Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

2,021 to 2,040 of 4,336 messages
20/01/2013 at 17:06

7 for me this morning in falling snow, takes me to 60.1 this week

Jelley tight shoulders is a common side effect of running hard. Little tip is to practice running with your hands lightly clenched but your thumbs up, it does something weird that seems to bring your arms down and release the shoulders. If you want to practice good running form with faster turnover, work strides into one of your easy runs every week - thats 75m of faster running in a really smooth and controlled manner. It takes time but eventually you should find when you run fast you will move towards the same form you can get in your strides.

Oh and YES YOU CAN DO IT. This is the time when the training is working but may not be obvious yet. Trust in the plan. 

20/01/2013 at 17:08

More info on strides here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/qa-what-are-strides/2193.html

That description of its what the fast runners do before races is a brilliant one, but you can work 5-6 into a 5 to 6 mile run quite easily.

20/01/2013 at 17:47
10 miles for me in the snow this morning. Loved every minute.
20/01/2013 at 18:48
After a quiet day yesterday, it resumed snowing at about 7am here and kept it up all day. Had a 14 miler with the training group at 9am and it was pretty extreme! Very hilly with snow in deep drifts, but that snow and ice didn't bother me - oh no - because I have 'Yaktraks'!! It was their maiden voyage and they worked a treat once I figured out how to put them on my trainers. I may only need them once or twice a year, but being able to get out and run through this winter wonderland felt amazing. Also, someone lovely had put my dressing gown on the radiator by the front door for when I got back - bliss!
20/01/2013 at 22:26
Evening all! Great to hear all this fantastic running that's been going. I bottled out of my run on Friday because it was a blizzard here. Set off on Saturday and managed 8 miles through the snow and ice. It was incredibly hard work though, so I reckon that counted as my 12 mile LSR - where the S stands for snowy

I tried out one of my Christmas presents - 'Icebiters'. They strap over your shoes and have little spikes in. They were amazing and worked brilliantly. I highly recommend them. I ran past people who were slipping and sliding whilst out walking, and the expression on their faces was so funny - a cross between amazement and disbelief!
20/01/2013 at 22:46
Picklelilly - my Icebiters sound like your Yaktraks - amazing, aren't they!

Curly45 - thanks for the encouragement. As I was slogging through the snow I was thinking about how the training has to be hard work so that the race will seem easier (well- I hope so!) Not sure I'm brave enough to try the abs workout...

Snow maiden - well done on the diet. And the running of course!
21/01/2013 at 08:57

Morning all!

Saturday's XC in the snow went well, but as soon as I stopped running I was limping with what felt like a pulled muscle in my groin. I replaced yesterday's planned 14 miler with 2 hours on a bike in the gym (yawn!) at a similar intensity to my long run, and lots of stretches and it seems much better.

Hopefully a sports massage this afternoon will allow me to do today's planned 5 miler (on the treadmill, possibly, as Leeds is very snowy today!) . 

Well done to all of you still training well, the miles in the winter will mean big rewards in the spring! 

21/01/2013 at 13:59

afternoon all

well 8 miles done on treadmill today as the pavements are still covered in compacted snow and ice but at the rate it's melting at the moment i could well be out for a run tomorrow

21/01/2013 at 14:50

Well done Toby - Your on track. Btw - every lb lost in weight is said to be worth 2sec/mile. So your weight loss see's you well below sub 4

Hope it recovers for you sarah - well done on the cross training.

A 10.5 miler today with the dog out in the snow. Once out in the coutrylanes was easy enough to run on the snow ........Lulu ( black lab) loved it !!

21/01/2013 at 17:22

13m in the Sussex snow cross country with the club yesterday (25 of us - we got several odd looks !). Incredibly hard, several of the marathon training newbies found it a massive struggle and were close to bonking - 3-4 inches of snow, with soft mud underneath a lot of the time. Very, very slow (took longer than my 17m road run last week) but brilliant for strengthening the legs and developing endurance.

I've got some YakTraks as well - they are brilliant. Didn't use them yesterday as not really needed offroad, but superb on icy pavements and compacted frozen slush on the roads.

21/01/2013 at 17:56

Well done to everyone for persevering in the freezing weather!

Curly thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I have a 5 km race tomorrow evening so I'll try to remember how to relax!

Snow's all gone here - mixture of relief all back to normal and sadness - snowman is melting and the dogs are disappointed!

21/01/2013 at 20:08

10m on the treadmill this evening, including 5m at threshold pace.  Felt so much tougher than running outside. My heart rate averaged 5bpm to 10bpm per mile higher than on my previous outdoor threshold run, even though I was a little slower.

The snow is in no hurry to go around this way.  The kids were off school today 

If I can manage the tightness in my calf (caused by the previous run in the snow), I'll hopefully get back outside for my midweek MLR.  I certainly hope I don't have to do next week's threshold session on the treadmill.

21/01/2013 at 22:32

Thanks AGF- got in my planned 5 miler outdoors in the snow this evening, took it super steady but my leg felt alright, stiff but not painful, so fingers crossed!

22/01/2013 at 03:54

Morning all

had a light shower of snow just before i came home from work stop now so i am hoping that will be that all though if the icebiters i ordered yesterday arrive i may well get to try them out if it starts again

22/01/2013 at 08:30

Hello all, my notification thing hasn't been working so tried reading back but too much missed.

Wanted to ask locals about the park & ride sites mentioned in the latest email from organisers. I'm staying near Eastbourne and was wondering which of the 3 would be easiest to get to?

22/01/2013 at 09:56

Toby - which icebiters did you order?  I looked at the x-country ones then realised that they were discontinued 

22/01/2013 at 10:24

Morning all, and congrats to everyone who's kept running in the snow.

My running hasn't been too badly affected - managed a ten miler on pretty much snow-free tracks on Sunday, and will be heading out for a lunchtime 4 miler later.

Looks like I need to invest in new shoes too as the treads are pretty worn (especially on my right heel). Time to get another gait analysis done, I think, and time to raid the piggy bank.

22/01/2013 at 11:27

Hello all. Postponed my 16 miles on Sunday as all of the pavements were lethal ... going to do it this Sunday instead. I am doing 3 x 5 miles this week to make up a little of the missed distance, first one was last night, and most of the pavements are now fine. Trying to be sensible and not catch up all of the missed distance in one go as that is when injuries start .. but v.keen to try out the bananas and jelly babies on a long run as previously advised !! Hope no-one has suffered any snow/ice related injuries out there.

22/01/2013 at 11:47

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/535370/gallery/icebiters.jpg?width=350

Ice Biters Snowdon Ice Grippers Shoes Accessory

22/01/2013 at 12:03

Yak Traks (although have to say I like the look of the Ice Biters too)

https://www.yaktrax.co.uk/shop/yaktrax-pro

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.