Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

2,661 to 2,680 of 4,397 messages
07/03/2013 at 06:39

GCE - I have been running since 2008 but before last April when I signed up for this years Marathon to keep Snowmaiden company (mine and Toby3's daughter who had always said she would complete Marathon in 2013) I had never ran further than a 10K and that very slowly in over an hour and a half. 

Now almost 11 months down the line I find I am enjoying running and love the thrill of seeing the finish line and trying my hardest to get there quick enough to beat my previous time. 

Tillstar - I would say yes to recommending running a marathon as the focus that the training has given me and the confidence that comes with knowing I can run further than I have before has definitely given me a more positive outlook on life.  Hopefully I will still be able to say the same when I cross the finish line in 38 days time.

07/03/2013 at 07:40
Thank you poohbear (and everyone else) for your great answers. You have made me determined to do this one in 2014 and I have booked the day off work on the Friday to sign up at the exbo. I hope I enjoy it just as much as you guys seem to have done. I know I have said it before but this forum is great I really hope you all have a fantastic marathon :0)
07/03/2013 at 08:01

Tillstar id say yes to doing a marathon too i did the first 3 brighton marathons again after saying id only do 1....the sense of pride and achievment is immense the only thing i will say is dont under estimate the time it takes for training its 3 months of putting yourself first ......you really do have to have an understanding family and friends.....and i do have understanding children (teenagers) and they have put up with late dinners and not going out for last 3 winters and so for this reason i decided to have a winter off training for the first time in 3 years so im not running this year.... but im still hoping to go down to brighton to cheer everyone on...

07/03/2013 at 10:27

Tillstar - if you're determined to run it, get your hotel booked ASAP!! We'e ended up staying miles away but hopefully it will be okay on the morning. And hopefully we'll be okay to find somewhere to eat on the Saturday night!!!

Lovely reading everyone's reasons for running a marathon. basically its a huge sense of satisfaction at doing something you never thought you'd be able to do. I staggered round London last year after getting injured training, so for me I'm getting a huge boost from actually managing the training this year! Don't underestimate how much time the training will take though, nor how tired / hungry you will feel all the time. And also don't underestimate how emotional you will feel on the day (or is that just me??)

07/03/2013 at 11:25

Hi all,

A friend and I are setting out to run the Brighton Marathon in support of the mental health charity Mind and a children's hospice in Chichester called Chestnut Tree House. 

In an effort to try and get creative with the fund raising what started as a stupid idea, dreamt up on a coffee break in the office, is now realised in this silly little video about marathon training. I thought you guys here might get a kick out of it

WATCH IT HERE — http://youtu.be/mrlUj6qjdyw

If it raises a smile a donation of £2 would be really appreciated.

Hope you enjoy it and good luck to all who are training for a spring marathon. Only 37 days to Brighton!

You can donate to me here http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/jrogers or my partner here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/mikewilliams12

Or just let us know what you think at - would love ot hear from you! http://www.facebook.com/headvheart

07/03/2013 at 11:49

Picklelilly - great restaurant choices  If anyone is staying at the Travelodge at Preston Park, there is Pizza 500 only a short walk away, which does the best pizza and pasta in Brighton imo....and is cheap and chips

I echo what everyone says about running a marathon, the only thing I will warn you is that it is VERY addictive - I was sure I would only run one but once you've got the bug you will find it very hard to stop!

07/03/2013 at 12:49

Why did I start the debate about food, I get hungry every time I read a new post !!

Doing a 5 mile hilly run tonight .. have been missing the rain over the last couple of weeks, so will be good to run in the wet again

Regarding whether I would advise others to run a marathon ... I haven't done my first yet, but from what I have experienced to date in my training, plus raising money for charity, it has already been a life changing experience. Two years ago, the furthest I had run was 2 miles. Today, I wouldn't think twice about going out for a 10 mile run at the drop of a hat ... and having done 20 miles, I still find it difficult to believe I actually did that.

Looking at the video's that Toby3 has posted, I simply cannot wait for the full 26.2

07/03/2013 at 15:23
I unexpectedly have 2 nights booked (12th and 13th April) at the Pink Pavilion Bijou Guesthouse which I am no longer using. Would anyone be interested in purchasing these from me? It's fairly basic by the looks of things (and no breakfast provided), but close to sea front and very central. It's ??80/night. Please contact me if interested: ruthgibbins1983@hotmail.com
07/03/2013 at 18:48
Thanks Salisbury lad that's a great answer and ha ha glad its not just me getting hungry reading about food.

Thought of a thousand reasons not to run to tonight but you guys are rubbing off on me and I went anyway and ran an extra mile :0)

4 day weekend for me as its my birthday on Saturday - for some reason my colleagues thought I was strange for being excited that the two extra days mean 2 long runs and no treadmill :0)
07/03/2013 at 19:13
hi all. Thanks for earlier advice about compression socks and protein. I went for both things and used gels as well in my long slow 16 miles. Feel so much better this week than last week. I have a half on Saturday (am a week behind I know!) so hope it will go well!!
I have ordered extra pair of compression socks too
Another question:
How is the Brighton course for spectators- is there opportunity to be at the start, pick up the route part way and also be at the finish?! I will be out there a good 5 hours I reckon!!
07/03/2013 at 19:28

Hi Catherine

The course is fantastic for spectators - the first year I ran it, my husband was running London the week after so was on spectating duties for me, and he managed to see me 5x. Much easier to see people and get around than London.

Have you seen the course map which should give you a bit of an idea http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/course.php

I  would suggest going to Preston Park with you, then when you go into your start pen, they head to Old Steine where they'll get to see you twice in quite quick succession (mile 3 and mile 4.5). Then they have a bit of time while you head out east and I'd suggest they go to Grand Avenue (mile 14) as they will see you going into Hove and then coming out of Hove (mile 18). Then when you head west and out towards Shoreham power station, they've got plenty of time to get onto the seafront and see you on the home stretch

07/03/2013 at 20:39
Barbie - that's fantastic advice - thank you as well! Mind you my family are very experienced race spectators - they managed to see me 6 times at London last year! (I was going quite slowly, mind you!)

Still feeling quite tired today, but have planned 16 miles for tomorrow. Will take it really slow, but must get the miles in as I'll be missing 3 runs next week :O

Catherine - hope your half goes well on Saturday!
07/03/2013 at 20:50
Thanks barbie- that's brilliant info! Not really looked at all the information yet- just allowed myself to skip fwd a few weeks to the big day!! Pleased it looks so spectator friendly

Hope your run goes well tomorrow B&T
PSC    pirate
08/03/2013 at 05:39
Is it time to start training yet?

Morning peeps.... All still healthy, if a little weary?
08/03/2013 at 07:45

Morning all. Nice hilly 5 miles last night in the rain, top class. Looking forward to the Salisbury 10 mile race on Sunday. My aim is to run 1:33, made up of mile 1, 10 mins, miles 2-5, 9:30, and miles 6-10. 9:00. Who knows, depending on how I feel, I may put in a burst at the end, let’s see how many people I can overtake in the last 200 m !!

08/03/2013 at 08:04
Good luck SalisburyLad, especially with that sprint finish.

I'm staying in Salisbury Saturday night, to then go down to the new forest 20, any recommendations for good carb restaurants? Does Salisbury have good morrocan or Lebanese?
08/03/2013 at 08:55

PSC - are you still going to run the marathon?

Barbie - great advice, thanks.

08/03/2013 at 09:08
Anyone still looking for accommodation in Brighton?
08/03/2013 at 10:06
Well that has to be the soggiest 5 miles I have ever run! Was going for 10 today but torrential rain cut it short - still it's 5 miles more than I would normally have run and hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow :0)
08/03/2013 at 10:10
Glad training is going well for everyone! I'm having a slow and easy week after PBing at the Surrey Spitfire 20 miler last weekend. Did any of you run it?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.