Brass Monkey Half Marathon

18th Jan 2009

81 to 100 of 217 messages
18/12/2008 at 07:21
That might be a little close to Brass for me Beders - I'm trying to PB! But thank you.
18/12/2008 at 13:28

Dr Dan
bad news - hope there is some improvement soon

Bedders
good going along the canal - you are right the moors will not be as flat!!
I have run the Hyde Park 5K a couple of times when I have been in London on business and it is quite a twisty course but still good fun to run such a short race.
Where is the John Carr 5K series held?

Little Miss H
all those aerobic miles are in the bank to draw on in the final stages - unlike the current financial world!!

I knew it was a mistake ot write how well training was going - struck down with a severe sore throat and sniffling cold last week that severely restricted training and too much travelling this week is eating into training schedule - ah well there is always Christams Day to make up for it........................

Edited: 18/12/2008 at 13:28
18/12/2008 at 20:45

opps, sorry TS, meant the much less famous hyde park 5k series in leeds !! the john carr series in in esholt near bradford , other end of the country from london ! They're damm good though, 3 wednesdays on the trot in may, only downside is that the first one is a bit close to the FLM but it does mean you're pretty fit ! hope the throat gets better !

only an easy 6 miler for me today, legs tired..old age !

19/12/2008 at 11:46

Beders
thanks for info on the John Carr 5K races - I will look out for them next year as there is limited opportunity to race over short distances
I did laugh at the Hyde Park geography - Leeds would be a bit closer for me as well!!

6 miles easy is fine - they can't all be eyeballs out running. I think I will have a good few years on you so no excuses about old age!

Fully over the bug now thanks - just in time for my normal Friday "special" - 3.5  miles warm up at av 8:10m/m and then 8 x 200m hill intervals with jog down recoveries in the crisp, cold dawn air. .............
I will recover eventually

19/12/2008 at 21:02

ouch, hill reps my favourite...not. day off today and only another easy jog out tomorrow as got the Stoop fell race on sunday, one of the dave Woodhead specials, great fun and loads of mud.

ps, I'm only a kid of 51 really, thought I was old until i did my first fell race and all the grey haired varicosed veined 80 years olds galloped past me !!

29/12/2008 at 11:30

Hope the Christmas holidays went off well for everyone and that you all  managed a run on Christmas Day!

Just a reminder that there is now just less than 3 weeks to go.............................................

30/12/2008 at 13:38
Thanks TS! Yes, had a lovely x-country bimble on Xmas Day. Unfortunately I had an awful last LSR this morning. No idea what went wrong but it didn't help when the Garmin started going backwards at 7.3 miles..................always disheartening I find and especially if you're struggling a little anyway.
30/12/2008 at 16:32

3 weeks!  Thanks for the reminder TS.  Not sure how ready I am for this.  Mileage is great, but not been doing specific HM training.  At least there's no hills so I should do better than Leeds

How did the Garmin start going backwards LMH???

30/12/2008 at 17:39
No idea Dippycat - I looked at it and it said 7.3 miles and then as I ran on it started counting backwards.
31/12/2008 at 11:29

LMH
bizarre!!!!
You must have been running so fast time started to go backwards as well
Can't you fit in anorther LSR before the race - there is plenty of time. Better to have a more confident run in one's mind than a carp one

Dippycat
mileage is all you need really - strenght and stamina win out over speed every time in a HM

Having said that I ran some mile intervals yesterday  ( well 3 to be precise in case you thought it might be more!!) at an average pace of 6:50m/m with 3 minute active recoveries - the idea of running 13 at that pace was not appealing!!

03/01/2009 at 09:47
Got my number for this today!
03/01/2009 at 10:07
Me too! WooHoo!
03/01/2009 at 11:53

TS - I shall have another go tomorrow with Mark - one of our Garmins will hopefully behave! It's a strange thing which the Garmin has done before for no good or common reason that I can see. On most of my routes I know the mileage anyway and don't get too bothered but it always seems to do it when I'm LSR and care about the outcome or doing some efforts. Well done on those miles, I've yet to see one beginning with a 6! I did manage a 7.43 during my NYD run but couldn't imagine another 12. Hopefully the race day magic will take care of it.

Our numbers arrived today too - is it time for a list?

03/01/2009 at 13:18

LMH

I have found my Garmin going "slow" as far as distance is concerned in the recent cold weather but probably more due to freezing fog blanking out signals. It is still a bit disconcerting isn't it when one doesn't get that reassurring beep when passing a know n distance point!!!

Good idea for a list - numerical order please cos I like my lists neat 'n tidy

0976 - Torque Steer

The 0 does not appear on the number but I stuck it on so that those wiith higher numbers can stay  aligned - see i do like my lists neat!

yellow band on mine - either for male or aged git I would guess

03/01/2009 at 14:04

I got my number too. Spurred me on to run 15 miles this morning, in a quite respectable 2 hours and 2 mins. Feeling pretty pleased now - only two weeks to go!

I can't recall what my number is atm - don't have it to hand - but will add it later. It's definitely green though.

Reading the very posh and shiny booklet, it really does feel like this race is getting bigger and less 'local' each year. Pleased about the chip timing though

03/01/2009 at 14:30

Good job you mentioned the chip timing BP - we hadn't read the booklet!

Yellow must be for boys and green for girls this year.

0209 - Mark
0976 - Torque Steer
1461 - LMH

03/01/2009 at 15:57

forgotten that I had entered this as it was so long ago - had a particularly festive xmas with not much running in the last few weeks so not at all ready for a half!

will have a go at 14 tomorrow to see how it goes 

0209 - Mark
0808 - OMAHD
0976 - Torque Steer
1461 - LMH

03/01/2009 at 17:58
a few years since i ran this - one of the very few occasions when I went under 1:30

0209 - Mark
0808 - OMAHD
0928 - swittle
0976 - Torque Steer
1461 - LMH
04/01/2009 at 13:06
That was a much better 14 miler - even managed the last mile at HMP. Time to taper now - let the niggles begin!
04/01/2009 at 13:26
14.5 done but only at 8.55 min miles which I wansnt too unhappy with considering my recent inactivity

Plan to do 16 at 9.30 pace next Sunday with very little taper for me LMH. Just going to use brass monkey as part of my training for FLM
81 to 100 of 217 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.