Brighton Marathon 2010

I have just heard!

6,401 to 6,420 of 6,628 messages
20/04/2010 at 11:25

Sandi

So glad you made it and got such a good time, I could not run / dash down stairs today.

So will see you next year ?????, I cant wait for it to be approved and get my place, I think I have been bitten by the marathon bug.

20/04/2010 at 11:31

Still totally addicted to this forum, though back at work so must be careful!

How is it that I can run 24 mile training run in 4 hours and recover on the day, no aches, pains excessive tiredness but after coming down from the post marathon high am now felling totally exhausted and stiffer than yesterday! 

I have ordered my medal insert - finished 926th.  

Whoever he was at 20/21 miles - he was amazing! 

Dips - now I've seen your picture I did see you at water station  - but had to just keep going.....no time to stop  

Pam - I dont know who gave me my medal - could have been you or anyone but I hugged her and cried over her - and then said that I had loved it

I have promised OH some attention now and not to do an autumn marathon but cant recommend Dublin Highly enough - give it a go if you are looking for one

20/04/2010 at 11:32

aDrain - thanks very much for the links. Have already checked out both of those sites, trust me! This September is too soon for the Sydney Marathon (getting married in September), but I'll probably give it a bash next year.

20/04/2010 at 11:34

Purdey,

Can you e mail me as I am not sure of your latest e mail address

Edited: 20/04/2010 at 11:34
20/04/2010 at 11:49

What an amazing day! I really suffered in the heat so didn't manage my target of under 5 hours (finished in 5 hours 3 mins) but the atmosphere was excellent and I was very impressed with the organisation considering this was the first.

Unlike a lot of you I didn't mind the power station bit that much, got a bit of a second wind after running through The Wall so thanks to the college for that  The hardest part for me was the switchback through Hove, I got a bit demoralised around that point and had to start taking walk breaks. At the time I was thinking never again but now I'm starting to think I can do better next time . . .

TracyB - Spotted you at around mile 2 but you were chatting away to someone and I didn't want to butt in. Well done you marathoner!

I raise my hat to FB and any other of you nutters doing London this Sunday, I can barely move!

20/04/2010 at 12:05

I tend to agree that some people have wild expectations, and want a flat, scenic course for £ 1.00 entry fee and a Harrods goody bag stuffed with freebies.

There are never enough toilets, wherever you go.
Start was delayed, but once we were moving it was fine. No problems with water stations, support was great. Bit quiet (for me) at around 20 miles. "The Wall" was fab, and identical to the Adidias one they have at London. Industrial area turnaround point was quiet (apart from Mr.DJ with his amp) but by then all I wanted to do was get through it and back along the seafront.

Good T-Shirt. Glad to see they had choice of sizes, although they did run out in the latter stages of the race. If anyone has a Small they want to swop for a Large I know a certain TracyB will gladly swop !

Goody bag no worse than any other marathons I have done. Something to eat would have been good.
Plenty of water/drink/bananas at the finish funnel.

Well done everyone involved.

20/04/2010 at 12:44
Just looked at the original course map and we were supposed to run around Wish Park, but didn't. So they obviously had to change the course, so maybe next year they'll tweak it again.

As fb has said. That's not hilly. They could have asked us to run up Wilsons Avenue. 3 miles uphill from the Marina to the Racecourse = Pain and lots of it. It was my training hill 30-33 years ago!
20/04/2010 at 13:07
Karl wrote (see)

"I tend to agree that some people have wild expectations, and want a flat, scenic course for £ 1.00 entry fee and a Harrods goody bag stuffed with freebies."

haha

Maybe there's a market for this type of race. Each person could have a personal trainer, encouraging them along the route. "You look fantastic! Keep it going, you're a star! Your hair looks fabulous!"

20/04/2010 at 13:28

My legs are killing me today even stiffer than yesterday, it might be down to the sports massage I had  yesterday.  Hope everyone else is recovering well.

Somehow I managed to miss you all on the day, hopefully next year.

Has anyone else spotted the deliberate mistake on the t-shirt (clue is on the dates)?

Dad - If you fancy meeting up for a run sometime (once the legs recover) then PM me.

20/04/2010 at 13:33

RichardB

My legs are also killing me today, but have been since Sunday. Perhaps we could meet up for a run sometime, my runs are normally early in the morning to fit in with family life.

What time did you finish in ???

20/04/2010 at 13:40
for those whose legs are worse today - you have a classic case of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) which usually strikes about 2 days after a hard race. should start easing tomorrow

conversely RB my legs are fine today after yesterday's sports massage

and yes to the t-shirt error - BIG ooops! wonder who's paying for that one.....
20/04/2010 at 14:21
Karl wrote (see)

Goody bag no worse than any other marathons I have done. Something to eat would have been good.

When I did the Dublin Marathon everyone was given a lunchbox at the finish. Had a cheese sandwich, apple and some sweets in it.

Another idea they can steal from Dublin is the pacers. I only one I spoted at Brighton was carrying a stick with a hand written time on it. At Dublin there was a team of three per pace band. They had same colour shirt on and massive balloons (about the size of a swiss ball) on a ribbon tided to them to them floated about 10m in the air, with the time printed on it. Hence they where easy to spot and follow even from some distance.

20/04/2010 at 14:26
agree about the pacers, I was watching and managed to miss most of them!
20/04/2010 at 14:27
"I only one I spoted at Brighton was carrying a stick with a hand written time on it."

I saw 2 - 3hr and 4hr pacers - and yes, hand written for both. the 4hr pacer had a mob of about 20 around him coming to the finish according to my missus
Edited: 20/04/2010 at 14:29
20/04/2010 at 14:29

JJ- did you do Dublin last year?  if so, wasn't it fantastic

That was my first ( and I said only before that one) Marathon and I loved it.  I entered Brighton on a high from Dublin.

The lunchbox was ideal, had eaten the sandwich before we were through the finish area - when it is really needed, they also had a team doing cool down and stretches in a marquee near the baggage collection.  The photographers at Dublin had a couple of stands after the finish with a FINISHER logo to have your photo taken after the race with your medal - that was a good one and prompted me to buy the DVD which had 19 pics on it.

20/04/2010 at 14:53

I did my 100th Marathon in Dublin and it was brilliant. The Guinness was even better.

I'm signing off now as I think you have seen and heard enough from me.

Look out for me on Sunday running with a guy carrying a ladder!

Bye Bye

20/04/2010 at 14:57

Argus have extended the sign-up period for their two marathon special editions:-

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8107253.Don_t_miss_your_Brighton_Marathon_Argus_souvenir_special_today/

20/04/2010 at 14:58
James Joy wrote

Another idea they can steal from Dublin is the pacers. I only one I spoted at Brighton was carrying a stick with a hand written time on it. At Dublin there was a team of three per pace band. They had same colour shirt on and massive balloons (about the size of a swiss ball) on a ribbon tided to them to them floated about 10m in the air, with the time printed on it. Hence they where easy to spot and follow even from some distance.

I totally agree, I was the 3.30 pacer and the balloons (like Dublin) would have been a lot better. I will suggest that to them for next year.

I came in on 3.29.32 (halfway in 1.44.52) and the 4 hour pacer ran it in 3.59.55. I don't know how the other pacers did.

20/04/2010 at 15:00
I finished with the 4 hour pacer who actually finished 9 seconds early, which the PA announcer took the pi55 out of him for!!
20/04/2010 at 15:03

Yep I saw the 4hr pacer come through with a mob but would hate to be running behind a load of balloons!

I usually pack a sandwich and a few munches in my kit bag for after a marathon, I don't think we should rely on goodie bags at any race..IMHO its got a bit like party bags at children's parties...trying to out do one another and putting pressure on everyone to supply one.  London one is usually full of rubbish along with a pepperoni sausage thing and an apple so its not like the bigger the event the better the bag.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.