Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

2,621 to 2,640 of 4,336 messages
04/03/2013 at 22:57

missed my run today and took a rest day instead. Feeling a bit stiff now, so I wish I *had* made it out for my recovery run!

Phew!

04/03/2013 at 23:09
Black And Tabby wrote (see)

Felt like I was going down with a cold last night - had an awful night's sleep with coughing

Ditto   This is the second year in a row I've caught a bad cough in time for the half marathon.  It's not in the chest, though, so I'm intending to resume training tomorrow.  Hope yours is okay too.

Great race reports!  Some really good pacing going on and some useful confidence building all around I think!

05/03/2013 at 07:51
B&T and Toby. Great reports.

I always take echinacea in he few weeks running up to race day. Always seems to kept the cold at bay, also I'm very slightly asthmatic and because of this get free flu jabs. They really do work!!!!
Feeling rather lethargic this week. Hopefully new trainers will turn up today (and fit) to regenerate my mojo
Less than 3 weeks til taper.
05/03/2013 at 10:59

just looked at the Brighton marathon website, and (unless I am going mad), it seems that they have switched at a late stage to Gatorade for the energy drink, not Powerade as previously stated. Is it just me, or is this a kick in the *£)%(£ at this late stage for those of us who have been using Powerade to get used to it ??

05/03/2013 at 12:27
Salisbury lad. I thought we received an email some time back saying that Gatorade was the official drink. I didn't realise they had previously advertised powerade???
In all honesty the training that everyone on this forum has done will make the drink manufacturer irrelevant. Trust in your training that's what will get you through
05/03/2013 at 14:22

As Mark D said, I can safely say I couldn't tell you from one race to another which manufacturer provided the drinks - it really won't make a difference. I'm sure if you compare the ingredients on both Gatorade and Powerade they'll probably be identical anyway!

05/03/2013 at 14:48

Afternoon all

well 10 miles for me today and what a beautiful one it was must be the hottest day we've had in a long time first time out without a jacket have to say i glad they've got rid of the power aid as i personally didn't like it any way and have never used it

05/03/2013 at 16:15

All the energy drinks taste cack.  Until mile twenty, at which point they taste like nectar.

8m recovery today.  Beautiful day for slowing down, which was just as well really.

05/03/2013 at 17:04

Thanks all - that has made me feel a lot better about the drink !! I shall just have to imagine it is that first pint of beer in 13 weeks and I am sure the world will feel rosy

XX1
05/03/2013 at 17:06
Has anyone considered turning this thread into a book and publishing it?
XX1
05/03/2013 at 21:30

So many posts to read!!!

Excellent report B&T well done on the run as well!

I had a nice rest day yesterday and then today did 45 mins marathon pace (8.40), 10 mins walk then 30 mins back to marathon pace. I was dreading it initially as the last run/walk/run I did was disastrous! However, I really enjoyed it and managed to go faster in the last section than the first. the only thing I fogot was that it's not light if you go out at 5.30 for an hour and 20 mins... no street lights in one section where I ran and I had no lights (very bad of me I know), but I was wearing a white top!

Debating where to run for 20 miles on Saturday......decisions, decisions. 

05/03/2013 at 22:35
SalisburyLad - love the idea of imagining its beer. Will taste wonderful then!

Mark - I've been taking echinacea since Monday - feeling okay during the day, but waking up coughing in the night and disturbing husband so ending up on the sofa - yawn!

9.5M for me today - legs were feeling very tired, buy I guess running on tired legs is good practice for the big day!
05/03/2013 at 23:33

1:14:52 for five miles. Managing to keep under a 15 min/mile which I'm pleased about, even if I didn't match my previous time. Managed to jog the whole route too, even up New Walk which is a rather steep hill.

06/03/2013 at 04:48

Snownmaiden good for you well done  kido

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 04:48
06/03/2013 at 08:17

Great runs from everyone, keep it going. I am delighted that after a quick (for me) 5.3 mile run yesteday (49 mins), no ill effects on the foot at all, so full steam ahead.

06/03/2013 at 09:07
Wow- impressive stuff on here- is very motivating! Well done to all for pbs and sticking to training goals- long slow run for me today.
Although my legs seem to be holding up well the fatigue after long runs is terrible at the moment Suspect is diet related so trying to eat and hydrate. Actually dreading how I will feel this evening ( and for next few days) Have my new gels to try so maybe they will help. Any ideas for quicker recovery? Thanks
06/03/2013 at 09:47

CatherineP Do you use compression socks? i used to use them only after a run, but find them really good and having read someone's post on here I now wear them when running more than about 6 miles - recovery is much better.

Re diet - try increasing protein intake can be meat/poultry/veg/pulse based but protein helps muscle repair (I'm sure you know that anyway sorry!). Keep well hydrated  the day before a long run as well as on the run itself? What about a foam roller? I also find that I am much better if I keep moving after a long run even just at a slow pace rather than collapsing in a heap which would probably be my preferred choice!!

Hope the new gels work

06/03/2013 at 10:04
Hiya. That's really useful. I have got some compression socks- to be honest I didn't really know what they were useful for(!)-they didn't seem to have much effect on run itself so just wear occasionally- didn't realise useful for recovery!
Also you may be right about protein- I havent really upped that in recovery phase- have been concentrating on eating carbs before the run to try and get the energy I need.
Feeling less dread now I know there are some easy changes to try- thanks
06/03/2013 at 10:08
Ice bath not that I would
Edited: 06/03/2013 at 10:09
06/03/2013 at 10:19
Er... Think I will try other suggestions first
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.