Bournemouth Marathon 2013

1 to 20 of 178 messages
06/12/2012 at 09:38

The 1st Bournemouth Marathon Festival, bring it on! Anyone else signed up yet?

06/12/2012 at 17:21

i might sign up for marshalling.

06/12/2012 at 19:54
Not at fifty quid! Plenty of other races around for a lot less than that!
I was really interested until I saw the price.
06/12/2012 at 21:39
Yep ??50 a bit steep even if it is my home town
08/12/2012 at 10:27

This event is organised by a commercial company GSI events that have a history of making a hash of races.

The last race they did was a farce; they cancelled an event quite close to the event because they hadn't got the course sorted.

They are behind Edinburgh Marathon which is one of the lowest rated city centre events in the country.

You have been warned.

10/12/2012 at 10:31

i'm interested in this one, and was told that its the same people who organise Edinburgh and thought Edinburgh got really good reviews, all the people who i know have ran Edinburgh said they loved it, not keen on the price which i think will keep alot of people from signing up so cant see it selling out so will probably leave it til nearer the day before signing to it

10/12/2012 at 10:37

I did the Kilomathon which was organised by GSI - wouldn't touch one of their events again with a barge pole.........

10/12/2012 at 13:40
This must be one of the most expensive marathons around. I'd be suprised if they got anywhere near selling out.
I wonder where they got the idea that fifty quid was a fair price to charge for a new event run by a company with some pretty poor feedback.
12/12/2012 at 15:58

I ran Edinburgh in 2008 (not sure if it was the same event organisers then) and thought it was excellent. Agree with price being fairly steep though, but as I failed to get into London via the Ballot again this year £50 is cheap compared to having to raise around £2000 for a charity place!

17/12/2012 at 22:34

again another interested party who won't be signing up- 50 pounds, far too expensive!

24/12/2012 at 19:26

Yeah was looking for a Marathon next autumn as my first and Bournemouth is not too far from Winchester, but £50 I think not!!!

Also it's a bit worrying that they can't give details of the route yet!!!! is it a loop or more likely from the info on the site about buses it's a run out and bus back and I'm sure I read somewhere that the buses were a farce on the kilomarathon organised by the same company.

Got a feeling a weekend in Chester (or possibly Berlin) is more likely for me.

24/12/2012 at 21:41
Seems a bit of a rip off to me!
25/12/2012 at 18:58

I've no experience of GSI but I too did what I thought was a `special' marathon in my home city of Hull this year.  Again, a commercial company and an absolute shambles.  No mile markers, a portion of the runners sent the wrong way meaning they only did 23 miles.  Change of course in the morning due to lack of marshals meant the rest of us did about 25.9 miles.  There were meant to be road closures but weren't, leaving people in danger.

I'm not saying Bournemouth marathon will be the same, but in your shoes I'd be asking some very serious questions and seeking `cast iron' (not the Cameron variety) guarantees.

25/12/2012 at 19:00

In contrast, I've done the North Dorset Marathon, organised by a running club, half the price and with no other object in mind than to provide a good race for runners.  I know where my money would be going if I still lived down there...

25/12/2012 at 20:30
New forest marathon is around the same time and a lot cheaper.
26/12/2012 at 08:40

£47.50 then £3 CC charge parking all day in the town is about a tenner then theres the bus back from the pier to Kings park so well over £60 for a first road marathon LOL

cougie    pirate
26/12/2012 at 10:33
I've done the Edinburgh marathon and apart from delays in bag reclaim I thought it was fine.
03/01/2013 at 15:28

Just came on here to check this one out and NO WAY at that price !!! What a shame as was so wanting to have a go. I tend to run about 15 marathons a year and do have to watch the cost. As said before...plenty more out there for half the price...shame tho.

03/01/2013 at 21:28
Apparently the route will be run from kings park down to boscombe pier. Run down to sandbanks run down shore road up Evening Hill, turn round run back the way you can and finish at the pier
Doesn't sound very exciting, and the wind along the seafront in October will put pay to any pbs
So a bit crap really
03/01/2013 at 21:36
Struggling to see what you get for your money at this one. Hopefully people will vote with their feet and do something cheaper and more interesting.
1 to 20 of 178 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.