Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

3,001 to 3,020 of 4,336 messages
21/03/2013 at 20:46
Kathy as everyone else has said use what you know on race day. I haven't been able to buy single cliff bar things so I'm just using my own food and then lucozade light with electrolyte tabs in it.

LRR email received today not in post.
21/03/2013 at 20:56

Jelleybaby, I made a special trip to a local bike shop to buy Clif shots - they have a website with a shop locator, or you can buy them online - if you can be bothered!

Having used them today, I see they're only available from about mile 15, so I might take some with me. I haven't been able to buy gatorade anywhere so am hoping it tastes like lucozade.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 20:58
21/03/2013 at 21:24
The Green Fairy wrote (see)

Swervin Mervin - I doubt if I'll do a long run of more than 16 miles in training now so don't you fret either.  And go easy on speedy runs. I went quicker for a change once about 6 weeks before a marathon and just tweeked something close to my knee but it was enough to make me have to pull out . A lesson learned the hard way.

In 4 weeks time we shall all be (fullfilled) MARATHONERS

Cheers GF!! Knee seems okay after my 'sprint'  Think I'm tempting fate now...I went out last night and did 13 miles and included probably the three biggest hills in Brighton!! Felt good afterwards though.....took me 2'12" so happy with that.

I'm kinda hoping to get two longer runs in before next weekend, hopefully an 18 and a 20. It worries me that if I only do a 16 before hand then the last 10 miles are in uncharted territory!

Really really getting excited about this now! I've got family coming down to support me so should be a good weekend!

Just ordered a new pair of shoes too as my exisiting ones seem to have lost a lot of 'bounce'.....any opinions on introducing increased BOINGINESS at this late stage?

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 21:27
PSC    pirate
21/03/2013 at 21:36

gatorade is saltier that lucozade... mind you both brands are disgusting IMHO.

Wiggle do Cliff products folks - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/nutrition/?ea=4294789592

21/03/2013 at 21:57

8065 Green

Last 20 mile run this weekend in Leicester with Snowmaiden and Toby3 before the taper.  It somehow seems more real now the number has come through. 

21/03/2013 at 21:59
Hi all. Hope you're all looking forward to the taper after this weekend! I know I am.

Had my race number today and it appears I'm in the red pen - predicted finish of 3.15-4hrs. Think I'll be v close to 4 hours, rather than 3.15!

Got my last 20 miler this weekend - thinking about the Llanelli 20 mile race, but the first 10k is uphill (a gradual climb, but still...). Anyone care to gee me up so I get my backside into gear?
21/03/2013 at 22:03

Jealous now! Where is mine?

Looking back thru my emails it looks like I've got to collect my running no. at the Brighton Marathon Exhibition the two days before the day.

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 22:07
21/03/2013 at 22:08
Race number? Check your email - mine came through this afternoon, but I'm guessing they'll send out emails in batches so it may come through in a day or so. If not - check your spam filter.
21/03/2013 at 22:15
Got mine too, 258 white
21/03/2013 at 22:21

Old mother mervin went to the inbox and the inbox was bare!

21/03/2013 at 22:32
Maybe to cut cost there is someone writing the emails one by one, if that is the case then will have worked harder than us on the 14th April
21/03/2013 at 22:37

I have been able to get some Clif gels and shotblocks at my local Sweatshop. To try out the Gatorade drinks, I had to buy some from my local leaisure centre's vending machine. They don't seem to be in the supermarkets around me.

21/03/2013 at 22:37
Mervin: the email just gives you your number and pen colour - you still have to collect all the stuff from the expo. Keep checking the emails!
21/03/2013 at 22:47

Phew....thanks. You've had me panicing checking thru my emails double/triple checking I am registered for the damn thing! lol

Checking my boy is registered for the 'mini mile' too.......fired off an email to the charity I'm running for too as I am certain they were gonna provide me with a vest/t-shirt before the race.

New trainers (same as my old ones).....okay at this stage?

22/03/2013 at 03:39

we've tried the Gatorade it not bad a lot better the power aid but still prefer the lucozade 15 for me today or it should be burt may well cut it down to 13 will have to see

Tillstar yur more than welcome

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 03:40
22/03/2013 at 06:51
Mervin, sharing the shoe dilemma. Bought Kayano 19s, which will replace my 18s. I'd run 650 miles in my oldies, so know I need to run the newies in during taper, just nervous about change. Still, with 23 days to go, should be OK.

Toby3, agree, would rather lucozade than Gatorade. Although its not bad. Thanks for mentioning, I should try and use it at Sundays Cranleigh 21.

With Easter etc next week, it's only actually 13 working days left.....
22/03/2013 at 11:49

ahhh 22 miler tonight, my last long run before the marathon!

hope that will keep me going throughout as i'm aiming for 10min miles whole way so i can get an idea of what time i'll be aiming for on the day.

weather looks same as always windy and raining. if the sun comes out for the day i don't think i'll know what to do!!!

22/03/2013 at 13:14

Good luck everyone with your runs this weekend, especially with the cold weather thats in store. I have the joys of a 50km run this Sunday as per my training schedule so it could be a long cold Sunday morning for me.

I got my email and I am in the red start pen. I agree with previous postings that this does seem like a very broad group of various abilities to be in one pen. I wonder what the thinking is behind this?

22/03/2013 at 13:26

11m MLR completed.  I was running easy and nearly forgot to turn around at halfway.  When I turned around I realised why.....   the wind made the remaining miles feel like running through treacle!  I enjoyed it, though, and ran a little faster than planned in spite of the wind.  Perhaps it might have taken a bit more out of me in advance of Sunday's 20m race.

The snow hasn't arrived here so far.....

22/03/2013 at 13:38

22 miles for me this weekend too. Best plan my route.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.