Brass Monkey Half Marathon

18th Jan 2009

1 to 20 of 217 messages
27/08/2008 at 10:15

I noticed that York Knavesmire Harriers have indicated on their website that details of the Brass Monkey Half will be available soon.

I've heard that it is dificult to get a number for this race because it fills so quickly. Does anyone have any experience of entering this race in recent years? If so, do I need to be checking their website on a daily basis in order not to miss out once entries open? How quickly does it fill?

I missed out this year because I left it too late - really trying to avoid that happening again. Any tips gratefully received.

27/08/2008 at 10:20
Mmmm-Aye you have to be on the ball to enter this one.Keep checking the website everyday.It fills up really fast.
27/08/2008 at 12:49
I missed out this year because of the postal strike, you have to send your entry in as soon as the forms come out.
27/08/2008 at 13:08

Hi Mm - we entered last year and made sure our entry was sent the day they were available.  We didn't get in, but club mates of ours who entered 3 days after us did get in.  It does seem that they let in who they want to let in.  I thought they might have a system that if you have a qualifying time they might allow entry, but was told no they didn't make exceptions even Tracey Morris had to enter through the normal route.  We know that this is not the case because several of our friends who have done it in the past and finished in the top 10 were invited back via telephone call.  I'm not saying they should not have been, as I believe they should, but it seems they choose rather than genuinely operate a first come first served basis.

Good luck and hope you get a place.  It is a nice course.  We ran some of it when visiting York a couple of weeks ago and BR has raced it 5 times.  I had an entry in 2007, but was injured.  Would've been nice if they had a system in place if one is injured they could carry their place over to the next year (a bit like FLM) seeing as it's such a popular race.

27/08/2008 at 14:35

Some clubs (including mine) get sent entry forms a few days before the official release. They get photocopied and taken over en masse and posted through the entry secs door on the morning that the forms officially come out.

I know of several clubs who take this approach and it means that entries fill very quickly. Those who live too far to hand deliver effectively enter a lottery that depends on how efffective their postal service is.

27/08/2008 at 17:00

Thank you all for the info.

Podro,
Any chance of getting hold of an entry form a few days before the official release? Could you send a scanned copy (via email) or a photocopy (via regular mail) when your club receives them? Be happy to reimburse you for any inconvenience/expense. 

27/08/2008 at 20:49
Should be able to work something out. E-mail me.
27/08/2008 at 21:01
it's remarkable how popular the BM has become in just the last few years. I'd leave it until early Dec. and sail in. No wonder why it's thus: 95% flat, great setting, superb changing and a good quality memento. And a top start to Spring Marathon prep.

if looking for an alternative, the Four Villages half Marathon at Helsby is usually the same weekend: well organised, popular, well resourced H/Q, undulating and attractive course and a distinctive medal for finishers. Fills fairly quickly too, though.
16/10/2008 at 11:06
Entry forms will be available via the website this saturday (18th) according to the YKH website. I think that a small number of forms have been posted to certain local clubs though so if you can get hold of one of these before the weekend then you should be guarenteed a place.
16/10/2008 at 11:34
FYI.. the race numbers limit has been increased from last year's 1200 to 1500.
16/10/2008 at 13:25
That is good news. Less disappointed people!
18/10/2008 at 12:22
Entry forms are on the YKH site
18/10/2008 at 15:08
...and mine's in the post to the race secretary
21/10/2008 at 20:10

Full already, according to the race website.

24/10/2008 at 09:50

Yay am in - cheque was cashed this morning

24/10/2008 at 09:54

Yay! I'm in too. Was let down by the postal strike last year, so made sure I was in the post office for next-day delivery 9am last saturday. Seems it worked. Maybe they valued my dedication?

This was the first half I ever ran, in 2004. Looking forward to running it again (and hopefully much quicker!)

24/10/2008 at 22:47

Me and Mrs Bobbles are in too     This will be my fourth Brass Monkey, hopefully a better performance than last year .....

NE

nsc
24/10/2008 at 22:55

I'm in too after missing out last year - damn postal strike

SNC
25/10/2008 at 10:29

Yeah am in too hopefully won't get injured again like last year

25/10/2008 at 10:43
I'll be lining up too

hi, nsc *waves*
1 to 20 of 217 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.