Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

3,081 to 3,100 of 4,397 messages
24/03/2013 at 08:08

Hi Dudey. Sitting here just getting mentally prepared for 22 miles ... 52 minutes to go 

24/03/2013 at 08:59
Good luck Sailsbury Lad
24/03/2013 at 09:03

Tillstar - As it is my first marathn my original aim was just to do it under 5 hours. In most of my long runs I had been averaging 10 minute miles so that was quite a bit slower than usual, bit I guess that is inevitable as the miles pile up and if I carried on at that pace for the real thing I would be more than happy!

Well done with all the running by everyone and good luck to those doing their final long runs today

24/03/2013 at 11:53

7 miles easy pace done. So glad I've already done my LSR this week as it was biting cold and windy - lucky for us that there's no snow here at least.

Enjoy the end of this last heavy week before taper starts!

24/03/2013 at 12:57
22 done yay. Was planning 25 but couldn't be bothered 77 for the week.
Any way it's time to get some of my life back!!!!
Let the madness begin.
Hope everyone's long run/races go as planned.
24/03/2013 at 13:12

LOL Mark.  You couldn't be bothered, so you only ran 22m.  Priceless.

This morning I got myself out the door with the promise to myself that I could cut the run short and finish off on the treadmill (e.g. run 12m outdoors and 8m on the treadmill). I thought that would make it easier on the knees.

The first mile was like an ice rink, before deeper snow along the trail made footing more secure. I was surprised how clear some of the country roads were once I got around five or six miles out of town, so I decided to carry on while the going was relatively good. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't as hard as I had been expecting.  In the end I ran all 20 miles outdoors. 

The final few miles, and in particular mile nineteen, rank among the toughest of any of my training runs! The cold headwind added to the challenge coming up the incline. 

52m banked this week, and now it's TAPER time!!!! 

24/03/2013 at 14:53
Impressive Mark, 77 miles!

So my last long run complete, they let me run the Cranleigh 21 with a new number, panic over. 21miles in 3hours. Being -1 temperature certainly keeps you moving. Great run.

Re-fuelling on chicken & sweet potato mash, look forward to reading up on here later.
24/03/2013 at 14:56
Hi Dudey and all the others who have been adding to the numbers on this thread recently. I think the BM numbers being released has given the posts a bit of a boost!

No long run for me this weekend as I had Hastings Half this morning but I'm planning on a 22 miler Good Friday so opting for a 2 week taper.

The run this morning has given me a bit of confidence but I'm sure the taper madness will still bring in the doubts!

Well done to all those beginning their taper. All the hard work's been done.
24/03/2013 at 14:59
well done guys some awesome runs being banked today. :0)
24/03/2013 at 15:27
Should be doing a 20 mile plus run today but now have flu, can't believe my bad luck!
24/03/2013 at 15:34

Yay....I've finally managed a 'long run'....went out this morning and managed just over 20 miles!

20.25 miles (32.6km) in 3 hours 31 minutes. I know it's slow, but I'm still over the moon to have managed it. Ran over the South Downs at the start too! Also spent time dodging cars as I was running into oncoming traffice on country roads.

I think I still need another long one in the bag before tapering as apart from this all I've managed is two 15's and two 13's as long runs.

24/03/2013 at 15:57
Bad luck non stick hope you are feeling better soon.
Swerving Mervin fantastic run! You must be delighted after all the injury problems etc, well done indeed! Hope you did the ice bath to follow?????
24/03/2013 at 16:09
Hi Jelleybaby. Bit of a guilty admission....I had a nice warm soak to be honest. I really can never see myself in an ice bath.
Yeh....well chuffed aftet the knee/ITB probs. I think I owe my physio a pint!!
24/03/2013 at 16:13
Thanks Jelleybaby, hopefully just a short blip and can do the run on Monday instead, I've no had a good run up to this, really need to get 2 big runs in to help the confidence but I'm sure it will be ok
24/03/2013 at 16:23

Great runs guys.

I was delighted to do just over 21.5 miles, in 3 hrs 56 mins.  I was really worried at the start my calves/shins would give me a problem, in the end they didn't hurt one jot !! My knees were very sore towards the end, and they are very stiff now, but nothing that will be better in 2-3 days I think. One hiccup was that my Garmin ran out of power half way round, so I was guessing a bit on distance/time, but that is only a minor point.

Roll on 3 weeks time !!

24/03/2013 at 16:36
Yay! Well done swervin mervin and Salisbury lad for the great runs after struggling with injuries. Much love for everyone on this forum you are all amazing
24/03/2013 at 17:40

Evening all. Some good running going on! Congrats on your first 20 miler Mervin!

To those of you sweating on injuries, missing runs, feeling you're running slow: don't panic! Nobody says a marathon is supposed to be easy! Enjoy the taper, look after your legs and feet, watch what you eat, and think positive!

Sounds like some of you have got the snow in a big way. Nothing here in South Wales, fortunately, but it's blinking cold.

I ran the Llanelli 20 miler today. First 6 miles were uphill. I say hill, more of a constant, dragging, grinding incline that knocks the stuffing out of your calves! Then it levels out for four miles to the turn around point. So there's another four miles (mostly) flat, then six downhill to jar the knees. Anyway, I finished in 2:50:38, which is about 15 mins faster than I've ever run 20 miles. Felt like there was a little more in the tank, too, which is a good sign for Brighton.

Also, chuffed to discover the race organisers and arranged it so you could swap your race bib for a crepe at the end of the race. Very welcome!

24/03/2013 at 18:31
Well done everyone on your runs this weekend or week for those who were clever enough to do there long run at beg of week!!!!
Amazing running in these poor conditions.
I did 20miles early this morning in just over 3hrs. Was meant to be doing races which got cancelled so went out on my own. Found last 2 miles very hard due to not drinking enough during run. Such a silly mistake for someone who has been running for many yrs.
Really looking forward to next few weeks. I use these to improve sped work and work on MP instead of those very long runs.
Gym tomorrow for stretches and light weights. Tuesday spin class. Thursday mid tempo 7/8mile run followed by a 13mile run on Sunday with middle section at MP.
Good luck everyone this week
24/03/2013 at 18:33
Non stick. I ran my pb at Abingdon after 2weeks of flu. Didn't do one run in the last two weeks of taper and felt fantastic on the day. Not only a pb but the most comfortable marathon I've ever run. So don't despair.

I can feel the joy amongst us now it's officially taper time!!!
24/03/2013 at 18:45
Thanks MarkD, my problem is that I had a calf tear and was out for 6 weeks so was hoping to catch up in the last few weeks but thanks for the encouragement, also doing the Abingdon marathon, hope my build up is better for that one
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.