18th Jan 2009

201 to 217 of 217 messages
18/01/2009 at 21:55

agree about organisation, top stuff as always

love the rucsac, but miss the sweatshirt

Now, i have been a bit ill all week

i have another 2 halves in march, lets see, hmmmmmmmm

18/01/2009 at 21:57

Great event today.  Well organised by Knavesmere.  A blessing that we could take shelter in the warmth before the gun.  Had a target of sub-1:45 and came home in 1:39:05 so well chuffed.  Paying for it now with stiff knees.  Will be back next year (if I can get in).

JogOn 

18/01/2009 at 22:01

Highlight of the day was seeing Hipps again after nearly 2 years

Lowlight of the day was going off very nicely then suddenly losing all power at mile 3 and having to go into disaster recovery mode just to get round in a mediocre 1:41 and felt so carp I didn't even go to the pub!!!

Well done to everyone who ran so well and got PB's - there are quite a few!!

We really were very lucky with the weather. By 1500 the clouds and wind had gathered and it has been pretty stormy ever since.

Race organisation and support of the course was again excellent and everything worked like clockwork.
Chatted to the Race Secretary for a few minutes in the Stand before the race. He told me that divorce had nearly been on the cards as he and his wife filled 1300 goody bags in their  home for two nights before the race.!!!
It's that sort of dedication and application to detail that makes this such an enjoyable event for all participents 

18/01/2009 at 22:06
A very important and well made point, Torque Steer. We are fortunate indeed to have such selfless people providing our pleasure.
18/01/2009 at 22:33

TS

big hugs

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

yeah, top organisation

enjoyed the choc

x

18/01/2009 at 22:40

choc ..what choc ?? my damm kids (grown up mind) were at home and nicked the lot grrrrrrr !!

already posted my thanks for the organisation but your posting TS just goes to show how much dedication and effort the unpaid organisers of a race put in which is well well appreciated ! thanks guys !!

19/01/2009 at 07:23

Well done Stotfold - super result!

TS - I shall be very happy the day that 1.41 is survival!

The way I feel this morning I can't beat myself up over those six seconds, I think I left everything I had on those roads. Maybe next year.................

19/01/2009 at 12:29

Well organised by a very friendly team - even arranged for decent weather - its pouring down today up here

I can't find where I can rate it on this RW  website?

19/01/2009 at 12:42

Brass Monkey 2009 photos here

first set of photos from the 2 mile mark

19/01/2009 at 12:43
LMH
believe me it hurts just as much as those 6 seconds......................................
19/01/2009 at 16:46

Were we discussing the Rights and Wrongs of running with MP3 players on this forum last week?  I think we were.  Well, as you know the organisers for the BM don't allow them and yesterday I saw a good example of Why Not:  the group I was running with included one gal dressed in black from head to foot and wearing a black wooly hat.  I soon noticed the reason why:  She was carrying an MP3 player and had threaded the wires up the back of her top, under her hairline and obviously her hat was concealing the evidence!! 

Well, I'm not here to  judge or preach but I can say this:  she had no idea of spatial awareness and was constantly jostling and knocking elbows/running across people, you guys out there all know how irritating this can be in a race, particularly when you're in a tight group.  That's forgivable, but what was NOT so good was when a car came from behind and - of course the cries of "Car" rang out, because we were on a very narrow part of the course and there was no way this car could get past without runners moving out of the way.   She didn't hear the warning and was running directly in the car's path ..... fortunately someone realised she couldn't hear and ran to catch her and physically tap her on the shoulder.  Not what you want to see happen, I hope it didn't ruin that person's focus.

So no harm done, but you can see why organisers don't allow them.  It introduces a health and safety issue that might not otherwise be there ......

19/01/2009 at 20:14

i was the one that wanted to run with an ipod, i still think that at the time of applying this rule should be made clear and give the option then of entering knowing that music is banned.

as it was i did run and without music so whoever that was in the black hat it wasn't me. i managed to pass the time by running to mile  with a couple of other people but was on my own from then to the finish, i really struggled  and am sure my time would have been better with something to take my mind of things , however finished in 2.08.35

i always run with music and always on busy streets, i do not have the volume turned up so that it drowns out all traffic, and have never had a problem , i have always heard cars or even bicycles approaching from behind. i think if you use an ipod sensibly it doesn't pose a danger

19/01/2009 at 21:09

I see your point Andrea and know that for many it's just impossible to enjoy running without music.  However, this girl did not subscribe to your good practice and couldn't hear a thing.   She was a bit of a liability I suppose, however I don't want to sound like I'm preaching - let he who is without sin throw the first rock etc etc

19/01/2009 at 21:42
i also cant find the link to rate the race - any ideas?
nsc
19/01/2009 at 21:51

passed a few people with an earphone in under a hat

was a great day, ran a good solid training run at (fingers crossed) marathon pace and had company the whole way round

and she pbed

lovely to see lots of you again

19/01/2009 at 22:59
Well done, nsc Nothing like the sense of fulfilment when someone's got where they want to be by dint of another's efforts.

You doing FLM btw?
19/01/2009 at 23:25

Please dont run with earphones/ipods in at all, you are exposed when people run up behind you, not all people are nice!!!!.

I have run past runners with ipods etc and the shock has made them jump out of their skins, i know that it may be the fact that I am running past people but I think that it is the shock that people can get that close to them without  them noticing.

PS I didn't get in the Brass Monkey Half

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 217 of 217 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.