Brass Monkey Half Marathon

18th Jan 2009

41 to 60 of 217 messages
01/11/2008 at 14:05
Yay! Good news from the fizz. The problem is the hamstring insertion point at the top being irritated when load bearing and she thinks this has been caused by compensating for the pulled popliteous I acquired dragging myself out of the swim at the IM. Instead of recovering I adjusted my gait but have been running without allowing the hamstring to relax so it's been in permanent contraction and therefore causing pain and increased compensation through pelvis to knee. I have some stretches to do and an adjustment to make to current running style and should be sorted in a couple of weeks. Positively encouraged to run but only to teh piint of pain so taht's 4 - 6 miles. Sorted!
nsc
01/11/2008 at 15:17

great news LMH

elle - did you run in 2006 with another forumite?  if so, she's returning this year so we can all run together for our sub 2 attempt

02/11/2008 at 18:45
nsc - yes I did! And that's fab news - whoohoo, can't wait
02/11/2008 at 19:10

I am in to

Can't wait for the chance to try for under 2 hours as I missed it by 2 minutes last year. I will now have to keep training over Xmas and New Year.  Had a good race today at Guy Fawkes 10 even though a hilly course and if I keep my training up hopefully no reason why I can't do under 2 hours.

nsc
02/11/2008 at 19:19
good gang of us at the 2 hour mark then
07/11/2008 at 13:43

I'm in too  - missed out last year because of the postal strike but got lucky with the post this year!

My PB is 2:03 on a flat course (Silverstone) in March so the BM might be a chance to give a sub 2-hour another shot ... but need to work on my speed in the meantime as I've got slower as this year's gone on!  (I like to blame the marathon training - as good excuse as any!  )

Can't wait! 

08/11/2008 at 14:30

Third time lucky for me!!   Just for the record, I live in the Midlands and relied on the postal system as usual and still got a place (though I was pretty determined to catch the lunchtime post on the Saturday!) - guess I just got lucky!!  

Really looking forward to running this race mainly for nostalgic reasons - used to live in Appleton Roebuck (went to the village school etc etc), but the opportunity for a PB is also great motivator.  

For the record, I reckon it's entirely up to Knavesmire Harriers how they organise their races and entries.   As already stated, I believe there should be some reciprical arrangements between clubs, because without the clubs (and their volunteer marshalls etc etc) there would be no races!!   Simple really.   I run races, I help to marshall at races and if I don't get into a popular race, I'll have a little grumble to myself, then get on with it and look for something else to enter.   I certainly wouldn't blame the race organisers!!

Hi, Swittle and NSC.   We met at Yorkshireman Half.   Excellent memories of that day and now trying to build up the courage to enter the full marathon next year!!   Anyone else doing the full?

08/11/2008 at 14:31
When I say third time lucky, I mean that it's taken me three years to get a place.   Just wanted to make that clear!!
08/11/2008 at 17:10
Hi, stilldreaming Yes, I remember you well. What a superb day it was! And such a turnout! I didn't feel I was running alone, having read the hopes & fears of others on a certain 'other' forum.

Those who ran the "full" Yorkshireman have nothing but my admiration - SD, I know you'll make the right decision.

Back on topic: looks like there'll be quite a gathering on the Knavesmire mid-January for this cracking event. Keep training, all
nsc
08/11/2008 at 17:27

hi stilldreaming

think I'll stick with the half at the yorkshireman, need to have a good go at that before having a go at the full

going to be a grand gathering at knavesire - friends all round

09/11/2008 at 09:19

Is anyone aiming for around 1hr35? I've run 1hr36 in my last two halves this year and I'm determined (desperate?) to knock that minute off - at the least. Anyone looking for a similar time and fancy letting me tag along?

Happy running/racing for anyone heading out today.

10/11/2008 at 19:53

bit fast for me Bunny but good luck, anyone looking to crack that 1.40 ? could do with some pacers to pull me along ! still sticking to easy running since the abingdon mara 3 weeks ago but suppose it's time to start some speedwork if I want that sub 1.40 !

cheers

beders

10/11/2008 at 19:56
You'll definitely be too fast for me at this one Beders - I'm looking for sub 1.45. I'm still rehabing but getting there slowly.
10/11/2008 at 21:41
unlikely i'll ever see 1:40 again and 1:45 would be great Time will tell...
11/11/2008 at 09:01

Sub 1:50 would do me ... may be possible if i can get enough miles in my legs before January!

11/11/2008 at 17:31

Yikes - looks like I might be among the last few finishers then with my post 2-hour times! 

For the record, I'd be delighted with 1:59:59!   

13/11/2008 at 17:59
Don't worry my PB is 2.08 so I'll be at the back as well
14/11/2008 at 21:08
there again the way my runnings going at the moment I'll be more than happy with sub 2.00 myself !
14/11/2008 at 21:38
Are you taking a while to recover from Abingdon Beders?
20/11/2008 at 15:19

Hi
got in by hand delivering entry.

some familiar names on here already.It will be good to put faces to them apart  from Northern Exile 'cos I will just be staring at the back of his head until I can use my sprint finish to gain revenge - that is if a tired ol' git can still have a sprint finish!!!

Bunny
I will let you know nearer to the day about 1:35 - it will depend upon how training goes as I am just increasing intensity after recovering from an op and an extended holiday to recover from the op recovery!!!

41 to 60 of 217 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.