Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

3,261 to 3,280 of 4,397 messages
28/03/2013 at 08:44
So many conflicting reports regarding training during taper.
Lots of MP miles, maintain intensity,easy runs all the way or a mixture???
Each to there own. Think I'll just Wing it depending on how I feel???? I think???

Gaz bummer!!! Hope it's not too bad!
Edited: 28/03/2013 at 08:45
28/03/2013 at 08:51
Gaz might be wiser to rest for a while. Not much to gain on bike but a lot to lose if it aggrevates the calf IMO.
28/03/2013 at 09:13

MarkD

Agreed a LOT of conflicting info on tapering, suppose each to their own methods to decide.

I read this, with 70 sub 3 hrs marathons I am inclinded to listen to the guy...

http://www.ironmate.co.uk/marathon-taper

28/03/2013 at 09:39
Neil thanks. That's great. That's sounds like a good way I think I'll adopt this method as I don't have a plan
28/03/2013 at 09:43

Here's a couple of quotes from P&D regarding the taper:

"The scientific evidence indicates that the key to effective tapering is to substantially reduce mileage while maintaining the intensity of training.......

......Three weeks before a marathon is arguably the most important time for a successful taper. This is the week that many marathoners do too much because the marathon still seems a long way off. If a marathoner works too hard during this week, however, they may find themselves feeling flat with 2 weeks to go and struggling to rest up as quickly as possible for the race. It’s much better physiologically and psychologically to allow the body to start to freshen up during this week. This allows for a much more relaxed state of mind, feeling that marathon preparation is on track rather than stressing that all efforts are going to be wasted."

28/03/2013 at 10:24
Gaz - my hubby has had your problem a couple of times. He saw a pysio and he had to do calf stretches and the step drop ones as well. He cycles to work every day and his calves were fine.

My hubby is training for VLM and last Thursday pulled his hamstring, so his now out of his marathon. He did a test run yesterday and only managed a mile

Take care x
28/03/2013 at 10:46

Oh no, sorry to hear that. I bet he's gutted.

I've had calf problems for some time. They're always sore despite stretching them. They definitely worsen if I wear my trail or lightweight trainers because they both have low heels.

But, my calf is dead as a dodo today, its numb.

I shall take Marks advice and stay clear of the bike. With a marathon so close it is natural to think you can still improve in the last few weeks. The reality is you either end up injured or strolling onto the start line already tired.

28/03/2013 at 11:13

Just spoken to a mate whos a GB Triathlete and hes cursed me for running in the weekends deep snow.

And there was me thinking it was a good workout!!!

28/03/2013 at 12:24

Taper - if you've been running high intensity work (i.e. anything above easy pace) then you should retain it but reduce the mileage.

As an example, last week I did:
Mon 3.5m easy
Tues 8.3m including 10 x 2 mins @ 10k pace off 60 secs recovery
Weds 12.4m easy
Thurs - off
Fri 21m easy
Sat 3m slow
Sun 14m with 10m at MP
Total circa 63 miles which has been pretty normal for my campaign

This week:
Mon 3.5m easy
Tues 11m with 6 x 5 mins @ 10k pace off 60 secs
Weds - off
Thurs 7m easy with strides
Fri 14m with 10 @ MP
Sat off
Sunday 12.4 easy
Total circa 48

So roughly a 25% reduction in mileage, but no reduction in intensity. I expect next week to be around 35-40 miles with one session and one 3m road race. Race week I will do a few miles at MP I guess but no session. The idea is to get to the start line itching to run hard but feeling really fresh (which you get from the reduction in mileage).

28/03/2013 at 13:16

Oh gosh Tracey G thats awful news about hubby.  Any chance of a miraculous recovery?

I'm hoping for better weather this weekend for my last LSR as had to do 3 hours on the treadmill last sunday.  However tv was interesting and it really wasn't that bad but want to get outside and do more than my shorter runs.

Green Fairy (7733) is in Green Coral .

Any sign of the list fairy?

28/03/2013 at 13:59
GCE (8357 Red) wrote (see)
Crikes, the chap building from 5-20miles in three week good luck. Curious what your furthest distance is to date?

I did a 66 mile run in 2009? Done a couple or three marathons since then. Last run was the Rome marathon.

28/03/2013 at 15:23

Hi everyone.

So we basically need to reduce the mileage but keep the same intensity in the runs you do complete? i normally do 2 5 mile runs in the week and a long run on a sat and a 3.5 miler on a sunday morning. This week I did 4 miles yesterday and 4 miles at lunch today and am planning a 12 miler on saturday and 3.5 on sunday. Does that sound ok?

I am getting excited/nervous now! x

28/03/2013 at 15:51
Gaz & Green Fairy - hope will try another run next week, but will probably defer. His really disappointed after all the long run through this horrible winter. He has London to Brighton bike ride and Ride London 100 to look forward too.
28/03/2013 at 15:57

Well I can understand his dissapoint, as its 50/50 for me now.

I'd just gotten over the flu too and was starting to feel good again.

Compared to last year my mileage has been awful due to the weather/illness.

Edited: 28/03/2013 at 16:08
28/03/2013 at 16:25
Gaz - I do know how you feel as I pulled my hamstring 6 days before Beachy. I did Beachy but walked all the hills. It's not the same as Beachy is not a pb course. This was hubby's first road marathon and he was on course for a sub 4hr marathon.
28/03/2013 at 16:29

Tell him theres always next year. If you're not fit enough to run then its not going to be enjoyable.

If I can do it this year, and my goal is out the window, then at least I'll relax and enjoy it.

28/03/2013 at 16:36
I got injured just before Abingdon last year and had to pull out. Done my head in!!!! When I was fit again I concentrated on slowly increasing my mileage and long runs so when I started training for Brighton I hit the ground running. ( forgive pun)
If you do have to pull out try and put a positive spin on it. The next one will be along before you know it. Tracy g and gaz what about MK MARATHON still places and its not til end of may????
28/03/2013 at 16:58

Afternoon all

well 14 miles done that leave just 1more LSR and that’s only 10 miles as for the next couple of weeks just 3x5miles one 6 and a 4 then the big one can't believe I'm coming to the end of yet another 18 weeks of training for Brighton it doesn’t seem 5 minutes ago we were just starting and i was only ever going to run one marathon

fingers cross it been my best ever year training wise the last couple of time I’ve lost a week due to illness or had to miss the odd run here and there this time i haven’t missed one run

28/03/2013 at 17:12
Toby I remember the first one well. Lovely weather. Awesome atmosphere. What a great day that was
28/03/2013 at 17:17

Mark have to agree there i love Brighton and have enjoyed it every year but there was something kind of special about that first year

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.