Brathay Windermere Marathon

21 to 31 of 31 messages
14/05/2013 at 10:17

Did it last year and loved it. Tough course but beautiful, I had done London 4 weeks before and managed to knock 5 minutes off at Windermere. Remember undulating means downhills as well as uphills. Hoping for better weather also Quinn!

Did london last month--- Must be mad

16/05/2013 at 16:20

I'm in , number came today, 

just gotta get round, I've done 3 marathon distance races including a 34 mile ultra in the last 7 weeks, so death or glory 

18/05/2013 at 19:56

I had to pull out, but still came up to Windermere. Really wish I could run it! next year though.. Good luck everyone, and hope the weather gets less clammy soon!

19/05/2013 at 21:37

What a great race 

19/05/2013 at 21:53

4.28! slower than last year but still won 1st FV60

Tough but a lovely race

20/05/2013 at 15:15

For anyone put off by the hills for 2014 - don't be!  Just train on hills if you live near them or just whack up the gradient on the treadmill and you will get through them and enjoy them.  Train on down hill too as you can make up some good time by bouncing down them effortlessly.

20/05/2013 at 19:21

First marathon, round in 4.14, running all the way. Still can't believe the time given the undulating course and the fact that I didn't do as much hill training as I should have (understatement). Ran the whole way, enjoyed it tremendously. Absolutely delighted. Ahelluva day! If anyone is thinking about it, I would recommend it wholeheartedly as a really wonderful first time experience: small, friendly, challenging but rewarding. If I can, anyone can..you just have to BELIEVE!

21/05/2013 at 06:24

A wonderful race! I would recommend this to anyone who is tired of the big events. The course was tough but runnable and you benefit from the spectacular views. I finished in 5 hours 28 and felt good all the way round. Thanks to all the marshalls and spectators.

21/05/2013 at 21:18

Feel like I've been run over by a bus even 3 days later, but what a great race. My first marathon and chuffed to bits with 3:27. No single killer hills, but they never stop coming.  Had a hairy  moment at mile 22 (the famous wall maybe?) but bizarrely found speeding up downhill shook me out of it

What else to say? The organisation was incredible, the scenery wonderful and the spectators great - except the one couple in Bowness who crossed the road without looking and who I completely bodychecked.

If you're in doubt, just do it and train for the hills. Oh, and have an ice bath in Windermere after - absolute bliss!

21/05/2013 at 21:36

Can't fault the organisation, marshals, water stations, entry fee. If you don't need the bright lights of a city race this is for you. It's certainly no PB course, it's a course to saviour it's tough and yes it's a roller coaster of hills.

26/05/2013 at 15:13

Good to see folk enjoying my favourite race.  10in10 #2 for me this year and was nearly 9 hours faster overall than last year.  I know several people who PB'd last Sunday and my fastest day was only around 11 mins slower than my new PB, that I set on the considerably flatter Brighton a few weeks ago, so a decent time is not impossible. 

Stratty, I'm sure the tourists in Bowness are completely brainless!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.