Bournemouth Marathon 2013

21 to 40 of 178 messages
03/01/2013 at 21:56

Its aimed at the charity market so may not get the repeat business events like this need. You need year on year growth until you get sustainable level of entry. Road racing on this level is expensive.

The first couple of years will be good for them people locally taking on a new challenge but after 2 maybe 3 years you could find people have been there and done that. Bournemouth is a great place in October its cold windy and pisses with rain the sea front can be grim. 

Its not a pb course, the price will put off a lot of people and the reputation of the organisers doesnt bode well long term

04/01/2013 at 18:26

I take it they're using the seafront so they don't have to pay for road closures?  If it is a pleasant October day I would think the seafront would be quite busy.

04/01/2013 at 18:30
I've also noticed it says that Bournemouth is in Hampshire. The last time I looked it was in Dorset.
05/01/2013 at 14:42

Barnsley you are right about road closure. Motorist is king round these parts.

05/01/2013 at 17:02

Glad I saw this thread, was already thinking that it was a but pricey but was going to email a friend from down that way and suggest that we both did this. The links to the feedback for the other events that these promote are a real eyeopner!

Edited: 05/01/2013 at 17:03
09/01/2013 at 17:33

Just looked at this because I too was interested until I realised price and the fact it was not run by a club.  The price for the 10k is nearly £25 too - I know some fancy London ones are that price but here in the Westcountry we are more used to £15 tops.

Also bizarre that they are advertising it and taking bookings when the route isnt even published. 

Another miss from me......

11/01/2013 at 11:39

I was looking at this one as well, but may change my mind having heard your comments.  Other options I was looking at are Loch Ness, Abingdon or New Forest.  Can't afford to pay a fortune to travel to event so that may remove Loch Ness from the list.  What's the New Forest like?  I have heard that the lap after the half marathoners leave is more multi terrain?

11/01/2013 at 12:56

Loch Ness has a good reputation but is quite hard to get to, especially if you need to be back the next day to take the kids to school etc, it's a good 4 hour drive from Glasgow or, if I recall correctly, you need to be on your toes and back to the airport pretty quickly, the last Birmingham flight for example is 17:30 although there is a London flight after 8pm. Certainly a few years ago you had to be there the day before to regsister too. The flights are that expensive, book now and you'll be under a hundred quid.

For an autumn marathon I'd say Chester is a good race, flat(ish) with a couple of short hills, you'll struggle to find a better organised race, good parking, close enough to the city centre for your family to see you off, have a brew and a wander around and then get back to the finish, pretty reasonably priced for a closed road event too at about 40 quid.

11/02/2013 at 14:42

Route announced Here ya go

11/02/2013 at 16:24
A lot of out and back bits. Could be tough work on a windy day.
I've now signed up for Abingdon as its got a great reputation and was 38 quid with no card charges.
11/02/2013 at 19:33

Won't be that bad on a windy day with all those turnarounds. One mintue the wind will be in your face, the next it'll be at your back.

As a local there is no way i'm going to pay £50 to run that route.  It's not exactley inspiring.

12/02/2013 at 15:40

Your not the only one Gertie Abingdon has entries?

24/02/2013 at 20:29
Shame about the price,still may do this Iam looking for a 1st marathon in sept oct this year,could be a good despite people being put off with the price..

New forest is half that ,but quite hilly
24/02/2013 at 20:40

I was signing up for this race until I got to the price page and quite quickly closed the page. a big rip off. I am doing the purbeck marathon instead which if I remember correctly came 3rd on runnersworld charts last yr. Well looking forward to it although the hills will probably be in my dreams for an age afterwards

24/02/2013 at 21:01

I have signed up to do the half didn't really think of the price as signed up when everyone was going on about the price of the Royal Parks £46.00 so £27 for the half seemed ok.

I suppose it is more expensive than my usual locally based ones.

I am making a weekend of it so if you compare it to theatre tickets or a footy match I don't feel its too bad for a change of scenery.

25/02/2013 at 13:11

Unfortunately I jumped in as soon as I saw this, being a local, I thought it would be great to do a local marathon which could be quickish.

Looks like I've lost £50 as there's no way I'm investing 18 weeks of training into running up and down the prom. To quote someone from Twitter: ''it's on my usual training route with punishment loops thrown in''.

I've now entered Abingdon which from experience is well run event with an excellent atmosphere; only wish I'd waited.

26/02/2013 at 19:55
For me it would be 1st ever marathon, I don't really care about the price,and not quite sure what people expect tp see on a marathon running in bournemouth,

Maybe going though the town would have been an option but police fee to cover it would have cost 1000s..

It's taking in both piers and the sea front ,sand banks and poole harbour.

For me a finish is what I will be looking for
26/02/2013 at 22:35

Some great photos of the seafront on the website. Doesn't always look like that in October, especially with a SW gale blowing.

26/02/2013 at 22:48
Could be hard to pace if there is a gale blowing on the day.
27/02/2013 at 19:25
What others would you advise at at time of the year? I live in Dorset and be my 1st
21 to 40 of 178 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.