Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

2,241 to 2,260 of 4,336 messages
07/02/2013 at 16:29

Chickened out of my 8 miles yesterday due to busy work day & freezing wind

Did the 8 this morning, bright crisp sunny but cold & will move my rest day from tomorrow to yesterday.

Tip for first timers: Trust in your training, it is the 1 thing you can control. There are 1001 things outside your control which you shouldn't waste energy worrying over. This will be my 15th marathon, each has been totally different through things like organisation & weather affecting race days both positively & negatively but nothing I could do to affect them. 

07/02/2013 at 20:06
Wise words Gloryboy and WOW! 15th marathon! Do you have a favourite and if so, what's made it the best?

Daniel B well done on the excellent training, but more info than required on the toe nail situation thanks.....I feel a bit ill now.

Lots of good runs clocking up on here again as we approach the weekend of LSR. Did my mid-week 12.5 miles on Weds morning, a tough climb up to Devils Dyke, head-on into an icy wind (just for a change).....made breathing very hard work. The gale-assisted, downhill, return leg was super quick though

What is it with the windy weather this year?? Every run seems to be hampered by a full-on gale. It's very tiring. Anyone else in need of a nice calm day? 11k on the treadmill tomorrow, at least it won't blow a gale in the gym!
08/02/2013 at 03:48

20 to do today then i expect i be out with Poohbear tomorrow as she has 14 to do so Saturday night will be feet up in front of the telly

08/02/2013 at 06:29

Thank you all for your kind words. I still have not run and now have a cold, I am hoping to get out here in the next few days and just see how it goes

Some great training going on..well done to everyone for keeping at it

08/02/2013 at 10:19

Keep up the good work folks. I managed 19 Miles last night after work. Had to improvise as I have a busy weekend. its nice to have got out the way earlier in the week though

08/02/2013 at 16:32

did the usual 10km cycle ride to Stevenage train station and back (339 calories). Back in the gym slogging it out, and the warm up conisisted another 12 minutes on the treadmill (1.67km jogging and 141 calories burnt). Main session on the treadmill lasted 30 minutes, with the machine at a 2% incline and running spped at 10kph (6.5mph), so I did 5.2km (3.2 miles) and burnt 472 calories and the 5 minute cool down I did 0.43km and burnt an further 23 calories. Then I went onto the stationary bike and did 24 minutes light cycling which I did 8.86km (5.5 miles), and burnt 130 calories. Finished off the gym session with a light weights session.

CALORIES BURNT: 1105

KMs RAN: 7.30

MILES RAN: 4.5

MILES/KM CYCLED: 18.86/11.5

Not looking forward to Sunday. Planned to do a 15 mile run but looks like I got heavy snow falling in the Anglia region. Dam it. Oh well, but tomorrow at least I can do a 5k park run at Finsbury Park, London

08/02/2013 at 18:10

Afternoon all

Well 20 miles done and dusted had a few spots of rain but on the whole it actual sunny most of the way around still quite chilly though the whole thing took 3:13:25 but that’s with the stopping for traffic if you look at the moving time it drops to 3:08:49 had a look at last year’s time for the same run and I’m 26 minutes fast on the moving time than i was at this stage last year

just have to keep it up but i am still no were near where i need to be to go sub 4hr

08/02/2013 at 18:26
15 marathons glory boy wow. impressive. Which one did you do your best time on?
08/02/2013 at 19:34
Hi all. Back for year 4. It's the only holiday I'm getting this year.

Toby 3. That's definitely sub 4 running!

Wokingham half for me Sunday. Good opportunity for a time trial run.....Friday night eating donuts may prevent a good race????
08/02/2013 at 19:41

Fabulous running everyone well done!

Mark D - someone I knew did Boston marathon and they all ate doughnuts and coffee before the run and really enjoyed it - typical US approach perhaps?? Good luck though.

I did a very wet hill rep session with the club last night and tomorrow is 2 hrs varied running - attempting to go up one long hill at HM  pace.......but I do then go down the other side so some postives I suppose! But it's about 3 miles uphill, so I'll be puffing hard I'm sure.  

08/02/2013 at 19:56
Toby, that's the same speed as my long runs last year when i ran 3:34
08/02/2013 at 20:55
Toby, great work on the 20 miler. The long runs should be 10-20% slower than your marathon pace so you're easily on for a sub-4.

I've got to be up early tomorrow for a 20-miler. Should be looking at 60 miles for the week.
09/02/2013 at 08:40
Bad run today. Meant to do 14 miles but felt wiped out almost straight away. I did have a big mileage increase last week but having had 2 days off thought I was OK. Managed 8 miles which is about 7 more than I felt like!
Anyway, given that I have a half marathon next week I thought better to last this one go and hope to feel better next week. Unfortunately it means no more leeway with the long runs now! Hope everyone else has a better run.
09/02/2013 at 10:20
Morning all! More great mileage going on Pleased to report I managed my first 16 miler yesterday . Even better, I seen to have managed to stopped my imminent shin splints in their tracks Off to investigate compression socks as I think that's the key!

Toby - funnily enough I had been watching that same video earlier in the week, the one of the route. Hasn't seen the race video though - all very inspiring, thank you.

Hope everyone manages to avoid the snow this weekend - not what we need!
09/02/2013 at 13:36
Black And Tabby wrote (see)
Morning all! More great mileage going on Pleased to report I managed my first 16 miler yesterday . Even better, I seen to have managed to stopped my imminent shin splints in their tracks Off to investigate compression socks as I think that's the key! 

B+T, you might want to try compression calf guards instead of the compression socks - that way you can still wear your running sock of choice. I have these http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/info_2272.html and they are probably the best bit of kit I've bought (they come in more conventional colours if you don't fancy bright pink!) Well done on the 16 miles

After 2 weeks of doing 20+ miles off-road on the South Downs, I did a very flat 24 miles to Worthing and back in 03:54:24 so pretty pleased with that.

Someone a few posts back asked about running 26.2 miles in training. This is just my opinion and with everything running related it's purely subjective and down to the individual, but the best piece of advice I got from a friend who had ran numerous marathons, before I ran my first marathon was 'Avoid every training plan that does a longest run of 18 miles and do as many 20+ miles as your body and time will allow'.

I've never run 26.2 miles in training (I like to save that for 'special occasions'!) but I go up to 24 miles and my husband does a couple of 26.2 miles before a marathon. Obviously don't do that if it's going to wipe your running out for the next week, but if you can run those kind of distances on a Saturday and then be out running again Monday (Tuesday at the latest) then I think it helps you physically and more importantly mentally. There is a MASSIVE difference in being able to run 18 miles and being able to run 26 miles and those last 6 miles are ALWAYS going to be tough....but if you've done a few 20+ milers then I find it's such a psychological boost and regardless of what other factors race day might throw at you (weather, conditions, how you're feeling etc) you KNOW you can pretty much run the distance. But as I said that's purely my opinion and what has worked for me.

Have a good weekend running everyone, I'm going to sit on my bum and eat cheese

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 13:37
09/02/2013 at 14:05
Agree with Barbie1976 entirely. 18 IMHO is just not enough. As many 20+'s as your body will allow and as close to race distance as you dare go. Some even go beyond, but that spoils the big day!

Interesting to see that a lot of runners are already well in to there 20 mile runs. Good stuff!
09/02/2013 at 14:33

Hi all.  I'm battling through a pretty hard time, hence the lack of posts.  Running has been difficult, but I am starting to enjoy it again.

Today I ran my first 20m run of the year in 3:22:45, including a couple of short pit-stops .  A nice planned negative split with the outbound ten miles in 1:46:20, and the return in 1:36:25.  Although there was rain/sleet throughout the run, it was much more pleasant than the recent biting high winds!

I'm hoping to clock-up 50m this week by running a 6m recovery tomorrow.  I reckon I should be back on track by the end of next week (finger's crossed!).

09/02/2013 at 15:31

Hey guys, I only did a 5k parkrun before I went to work today at Finsbury Park London. I managed 22.08 (3 seconds off my personal best) and finished 40th/140th. :P Hope the weather stays calm tomorrow for me to get in my first 15 mile outdoor run.

09/02/2013 at 17:38

Well back from the run with Poohbear she should have been doing 12 miles this week but because of the H/M were running in March had swapped some of the runs around and ended up with a 14 today

or so i thought we had done the bulk of the run and as we got close to home i happen to mention that we had already done 14.5 miles and it would be at least 15 by the time we got home it was at this point Poohbear decided that if we were that close to 16 miles then it would be daft not to do them, so that was that found myself doing another 1.5 to make up the 16

come back the days that when if she was struggling all  Poohbear want to do bless her is go home she getting far too keen for me in the end we were out for 4:44:57 which is good as that’s the longest run she’s ever done

so if you if include the 10k on Sunday that’s a 63 mile week for me this week I’ve never done this amount of training for Brighton before

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 17:48
09/02/2013 at 17:41

@Toby3 - 63 miles! Wow! Thats great training! Keep it up!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.