Bournemouth Marathon 2013

61 to 80 of 178 messages
18/06/2013 at 09:34

I signed up.  This is my first full marathon done 4 half marathons.  I have seen a lot of complaints about the price.  I honestly did not think it was that bad.

I am from the US, but marathon prices are comparable to this one.  This one is a little more if you factor in the currency being stronger.  It is the first year doing the event so start up cost are high, race packets are pretty generous and the man power including security and medical staff cost money.  Honestly, as long as the race is put together well I think it is well worth the 50 quid.  

18/06/2013 at 11:25

The offer for my spare entry still stands if anyone's interested (see about 14 posts above this one).

18/06/2013 at 17:35

Hi all

The biggest incentive for me is time of year!  I don't mind Autumnal weather - unless the global warming effect means we get 25c. If i survive this one I may be more fussy about the price - but training through winter ice rules out spring marathons for me.  Just wondering if Bournemouth can put on a good display of entertainment/support - I'm optimistic.

18/06/2013 at 17:48

Can be proper fresh down on that prom in October. I've been up and down there a few times.

19/06/2013 at 09:17

I think i can face anything after sleet/freezing rain at Reading Half this year!  Running by the sea - hope the novelty factor will keep me going.  Do we run past the nudist beach  - could put me off my stride!  Or, I'll run faster ...

28/06/2013 at 07:23

CC3: No not the nudist beach, unless you get on the ferry at Sandbanks. The whole course is squeezed into an 8/9 mile stretch of seafront between Hengistbury Head and Sandbanks.

17/07/2013 at 23:55

Gets better and better.....they're charging £8 to travel 2.7 miles on the bus from the finish back to the start.

30/07/2013 at 10:24

Just get a day pass on the city bus, they go everywhere.  Less than  £4

30/07/2013 at 21:38

Surprised to see so many negative comments about the organiser,  did Edinburgh in May and was impressed. Agreed it's expensive but at least it's cheaper than the complete rip-off that is Brighton! Am doing a marathon each month this year, this is my last one in the UK.  Bit worried the route looks a bit back and forth but it still looks worth a try!

03/08/2013 at 23:19

Hi signed up and got a place in the marathon bit worried training is going ok but the costs are mounting up now.

We were going to stay over night but one hotel owner said B and B and hotels had pushed the prices up by 50% 

Parking is £4 all day which is reasonable but the shuttle bus to the finish is £8 each there are 3 of us running does anyone know if the local buses are running that day?

05/08/2013 at 15:22

I'll probably walk from the finish back to the start, looks to be a little over 2 miles. I'm only doing the half though.

Looks like you can get a Yellow Bus 1C from the finish (Exeter Road) most of the way. Assuming it's running, not sure what's happening with road closures.

Parking at the train station might be another option, it's about half way between the start and the finish.

14/08/2013 at 11:36

Will there be runners world pace makers at this event?

21/08/2013 at 00:06

Hey guys getting closer. 

Not much of a buzz about this race Facebook is a bit meh! And there's not a lot of chatting on RW either. Have not had a lot of feedback from the organisers either. 

Why do you think this is ?

Looking forwards to the day hope the weather is kind. 

21/08/2013 at 08:22
I think the price and the cost of "extras" has put a lot of the more serious runners off.
It did for me anyway.
21/08/2013 at 08:27

agree Millsy, and the fact I did one of their events last and vowed not to return

21/08/2013 at 15:22

I see. The cost of the shuttle bus is high. I contacted a taxi company they will charge £8 for four of us as opposed £8 ea. 

It's the first time the race has been held I'm sure it won't be that bad 

21/08/2013 at 15:38
I'll wait and see what everyone says about it after.
It just seemed a bit like Ryanair with credit card charges, bus charges etc. on what was already an expensive entry fee.
Maybe I've got it all wrong but it did seem like they were out to get as much money out of you as possible.
Instead of spending around 60 quid on this one, I'm doing Abingdon for 38 and that has a really good reputation for a really well run event and a fast flat course.
I could also have done the Clarendon marathon for 25 quid or the new forest marathon for 28.
21/08/2013 at 18:46

What other events do the organisers do?

23/08/2013 at 07:10

I did the kilomathon last October where the logistics were awful. Queues of over an hour in the freezing cold waiting for the one mini bus to return. There's a thread about it on RW. 

01/09/2013 at 00:31

Apologies for my late entry onto this thread but I thought I would try and inject some much needed positivity! I for one have been training hard for this (apparently overpriced) marathon and am looking forward to a good day with my fellow runners. If it turns out to be as bad as some people expect it to be then so be it, but in the mean time, bring it on!! I am never sure why some folks feel the need to criticise a race before it's even happened - if you don't like the sound of it, don't enter - there are plenty of other races out there! Good luck to all who have entered what could be a great marathon - see you on the day

61 to 80 of 178 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.