Brighton Half Marathon

Coooeee, anyone?

161 to 178 of 178 messages
19/02/2012 at 19:20

Ness - another way of looking at this is that you overachieved - 2hr 3 secs for 13.5 miles is 1hr 56 and some change for 13.1 miles

I'm not trying to let the organisers off for getting it wrong, but don't let their mess-up detract from your achievements.....

YP

DAM
19/02/2012 at 19:23
My Garmin measured 21.70km
I just put it down to weaving but lots of people on twitter saying much the same as here too.
19/02/2012 at 19:24

Didn't race this one, but often read around different races in case I ever do them.

This doesn't sound good...short last year and long this year!

At least the one consolation of being too long is that the result actually counts, and you've actually run a half marathon at least. If it's short it's not a proper result.

Probably doesn't make anyone feel much better

Garmins often waiver a bit, but 1/2mile is too much for weaving/not taking the shortest course type answers

Edited: 19/02/2012 at 19:25
19/02/2012 at 19:37
My Garmin also measured 13.50 miles today. However, for me the cluster-f*#k that was Madeira Drive at the start of the race completely over-shadows the longer distance. Having to wait inline for the toilet behind non-runners and push through hundreds more to get to the baggage area was ridiculous.
19/02/2012 at 21:19
If it transpires they did measure it wrongly, or they simply put some bollards in the wrong place, I think there's a case for money back, frankly.
19/02/2012 at 21:27
I'm yet to speak to anyone who recorded less than 13.48 miles today.

Times for Top 10 last year were between 1:06 and 1:13. This year 1:10 and 1:16 so it looks like it affected the elite athletes too.

Chatting to people they say they expect up to an extra 0.2 miles due to not taking the shortest route but an extra 0.4 to 0.6 is excessive. Although one site suggested you can record up to 14.1 for a half marathon!
http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=4657789

If it is over then it's an error they surely need to admit. My aim today was sub 1:30. My chip time was 1:30:11. Garmin GPS said I did 13.1 in 1:27:38. Would have liked an official sub 1:30 time!

20/02/2012 at 07:28

I wrote to Michael Sandford from the association of UK course measurers about the distance. He checked a few public GPS tracks of the route against his maps and said: "I am able to confirm that the course was over distance due the the turn at the East End of the course being not located in the position marked by the measurer."

He goes on to say:

"It is the reponsibilty of the race director to locate the turn at the position indicated in the measurement report. It is the responsibility of the race referee/ race adjudicator appointed by RunBritain to ensure that the race director is using the course as measured is used by race director. A number of measurers have asked RunBritain that race referees/ race adjudicators be reminded about these duties. A gross error like this ought to have been very easily picked up if the race referee/ race adjudicator had actually visited the East turn round and compared the location used with that described in the measurer's measurement report."

So there you have it: it's official.

20/02/2012 at 07:33
Cheers for that Sharkstar - you know yesterday I started doubting my pace, my Garmin, but i know I don't weave THAT much!
20/02/2012 at 07:44
Sharkstar - that's very helpful information so thanks for posting it.

I personally still think this was a great race, and a really enjoyable day.... I also think we all have to admit this was a simple human error, and that it would be a pity to let something so trivial spoil, or detract from, what sounds like a huge number of personal bests....
20/02/2012 at 08:08

Yes, otherwise it was a great race, on a truly glorious day, and the support was fantastic!

20/02/2012 at 09:18
I agree - I loved it otherwise!
20/02/2012 at 09:53
Thanks Sharkster. The organisers need to see that. Good work!
20/02/2012 at 15:39
I feel sorry for everyone who would have got pb's. In this day of gps etc, the course being over is inexcusable. Should offer a refund or discount for next year, but at the very least reajust runners times, easy to do. Iv watched cowboy builders on tv, hope the Brighton half isnt being turned into a cowboy half. Brighton marathon take note!!!
20/02/2012 at 16:19
Hold your horses - statement live on the Brighton Half website, mistake acknowledged, and revised times now posted! Wahoo!
20/02/2012 at 16:29
They've done it!!! Well done Brighton (though I still think I was a bit faster ; ) happy with a real PB!
20/02/2012 at 16:39
Whoo hooo they've accepted responsibility now have a new chip time of 1:48:38 and a PB. Thanks Brighton half marathon!
20/02/2012 at 16:43

Many thanks to everyone involved with yesterday's Brighton Half Marathon - the volunteers and supporters along the course were fantastic and thank you also to the organisers for checking up on the distance following everyone's comments.

Even thought this was my first half, I thought something was a bit odd between miles 4 and 5 as it seemed such a long way and my GPS said 10.6kms at the 10km mark... I know they're not always 100% accurate, but didn't think it could be that far out.

Enough said about the distance now, it was a great day out, I really enjoyed it and I got a sub 2.5 hours (adjusted time) for my first half marathon

20/02/2012 at 16:43
Yes!! 7 mins off my PB!! Well done organisers - it's the putting right that counts!

Can now focus on Paddock Wood Half on 1 April 2012. Recovery day today. Short run tomorrow.

Good to (finally) get the first event of my season under my belt. Lookin forward to the rest of 2012!

Happy running all!
Edited: 20/02/2012 at 18:49

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
161 to 178 of 178 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.