Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

3,221 to 3,240 of 4,336 messages
27/03/2013 at 18:37
Out of curiosity, what Garmin device do you guys use? I've been using Strava on my phone for ages but as it's my birthday this weekend, an upgrade might be on the cards!

Being new to this running malarkey, I've been happy just keeping going however being aware of pace looks like an interesting aspect I'd not really considered.
27/03/2013 at 18:47
I use a garmin forerunner 110 its one of the cheaper models they do but it's good enough for me tells me the mileage and pace and that's enough for me. I used to use my phone but it kept jumping all over the place and told me I had run 46 miles in 32 minutes! Garmin is much more accurate and doesn't have problems with the satellite signal. Happy birthday for the weekend
27/03/2013 at 18:47

15 minutes early for a pacer to come in is extreme but if you are running next to them then you can expect to come in at least 5 minutes earlier as they cross the line to allow most of those following them to come in under their target time.

27/03/2013 at 18:49
Garmin 610. Had a 405 which was just grief when it rained and a Nike + which lost a load of my runs and locked up so i swapped it for my 610 and its bloody brilliant. Absolutely bullet proof. I must say tho that I don't use it to its full potential.
27/03/2013 at 19:18
Dips wrote (see)

I did MK half in 2012 and the weather then was awful, does the sun ever shine there?

No!

I did the MK half, the MK Marathon and most recently the MK 18m training run where it was once again rain/sleet/wind   

27/03/2013 at 19:25

DF3 - that's exactly why I went from a 305 to a 310XT.

Curly/Jelleybaby - my training plan has specific slots in the taper allocated to obsessing about race day weather.  Others are dedicated to nutrition, hydration, clothing choice, worrying whether I've done enough, worrying whether I have done too little, avoiding illness, avoiding injury, avoiding the trots, sleeping ......

I have a packed program for my taper.

27/03/2013 at 19:34
Tenjiso- your training plan seems very similar to mine!!!! At the moment I'm worrying about how to get beet root hummus on a plane without them thinking its a bomb! Don't think I'll manage that one......or peanut butter had that confiscated before!

Swervin Mervin I have a Garmin forerunner 305 had it for nearly two years and use Garmin connect as well. Works great for me as I never run with my phone which is the most basic sort available that can actually be called a mobile! Worth investigating on what you want it for and what you want to get out of it re stats etc.
27/03/2013 at 19:59
I've a garmin 610. Brilliant in many ways.

Tenjiso, I love your taper schedule. Clever way of accepting the inevitable. I'm drawing up my taper plan now, good to accept it and plan for it!
27/03/2013 at 20:21
Evening folks.

Re pace, I ran Llanelli half in 1:49, and did a 20 male race on Sunday in 2:51. Realistically, I'm aiming for sub 4, but optimistically I'm hoping for under 3.55. I won't be following a pacer, but will be trusting to my Garmin Forerunner 405CX (only ever had a problem in the rain with it twice - and in torrential rain at that). Fingers crossed for a dry day on 14th.

I've had a couple of runs this week, but my legs feel soooo tired so I'll probably give tomorrow's five miler a miss.
27/03/2013 at 20:40

5 mile speed run on treadmill today in just over an hour.  Taper kicks in this week with longest run only 9 miles (never thought I would be saying ONLY 9 miles - as longest distance I had done prior to signing up for Brighton Marathon at last year's expo was 10K).

Sounds like I am not the only one beginning to worry about everything to do with the race now it is so close.  Have clothes planned for all weathers, but keep waking up in the night having had a weird dream about race day only to not remember what it was about in the morning.

At least I wont need to worry about pacers, as none of them will be going as slow as me!

27/03/2013 at 20:47
Don't worry we are all behind you. C'mon Alison!!
27/03/2013 at 21:59
Poohbear- the sense of achievement and pride that you will feel when you cross the line will far outweigh any thoughts about the time! The journey travelled is enormous, not just 26.2 miles. Only 9 miles I know what you mean, I'm only doing 13 on Saturday never thought I'd say that for a HM distance!
27/03/2013 at 22:33

Don't worry Poohbear, you'll be fine, it's only 26.2 miles. I'm doing the Halstead marathon in just under 7 weeks time and I haven't even started training yet, thought about going for 5 miles on monday. That will give me 3 weeks to get up to 20 miles and then taper, easy 

28/03/2013 at 06:13

morning all

14 miles for me today thanks for the advice think i stick to the 4hr and see how i feel at mile 20

28/03/2013 at 06:43
Crikes, the chap building from 5-20miles in three week good luck. Curious what your furthest distance is to date?
28/03/2013 at 08:10

Ran last night at a decent pace but with sore calves (from Sundays snow run), pulled up in agony at 5 miles as right calf felt like it had torn.

Oh poo!!!

Edited: 28/03/2013 at 08:10
28/03/2013 at 08:37

Oh no SDRR Gaz!! hope your calf is ok

28/03/2013 at 08:40

Gaz,

Sorry to hear that, hope you can clear that up v soon.

I had a calf twinge a while back and rested for 3 days, ice packed until on the brink of frostbite, then straight on with a heatpack. Compression tape 24hrs a day also.

This stuff is fantastic;

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Sports-Strapping-2-5m-x-6cm_1125291/

Truth is people, there is nothing we can do now to improve our fitness/times. Gentle pace to keep ticking over is ok and aerobic capacity (i.e fitness) is not lost in 3 weeks of tapering, apparently.

Take it easy...

28/03/2013 at 08:42

Thanks guys. It'll be the spinning bike for me for a few days now before I try it out again.

28/03/2013 at 08:44
So many conflicting reports regarding training during taper.
Lots of MP miles, maintain intensity,easy runs all the way or a mixture???
Each to there own. Think I'll just Wing it depending on how I feel???? I think???

Gaz bummer!!! Hope it's not too bad!
Edited: 28/03/2013 at 08:45
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.