Brass monkey half marathon

21 to 40 of 75 messages
14/10/2011 at 18:52
Minni wrote (see)
There are two other races I do in the year that are the same - sold out in a couple of hours. Maybe the BM attracts more people from the north where there are not so many races available? Who knows! My club organises a fell race that usually sells out within 3 months. This year we did online entires only for the first time and it filled within a week. Are other races online entry only too? That's what seems to drive everyone into a frenzy.
Not so many races in the North? Is this a different North to the one I live in?

There are endless flat 10 milers where there is usually no problem entering on the day - why dont these attract the same silliness in terms of entry. I'm glad they dont but its a bit of a puzzle!
14/10/2011 at 18:56
Ah but I'm in the far North, 120 miles North of Leeds!
14/10/2011 at 20:56

PRF.. coming from the sundrenched metropolis of Tadcaster the BM course is about 6 miles from me so dead handy.  I've been doing this race 'since I were a lad' (early 90's) and I agree that the fervour over entries has got a bit daft over the last 10 years or so.  This subject was debated on one of the BM threads in recent years, I think the conclusion was partly because half marathons seem to be very trendy. Certainly I can't say I see see the same clamour for places at 10k's, 10 milers etc. 

BTW 4th is a thoroughly decent effort, which year was it?  I might even have the results!   I know BR has finished top 10 though never as high as 4th, you can taunt him about that on your next meeting.. 

14/10/2011 at 21:01
Wardi - Anything to taunt him is worth its weight in gold! The year for the 4th would have been 93 give or take a year, I know it was very windy indeed that day!
19/10/2011 at 10:26
Opens on Wednesday but it doesnt say who through yet.  It was Run Britain last year but there is nothing on there yet.
20/10/2011 at 14:03

If anyone doesn't make the entry in time then let me know and I'll take you on a 13 mile run in York that doesn't bore the arse off you!

Who said Lancaster half was flat? It is flat apart from the 2 big hills in it! Pretty fast course though.

21/10/2011 at 11:40
I'm going to have a go at the brass monkey, if I can get in! I just did the GNR and fancy something a bit closer to home to start 2012 and keep me motivated through the winter months. A PB would be a bonus but I'm not sure I'll be able to train as hard for this one through December and January.
25/10/2011 at 18:42

Enteries open for this tomorrow. I can't do it anymore due to a change in the football fixtures, good job they were announced today and not tomorrow.

Good luck everyone trying to enter.

26/10/2011 at 00:14
Bloody neighbours woke me up by slamming their door. Now wide awake, so de ided to check what time entries opened tomorrow.

It's open for entries and 4 people are already in!

Off to get my credit card...
26/10/2011 at 06:26

Thanks for the tip off!

26/10/2011 at 07:19
Thanks for the heads up!
26/10/2011 at 08:08

I'm in, It has opened early. 

26/10/2011 at 09:20
I'm in 648 entries now
26/10/2011 at 16:24
it's full ....
26/10/2011 at 17:00

I checked back at 11.20  and it was full then! 

I checked last night at about 10pm,  there were 4 entries on the list but it wasnt accepting any as it wasnt open so I dont know how the first 4 got in.  Anyway I got my place and  I text some friends from the club early and they managed to get in as well. 

26/10/2011 at 21:16

I'm miles away in the south, but what's the clamour for this race, that it sells out in 11 hours!?

I mean, we have Wokingham and Reading in the south (2,750, and 18,000 places respectively) that always sell out, but over a few weeks.,.

what makes BM special then?

26/10/2011 at 21:31

Stevie - Its a complete mystery.

Is it the only half marathon around? Nope!

Is it the only flat race around? Nope!

Is it the only flat half marathon around? Nope!

It seems on the face of it that the only attraction to a lot of people is that it sells out quickly - so it must be worth clamouring for an entry?

26/10/2011 at 21:35
The main attraction is a flat half marathon in January. There are precious few flat Halves in Yorkshire, but especially at that time of year.

As a consequence of the above, many local clubs use it in their championships. I am a Southern exile, and observe a noticably bigger club scene in Yorkshire than back home in the South.

A certain lemmings effect; "its popular, I must enter it..."

And you get a Yorkie bar at the end!
26/10/2011 at 21:56

If I didnt live so close I wouldnt travel  to do it but it's only 30 miles away for me so no overnight hotels etc and nothing else within that distance in the first 4 months of next year.  I would do it even if it wasnt flat as it gives me a goal for the colder months. Knowing I was doing this kept me running through the snow last year! 

27/10/2011 at 08:49
I live in York and have entered this before and can't understand why people would want to travel long distances for this race. It is incredibly dull, I think I fell asleep during the race as there are parts I can't remember. The organisation is good and it is well marshalled (an easy job due to the route). I cant understand why they use the route they do, it doesn't take in any of the wonderful sights of York or any of the great routes by the river etc. It is obviously cheaper than closing roads in the city which makes £22 to enter this seem a bit steep to me - most of this must go on using the facilities of the race course. Apart from near the time of the run, you never see any runners use the route of the race, which to me says it all. It attracts PB hunters and is the only half marathon near York, other than the far superior Yorkshire Wolds Half in the summer (15 miles away). I think we need another half marathon in York that is more scenic, perhaps the knavesmire harriers could organise that too as they do a good job with all that sort of stuff. I do appreciate that these runs take a lot of effort to put on.
Good luck all those that have entered.
21 to 40 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.