Born to Run Ultra (40 Miles)

81 to 100 of 138 messages
30/01/2013 at 20:36
Should be a good weekend Swansea imp run sat then wembley the next day.sounds like your training going ok a good 31 miles in the bag.I'm doing 25 Saturday try to keep a good pace and try a few goodies on the way.that will be my last long run untill born to run.how was your legs after the 31 Swansea jack ...
31/01/2013 at 16:22

they were not too bad did a lot of walking monday then four and half tues and 6 last nite but i feel a little jaded today so will rest tonight  and do 10 tomorrow nite all being well think i had a 3 course meal when i did the 31

QB
01/02/2013 at 09:45

Hello

I've entered this also as of yesterday. Treating it as a training (hard test!) run ahead of a 100km end of May. As such I won't get a taper before but will try and keep training up to and through it and so will be going especially slow!

Sounds like a really scenic course? (don't know area at all) And it is all on tarmac so very much road shoes whatever the weather? One last any nods as to cheap hotel close to start for night before? (sadly have to train or drive back to London straight after so won't get to enjoy the post run drinks)

01/02/2013 at 22:52

Hello

I'm not running this race, but I am local and will be there supporting

It's a lovely scenic route, i run sections of it regularly. Good luck to you all. I'm being slowly tempted for next year...

Premier Inn is the nearest hotel QB, not sure of their rates that weekend though.

02/02/2013 at 07:19

QB - I think Travelodge are offering good deals too, there's a couple in the area.

02/02/2013 at 08:21

My training for this has been crap, I did it last year and am looking forward to it again but I know it's going to feel bad

QB
02/02/2013 at 11:21

Great - thanks Jen and Shades, I'll look at getting something organised for night before

EKGO - don't think that you'll be alone in that! Only done this distance once before and it wasn't pretty! Just got to take it slow and enjoy as much as possible, and in my case try and save something for the long drive back after

12/02/2013 at 16:18

not long to go now

15/02/2013 at 18:20

A week to go, look forward to seeing you all, hope you have all got the communications

18/02/2013 at 19:24
Hitting the pasta this week & jacket spuds.looks like weather will be fresh and cold good for running.looking forward to it...see you all Friday or Saturday morning.
20/02/2013 at 06:58

I may DNS having seen the forecast, with wind chill factor a 'feels like ' temp of -7 is too cold for me.  I'm hoping the forecast changes.  Will make a decision on Friday.

20/02/2013 at 12:52
20 minutes in and you'll be dropping the jacket, give it a go
20/02/2013 at 13:34

I would not be dropping the jacket.   I ran Draycote 35 one year when it was warmer than that and had to DNF due to the cold.   Friend of mine suffered frostbite that day too...on his ears!

Not worth travelling from Devon to DNF

Am still hoping the weather forecast will change

20/02/2013 at 17:48

was hoping for a bit warmer but will wear a jacket over my vest and longseele top plus a woolie hat and gloves  and shorts trained all winter plus worked as a postie in swansea in them all being well will be o k think i am looking forward to it only one run so far this week  plus doing my del last day at work tomorrow hitting the donuts and pasta this week

QB
20/02/2013 at 18:46

Really -7? I had missed that. I'll take a few layers as been training and manual work this week so will be slow. I'm assuming that this course will be very exposed

20/02/2013 at 19:35

Guys, I ran on the course this morning - this was the view. It was fresh but not overly cold.

Just walked 30 mins out there now and it was colder but still ok.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/518567/gallery/2013-02-20_machynys_small_2.jpg?width=350

20/02/2013 at 19:51

Nice photo Kev!

I'm going to be handing out the water n jelly babies on saturday  so I may poss have my down jacket on!!!

QB, the coast part of the course can be a bit exposed, but the loop up to Tumble is woody and more sheltered.

Good luck to everyone running.

20/02/2013 at 20:29
lush picture Kev. Come on shades come and join the party . I've got 2 days off now because of weather to cold to fix in my game so will relax for 2 days . Just done a slow 4 tonight 2 on Friday before getting train over the bridge . Looking forward to the run.have you done the exmoor ultra shades ? ?
21/02/2013 at 07:05

My friend and I will decide Friday morning whether to run, dependant on forecast.  Last year I didn't run any races if the temp was less than +10 degrees as I was carrying a hamstring origin injury and that injury has now healed.   But I still suffer in the cold, wouldn't mind so much for a marathon but 40 miles is a lot longer out on the course, don't want to risk injury as I have an important target to meet later in the year.

blakester-  No, never done Exmoor.  I don't do off road events, tough race I believe.

21/02/2013 at 11:41
Thanks shades have entered good training run for the wall run only problem week before London marathon ... Any updates on weather . Donuts sounds good Swansea imp . Good work jenf will say hello keep up the good work ...
81 to 100 of 138 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.