Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

201 to 220 of 4,336 messages
20/04/2012 at 15:22
Post Marathon Blues? I'm border line depressed.
20/04/2012 at 15:26

Last year after Brighton (my first marathon), I wanted/needed a break from running and had about 8 weeks off (this did co-incide with a 3 week holiday and a house move though so I guess I was quite busy!), this year I have been itching to get back out since about Tuesday and went out for my first post-marathon run this morning - a lovely steady 6 miler along the seafront as the sun was coming up.

It felt good to be back

20/04/2012 at 15:31

See if I had a seafront to run accross I'd be much happier.

I won't run again until next week now. I've had a few niggles of late so will give them a chance to do one.

20/04/2012 at 15:35
I think that's why I REALLY enjoyed training for this year's marathon compared to last year when we were living in London - running around the streets of London vs a run along the seafront - no comparison really!
20/04/2012 at 15:35
Thanks for your words of wisdom...I'm in! Yay!

Post marathon blues? Yeah...problem is, I need to rest the niggling groin strain I've had for about 12 months. Going to leave it 2 months before I get my trustee old trainees out again! I'll have gone up the walls by then!
Was originally going to rest for about 7 months but I can't wait another year before doing another marathon...I just can't!
20/04/2012 at 15:49

We got really lucky with the weather in the end last Sunday. It's been gusting and pissing it down all week down here.

I definitely wasn't tempted to go out and do a seafront run earlier in the week.

20/04/2012 at 15:57
Heisenberg, I hate the post marathon void. I've eaten almost my own body weight in chocolate. I threw away my trainers after Sunday, and looking forward to breaking in the new pair, that have sat patiently until now. Only problem being a constant pain in the top of my foot. It's eased slightly, been massage it out on a tennis ball.

I'm so jealous of runners in London this Sunday. I want to do it!!
20/04/2012 at 16:02

Help what have I done!

I have now paid the full entry fee for the Brighton Marathon 2013 and have my place confirmed. 

We are back in Bristol now and I need to prepare myself for training properly for the Marathon.  I will admit I put down the maximum time on the entry form to give myself plenty of time.

I have a few training plans bookmarked already, so I am sure I will be ok.

20/04/2012 at 16:16
It's my birthday night out on Saturday so I imagine the marathon void will be filled with a few pints and shots. Been out of the game for a while, so I'll be floored by about 8pm.
20/04/2012 at 16:20
I've felt like something has been missing in my life this week! To make matters worse I was supposed to be getting married tomorrow! Saying that though, I'm still with my girlfriend; I just think we were a bit ahead of ourselves with the whole marriage thing. And further, I wouldn't have been running Brighton last weekend if things hadn't gone tits up with the wedding (swings and roundabouts and all that!).

Looking forward to running again but will probably leave it to next week now. I'm sure being in London Sunday to help with the marathon will have me itching to run!

Nick_S, poohbear - glad you're in!
20/04/2012 at 16:32

Afternoon all

Well as Poobear said we now back in Bristol and have just paid up for next year so we will be back my goal for next year is to knock 29 seconds of my PB as for post marathon runs i won’t be out now till next week

They won’t be anything to long as the next race i have is a 10k so there’s really no need to do anything over 6 miles so will probably make up some form of plan to follow my self

I see from the entry from that all numbers will have to be collected next year from the Exbo so that’s going to be new to me as for the last three i have them sent

Lombster sorry to hear about the wedding hope things work them self out

20/04/2012 at 17:22
No running yet for me that littlle run we did last weekend seems to have aggravated the calf injury I had hoped had healed before hand. Oh well no harm in resting and have started reading advanced marathoning so watch out Brighton 2013 and all those elite runners
20/04/2012 at 18:32
Juggler - appreciate the best wishes, but I've got another week to my marathon (Milton Keynes). I'm an annual London reject.

Good luck to all those who are running Sunday. I'll be watching from the sofa and beginning my lazy pre-race week.
20/04/2012 at 19:31
Note to self; always take a few days off following a marathon. I'm just heading home, and my legs really ache still.
20/04/2012 at 19:47
I've been itching to get out, but have listened to advice of running club to leave it for a few days, so have had sports massage, been stretching & doing loads of stretching, and so feel really good. On the nights I would normally run I have been planning my training schedule for Abingdon as I hope to knock 15-20 minutes off my Brighton time (premature I know, but it keeps me focused). Chocolate and alcohol have helped! And will be watching VLM on Sunday as I know about a dozen friends running - for once I will know what they are going through and will make sure I give them as much support as I can muster.
20/04/2012 at 20:11

still thrilled after my first marathon and my time of 3:48:45 and cant wait for my 1st run back on the streets and pathways of sussex which will be this weekend for sure

i so looking forward to next year marathon but suddenly realised probably wont be able to do as week after my 50th which i wanted to go away somewhere nice so rules out brighton 2013  but maybe vienna marathon as its april 14th same day , lol im sure missus won t mind week in vienna bar 1 day ha ha

i had severe stomach cramps on weds morning , only hurt when i stood up or stretched but was ok if i sat down or was in bed , was that marathon related as only happened wednesday morning ??

20/04/2012 at 23:01
Post-marathon blues is starting to set in, and I can't run because I have major toenail pain and it's gone red. I did do 3 miles on the treadmill this morning - gosh I felt slow, and it made my toenails worse. I'm going crazy - all this pent up energy!

20/04/2012 at 23:26
I'm finding that focusing my pent up energy into big glasses of merlot currently helping!
21/04/2012 at 10:03

Adam, that's a fantastic first marathon. Can't you go somewhere nice in the taper week and then fly back for Brighton?

I need to knock 10 minutes off my BM time and am unsure how to do it.

I sort of followed Hal Higdons intermediate plan in training but found myself struggling with leg cramps in the last few miles in the race. My long runs were 20 miles, of which I did three. Should I change plans? Should I attempt another Autumn marathon? Do I concentrate on half marathons to try improve my speed until next year? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

21/04/2012 at 10:35
Lombster - sorry about the wedding. Glad you see the positive. And I'm running Liverpool. I hate hills!

Just done a 10 miler at an easy pace. Trying to prepare for Manchester next sunday (cripes!). Everything is feeling ok - touch wood - apart from a blister I seem to have developed over the last 24hrs.

Post-marathon blues really floored me this year. I was pretty low Tues/weds. What goes up, etc.

Paid my full entry now for 2013 so it's all official
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.