number 9 did want to get to 10 before im 40 in april but hey ho so ill sneak another 1 in at the end of april as my bruv who now lives in bolton says ill be reet !!

14/01/2013 at 14:51

Hi Phil, another Burndener here, I am contemplating this but just nursing a sore arm at the moment so was holding off until a couple of weeks, wanting to get some more hill miles in first too.  I notice you say there are only limited places left now, wondering how much longer I have to make my decision.

14/01/2013 at 17:23

Hi, its looking like entries will close end of Jan, i will update latest entry list soon on the site

15/01/2013 at 12:21

I have just signed up for this.  It will be a run/walk marathon for me considering where my training is at the moment.  But being local (Wigan) and with the course around one of my favourite places I could not resist.  I wish I had seen it sooner so I could be better prepared.  Cheers Phil for organising it.

15/01/2013 at 13:00

Flatters - I'll be run/walking it too, so you won't be on your own!

15/01/2013 at 14:11

I'm in and Looking forward to it 

Thanks Phil for organizing a marathon that starts less than a mile from my front door.

15/01/2013 at 20:18

Hello there Hillrunner,

Well I have gone for it. I did just shy of 10 miles of the course last week, although I went down to the car park beneath the gardens, rather than going round the back of the pike.

It looks a fantastic course, thanks for all your efforts in making it happen. I run Winter Hill often but tend to stay on the Bolton side.

Better buckle down and get some training done now so that I can complete it!!!

15/01/2013 at 22:06

Looking Good Everyone

The Marathon is now FULL! however we are hoping to reopen and allow another 45 entries tomorrow hopefully, will post on here to let you all know. 

81 to 100 of 248 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.