Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

2,481 to 2,500 of 4,336 messages
24/02/2013 at 07:56
Sarah sad to pull out I had to pull out of Abingdon in October, but before you know it the next one is round the corner. What I did was to take very small steps to increase my weekly long runs once I was fit. This gave me a great base when I started my 16 week plan for Brighton. It gives you the extra time to increase the weekly mileage more gradually and reduces risk of more injuries.

Preparing myself for 24 miles this morning. The first few steps are always tough. Have a good day all.
24/02/2013 at 13:28

Sarahmarsbar - so sorry to hear you're not runing - you must feel really frustrated. But, as the others have said, its better to be safe than sorry - 26 miles is a long way to run if injured. Good luck with the recovery though.

SwervinMervin - are you doing additional exercises and did you have a proper diagnosis at all? Hope the physio can help.

Well did 30 mins beach run - really cold and a very stiff headwind for the first half, but turned around and not quite so bad on the way back. Knee back to its normal self (a bit of discomfort is normal for me), so that's encouraging.

Someone asked about types of compression socks a while back - forgot to respond straight away and this thread is so busy that it will take me ages to find out who it was! So, I first of all bought some saucony ones in the correct shoe size but they were listed as 'unisex' I rang and asked about the size and said they were for ladies so ordered them. However, althought the foot size is fine I don't find there is enough compression in the calf, but I am quite slightly built so that may be the reason. So, I then bought a pair from More Mile and they are fab! Nice size - my only criticism is that I would have liked them about 2 inches longer! I shall be wearing them on April 14th!!  

Hope everyone is keeping well and had a good weekend of training....weeks are flying by now Yikes!!!

24/02/2013 at 14:46
Hi JB....no diagnosis yet

Sports massage person doesn't believe its ITB and is basically scratching her head......I'm hoping the physio can shed some light on it. I'm starting to fret about the cost of these sessions long term too!
24/02/2013 at 15:04

I echo the comments about appropriate language. This thread is a fantastic combination of experienced runners/first timers, and what links everyone is the friendly banter throughout. There is no place for offensive language of any kind.

Moan over, I am delighted to have done my first ever 20 mile run this morning - it went exactly to plan. I averaged 10:45 per mile, and I didn't slow down at all even at the end. My entire left leg (foot, knee and hip) all started to hurt at the same time at around 19 miles, so the last mile included a bit of a hobble, but given that was the worst that happened, I was happy with that. A couple of hours later, it is the arch of my left foot that hurts the most, fingers crossed that will be back to normal soon.

I combined energy drink, with SIS gels, and jelly babies ..... and between them they got me through !!

24/02/2013 at 16:30
Good stuff Salisbury lad. The first one is alway a great achievement.

SM. Lets hope the physio can throw some light on it.

24 today in 3.26. Quite happy cos I've had a tough couple of weeks. That brings this weeks total to 70. It was bloody freezing tho!!!!! Cut back to 50 next week so looking forward to the rest.
24/02/2013 at 17:37
Oh dear, the aches and niggles are starting to mount up on this thread. So sorry to hear your news Sarah, it's a very brave decision to pull out of a race. As for everyone else....take it easy and get the niggles looked at. We're only 3-4 weeks away from taper now, so don't let the urge to run on an injury (just to keep up with your plan) ruin the big event. (I know you'll ignore this and run anyway!)

The end of my cut back week has finished with Tunbridge Wells Half this morning. I was dreading the freezing cold conditions, but it actually wasn't so bad. And the 'challenging', 'hilly' course I kept reading about wasn't half as bad as I'd built up in my head. All in all it was a very pleasant race, and although it was never going to be a PB with all those hills, I am chuffed with my 1:44 finish time. The feet are up and I was feeling quite smug......until I started reading all the amazing distances you guys completed this weekend. Still, it's back up to normal mileage next week, and hopefully all the fitter for having had a break. Now, where did I put that cake?
24/02/2013 at 18:19

First 15 miler today in 2.38 - aching quite a bit now but overall very happy with how it went- am convinced I have tweaked my ITB so will need to do lots of rolling and stretching and going to try and fit in a sports massage this week . I have the Newport half next Sunday so It will be interesting to see how quick I can go .

Jelleybaby - it was me asking about the compression socks so thanks for the info

Roast beef and double portion of roast  potatoes for tea !

24/02/2013 at 18:36

Salisbury Lad, 20 miles is a big mental milestone. well done

24/02/2013 at 18:57

Some excellent long runs being bagged in here! Well done guys, especially those cracking a new distance and to MarkD - nice pace and longest run of the thread

Commiserations to Sarah Marsbar ... just wanted to say dont feel too disheartened, I lost much of last year to injury and illness and am now in the shape in my life. You will come back stronger from this. Oh and try to find something else to do actve while your injuries are healing. Good luck.

24/02/2013 at 18:58

Hi All,

I'm sorry to say that I've made the decision to pull out of this years event.

Two weeks ago I had a fall whilst out on a long slow run and sustain injury to my ribs.  I had to take a week off work but am still in pain despite my GP prescribing me some powerful pills to help with that.  On the plus side, I called the organisers who have agreed to defer my entry for next year.  I had already planned a long weekend in Brighton for the marathon and will still go ahead with that.  Also, I'll now be one of the marshals in the Start Area.  Wish you all the best with what ever goals you have for this event.

Darren488

p.s. will definately be running Brighton parkrun on the Saturday morning.  Can't wait.

24/02/2013 at 19:46

Picklelilly what a good time I’d give my back teeth for 1:44 the best I’ve ever managed is 1:51

Darren sorry to hear you had to pull out  hope the ribs recover soon but great your still going to be involved as a marshal

Salisbury lad well done on your first ever 20 miles great mental boost

great running everybody not long now keep up the good work

24/02/2013 at 21:25
Had a great 18 mile run today completed in 3 hours going for the big 20 at some point this week.
Well done everyone this weekend with the long runs-can't even fathom doing 24 as a training run!!!
25/02/2013 at 08:58
Some good mileage going on by everyone. Gutted for Sarah and Darren who have pulled out.

Picklelilly - I normally love running in the cold but I was absolutely freezing after the TW Half. For some reason I was warmer after Tough Guy when it had been -4 and we had to swim through the ice! Great time BTW. The hills were tough but my training has definitely been paying off and I managed a PB of 1:26:30. I still don't think I'm quite there for a sub-3 marathon but at least I'm heading in the right direction.

I'll be upping the mileage again this week and planned a 22 miler at the weekend.

I'm also now into my 8th week with no alcohol which is by far the longest I've ever gone (by about 7 weeks!). I'm actually really enjoying it.

Have a great week everyone
25/02/2013 at 09:30

Hi everyone, well done on the long runs, my legs are still a little sore after saturday's 18 miles. Had a nice shock when I woke up this morning. I sent the link to my Just Giving page to my friends last night and when I woke up they had donated over £100 between them overnight.

Sarah and Darren - Sorry to hear you've had to pull out.

25/02/2013 at 09:30
Lombster great time. 3hours may be tight but you've still got a few weeks and with a good taper it's definitely possible. Did you run 3.12 at Brighton last year?
Alcohol. 8 weeks clean. Tougher than any marathon
25/02/2013 at 12:17

Good going Lombster - I am in my 7th week with no alcohol, and like you I am quite enjoying it. It is quite a bizarre feeling, going without a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of pints at the weekend. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to that first drink sometime after the race, but it is as if my body knows it needs every advantage it can get to do 26.2 miles, and going without alcolhol for 3 months is just a very small price to pay. Also, I can justify to my wife that money I would have spent on alcohol can instead be spent on running bits and pieces !!

25/02/2013 at 12:41

Lombster/SalisburyLad - I also join the no (or very little) booze camp when I'm training for a marathon. I had my last drink on my birthday (mid January), and apart from a few beers after Brighton half last weekend, that's my alcohol consumption done until approximately 1.30pm on Sunday 14th April

This is the 4th time I've done it and I really do notice the benefits of it...although I'm with you SalisburyLad and that first post-race beer tasting soooo good

25/02/2013 at 12:44
Maybe they should have a beer tent at the finish
25/02/2013 at 13:12

Mark - Just under 3:14 for me last year. Feel that 3:10 is doable at the moment but definitely need the remainder of my training to be focussed to go under 3.

Glad I'm not the only one having some time off the booze! Also looking forward to a post-race beer, but I'm certainly not going to have as many as last year and go out clubbing until the early hours!

25/02/2013 at 14:24

Afternoon all

8 miles done today run took 1:13:18 with and Avg pace of 8:56 m/m

had to order a new pair of running shoes as the old ones are now Waring badly were i come down on the outside edge of my heel ordered them from the start fitness web site and with another pair of running tights as i let Snowmaiden have one of mine with the discount code the two items came to less than i paid for my current running shoes from the running shop

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 14:24
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.