Brentwood Half Marathon

1 to 20 of 36 messages
02/02/2009 at 21:16

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone is doing or has in the past done the Brentwood Half Marathon on Sunday 15th March?? Im running this as my first half marathon ahead of the Great North Run which I was lucky enough to get in to. What is the course like?? Pretty flat?? Im travelling down from Cheshire and have only been to Brentwood once before so dont know the area well.

Thanks

02/02/2009 at 21:32

Track down Julia T, it's her first but she's local.

GULP just entered my first half marathon ; oh b6g7er, can't get link to work but that's the thread name.

02/02/2009 at 21:37
found it thanks
02/02/2009 at 21:40
Hi Matt, have done Brentwood for the last couple of years.  It's relatively flat - the first mile and a half are downhill and the last mile or so is uphill so if you've got carried away in the early miles it'll tell towards the end!
03/02/2009 at 09:05
I'll be there - number 911 - which seems ominous
03/02/2009 at 12:20
im in, should be a good one
11/02/2009 at 08:45

Hi Matt and everyone else <<< wave wave >>>>>

I'm doing it as Foxy says, first HM for me and don't know the course but training is going well so far. I'm no 247. Looks like the entry is full as well so quite what it feels like to be amongst 2000+ other runners I don't know! Scary!

Mr T said we should drive round the course as it's fairly local to us. Thought I might hop out and try and run the last couple of miles. I'll let you know what happens....

06/03/2009 at 10:27

Hi Matt,

I live just by the start of the course and have been running it as part of my training for the Edinburgh Marathon (and am running the race next week). It's a pretty undulating course - the first two miles or so are downhill but there are plenty of ups and downs along the way. Leave something in reserve for the end too - the last 3/4 of a mile are a gradual uphill drag!

Good luck for next Sunday everyone! 

12/03/2009 at 17:39

Hi Essex Eagle - my daughter lives in Edinburgh (home town Colchester) so I am full of admiration for anyone who is able to tackle those hills!!!!!

Another daughter and I are doing the Brentwood Half for the first time.  Would like to park a mile or so away from start so the walk can start our warm-up.  Any suggestions?  Don't want to inconvenience the local people but also not keen on parking in what I assume will be very busy car parks.

Weather supposed to be with us all.  Not liking the sound of the last mile - don't like hills!!

12/03/2009 at 17:44
Im going! see ya there!!!
12/03/2009 at 18:19

Lots of carparks liz, the multi-storey is probably the biggest and is halfway down the high street. I'm going to drive the course tomorrow so i'll let you know about the hill at the end. Someone said it's not too steep, more of a longer gentler incline.......

My first half marathon. Have done loads of training and am really looking forward to it!

12/03/2009 at 19:34

Thanks for that Julia.  Only live down the road in Colchester so should have driven it I suppose but think its probably better for me not to know!

This is my 3rd half marathon - about a month beforehand I swear I'll never do another one, then love the feeling at the end and my daughter who I run them with (well we start together and meet up at the end!) just reminds me of that when I'm struggling with training.  You'll love it! Good luck. Weather supposed to be good.

12/03/2009 at 20:11
Yes, nice sunshine by all accounts. I'll give my verdict tomorrow when we've driven round. may need our
13/03/2009 at 07:16
 Well Im preparing  my bags for the trip down to Essex. Very Excited for my first half marathon!! Thanks for the tip about the last mile being uphill. Wont push too hard the mile before that. Hoping to go round in 1 hr 45mins but mainly just want to enjoy it with it being my first race. Cant remember my race number but will have a look when I get in later on. Good luck everyone!
13/03/2009 at 15:19

Hi everyone, drove round the course this morning and it's very pretty, couple of nice villages and lots of daffodils out. (will we be looking at those on sunday?.........i wonder!). My overall impression was of more downhill than up but of course that's impossible, but none of the uphills seemed particularly steep, just long gentle inclines. I came away with positive vibes and as it's my first HM I hope you all feel better now!

13/03/2009 at 15:25
Julie - just done run too fast in the first mile of so down hill.
13/03/2009 at 16:19

Julie - sounding good.  Picking my daughter up from Shenfield station tomorrow as no trains into Colchester, so might have a sneaky look but hills sound fine.  Did a couple today just to make me feel better!!

Once I get to mile 8 I shan't be noticing the daffs or the villages but will make the most of them till then.

Do hope you enjoy it.

13/03/2009 at 21:13

Ok Tracey, it did look very tempting at the start! Still we can get into the groove comfortably at the start and i'll keep checking the Garmin to keep to race pace.

Liz I would say inclines rather than hills. Although they always look different in a car

Good luck and have fun everyone

14/03/2009 at 09:09
Julie - you don't notice the slight incline in the car, but on tired legs they feel like a mountain.
14/03/2009 at 09:41

No, No Tracey - negative thoughts - not a mountain - near the end!

Whats everyone eating today - always the best bit of training for me

1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.