Bolton Hill Marathon

141 to 160 of 248 messages
03/02/2013 at 08:33

I recognise  a few mad faces on there, and a few nutters too   What were conditions like yesterday? Having been up to the mast twice this week, on Monday it was unrunnable with thick snow iced over deep ridges you would crook your ankle in, the second time, on Thursday, compeltely melted, completely drained of water and a nice trek to the top.  I have a few pictures of the last week but they're on my phone and I'm not sure how to get them across to you Phil.

p.s that White Coppice loop is a cheeky one, not looking forward to the way back from the loop, very rocky underfoot.

03/02/2013 at 11:13

Hi Phil, I'm I was wondering if there are any recommended spectator spots along the route? I don't know the area very well, but looking at the map, there seems to be a road nearish the White Coppice loop. Could spectators see runners going one way then the other? They'd also have chance to see the start, drive there, see me hobble pass, and get the finish line (long before!) I get there. Any thoughts?

Like I say, I don't really know the area, but I live in Manc so thinking about a few training runs there in the near future.

03/02/2013 at 18:21

I went out for the recce run on Saturday. Don't be put off by the graph, that first hill is miles long but it's steady. The graph makes it look like speed mountaineering. I don't think it's one for PB's though.

If the recce was anything to go by, they are really going above and beyond to make this a good one. See you there in five weeks!

03/02/2013 at 20:12

Beev, The conditions where fantastic and everyone seem to enjoy the fantastic views and lovely weather although it was a little cold on the top of winter hill! It wouldn't be a trail race without a bit of mud and rocky surface, no point finishing a trail race clean people might think we where being easy on you . If you have a computer with blue-tooth you can blue-tooth them to your computer and then attach them on an email.

I will post all pictures of the recce on the website in a bit. PS THERE IS ONLY 18 PLACES REMAINING IF YOU ARE THINKING OF ENTERING AND THERE WILL BE NO MORE AVAILABLE!!

TGB, glad you enjoyed it and good to meet you!!

Chris, for some reason your email address is not working if you want to private email me i will put you on the email list so you keep updated. The only place they can see you twice is White Coppice, you can either park at the Cricket ground which has a car park and about a 300mtr walk to the course or park at the water station. Rivington lower barn will also be good as there is always something going on to keep them entertained although you only go past once around 20mile mark.You should have come on the recce that is a great training run.

05/02/2013 at 12:51

Finally signed up - been talking it up for the last couple of months and now that I have got round to it I am looking forward to it. Home town marathon and starts about five minutes away from my front door so can't wait. My girlfriend will be pleased she can go back home and have a nap once I've started! Not run up the mast for too long so might try and rediscover my climbing legs that way over the weekend!

05/02/2013 at 21:34

Really enjoyed the recce, lets hope the weather on the day is as kind. Great to meet Kris and Phil who look to have this even well and truly organised. Just need to get the training in now with the other Burnden nutters

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 21:34
05/02/2013 at 21:49

Great to meet you Phil, i am praying for a day like last week

07/02/2013 at 17:24

I really enjoyed the recce. I rarely run with a group and it was great meeting everyone. If all the runners on race day are as good to get on with it should make for a great day.

Will no doubt bump into some of you running the hills before the date - perhaps a BHM signal should be adopted when passing fellow runners  

Roll on race day, see you all there.

07/02/2013 at 17:53

Been and done a 13 mile circuit today which took in the first part then down to the school and back up the muddy path (you weren't kidding there) and the end part of the marathon.  All I can say is that grassy hill is going to be a killer at 22 miles.  Saw another runner out on the route today and I did wonder if they were one of the mad 200

07/02/2013 at 21:06

Think we've recced it all now - excited and terrified at  the same time 

07/02/2013 at 22:38

I haven't recce'd it - am not sure whether I want to before the day, or have a surprise....

07/02/2013 at 22:40

The weather has made some of the paths very interesting, lets hope for a bit of sunshine on the day which would make a change to rain,snow and wind! Hope your all ready to high5 me as i will be standing in places around the course cheering you on. Its certainly going to be an emotional and tough day for some of you but it will be all worth while when you cross over the finish line.

The best advise i can give is keep smiling take your time over the first 4 miles and save your energy for the last climb back over the hill.

We will have some high5 energy gels and ISO gels at drinks stations along with some sugar sweets and flapjacks, make sure you take on board some fuel and don't be worried about taking some time out at the aid stations if you need it. Good luck and see you all at the start in 4 weeks

08/02/2013 at 12:31

Well I'll get a bit of an unofficial recce in the morning. Doing the Anglezarke Amble which looks to cover some of the same route, and certainly similar terrain.

I just hope come race day Phil has baked lots of cakes like the LDWA bunch do.....do you think I'm hoping for a bit much there

08/02/2013 at 17:16
Do ldwa supply you with gels, medals prizes, goodie bags and uka official marathon and yes we will be supply flapjacks? If you just wanted cakes should have turned to the recce last week we had loads left LOL
08/02/2013 at 20:01

D'OH!!

Unfortunately couldn't make last week, had a date with some rice krispie cakes on the Rombald stride .Was going to come to the previous recce but unfortunately the weather sort of spoiled that one!

08/02/2013 at 23:05

Yeah this weather is driving me mad! All races i entered this year have been canceled and looking at the weather Sunday could be in the same boat!! We are due some nice sunny warm still days lets hope it comes on 10th March for us all!

08/02/2013 at 23:13

hi mate norfolk boy here so what do you reckon trail trainers for march 10th then is it mud a plenty on them there hills ?

12/02/2013 at 11:03

Managed to get around the Anglezarke Amble on Saturday so feeling a bit (only a teeny bit mind) more confident about the real thing. The going was really tough on Saturday - very heavy and boggy - and muddy too. Loved the cake stops though especially the jam butties and Christmas cake.

Great idea about the BHM signal - every time I see someone up Rivi I am wondering if they are a fellow loony. Hope everyone's training is going well 

12/02/2013 at 22:07

AN14 I hope you get plenty of mud and would definitely wear trail trainers, anyone who finishes the marathon clean will be disqualified lol

18/02/2013 at 22:57

We hope you are all fit and ready for the BHM with just over 2 weeks to go until the big day! All the team are looking forward to seeing you all on the day and giving you you’re “Conqueror of the Hills 2013 Marathon Medal”. Final instructions will be posted on the website Thursday morning and also emailed out to all runners. PLEASE COLLECT YOUR RACE NUMBERS FROM RACE HQ ON THE DAY and this will be signposted from both car parks. Please note in the final instructions there is a minor amendment to the Start/Finish location (100yrds) in the park as Bolton Council have notified us of unforeseen and urgent work what needs to be carried out there, obviously this will have no impact on the marathon distance. We would like to take this opportunity to welcome our latest sponsors High5 to the Marathon; this means that all water/feed stations will in addition carry a limited amount of High5 energy gels and ISO gels. We wish you all good luck and would like to take this opportunity in wishing you well on the day.

141 to 160 of 248 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.