Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

3,301 to 3,320 of 4,336 messages
30/03/2013 at 19:35
Tillstar - I have to agree with Tenjiso race pace seems too fast with just two weeks to go? I did 13 miles today at easy pace and enjoyed myself, despite the freezing weather! Be confident in your ability to get round.

Tenjiso - fab time for your run, enjoy the rest,

Still not managed to wear the charity t shirt far too cold still. Wore my long sleeve thermal and a lightweight top and was still cold when the wind was in my face.

Excellent running from everyone, oh yes my Garmin strap doesn't last long before it needs replacing does anyone else find this? I need to take a spare Velcro one with me to Brighton just in case.......yikes only 2 weeks to go and we're on the plane!!!!!!!
30/03/2013 at 19:39
Thanks guys, I will listen to your advice and go for a shorter and slower run. Thanks
31/03/2013 at 12:31
12 miles d&d. Tough going. I thought it was the race on Friday. But then realised it was carrying my 3 yr old daughter around legoland yesterday!!!!!! An 8@mp a 7 and a couple of 5,s and that's me done.
31/03/2013 at 12:53
Last 17 miler done. All seemed very easy at first, achy from about 10 but hoping that is general fatigue and I will be rested in 2 weeks. All long runs done at around 10:20 without being too knackering so hoping I can do around 10:00 miles on the day. Not sure I can keep that pace all the way! But that would also be in line with my HM times.

Tried malt loaf on the run for the first time. A little hard to eat and potentially too fibrous? I like the idea of it though so will try again on my 10 miler next week. I will just stick to my normal Haribo/bars if I'm not 100% happy!

Still a bit windy here but best weather I've had for a long run this year. Made me realise how much easier it will be if weather isn't a factor. We must all be better runners for it!
31/03/2013 at 12:55
Well done MarkD. I also did quite a bit of walking around the zoo yesterday! Good cross-training!
31/03/2013 at 12:59

Mark - Legoland will tire you out like no LSR ever can! 

16m LSR this morning.  Still feeling the effects of yesterday's training and racing, but I managed to stick to my normal pacing schedule.  43m for the week, and my highest ever monthly total of 216m.

31/03/2013 at 14:31
Good weeks training finished off by a 13.5 mile run today. In the middle of the run did a few miles at near MP just to keep reminding myself of the pace. Only a few more road runs and gym sessions left before the big day!!!! Restaurants all booked for fri and sat night, visiting running shop on Fri to gets gels/drinks. More organised than I usually am!!!!
Well done on everyone getting this far, nice last Two weeks training ahead.
31/03/2013 at 16:23

Well done everyone good training!

6 miles MP today - felt good but very windy and cold but quite likely to be like this in Brighton so I suppose it's good training. Longest run from now on is 6 miles in differing formats eg neg splits/tempo etc - quite odd not to be seeing the odd 20 miler on the plan!

Happy Easter as well - to those of you who eat choccie - enjoy!!  With all the miles you've done you needn't feel guilty either!

31/03/2013 at 21:49
Today was my first reduced-mileage run of the taper. A LSR of just 11.5 miles. Hilly, but sunny - good grief! Sunshine! What a joy!

Anyway......back to the 11.5 miles......first tapered run and I'm already wondering......with all that hard training done, and all those miles in the bag, and reaching peak fitness 'n all.........doesn't just one marathon seem like a bit of a waste?

Am I mad? Am I alone in these thoughts?
31/03/2013 at 22:02
No picklelily you're not the only one! I' m already thinking about what to do next, it seems such a waste of such a lot of training to do one race! We have a HM over here in June, but I'd like to look at perhaps another marathon later in the year, but trying to find one that doesn't involve a charity place because I'm too late for the ballot isn't always easy. Berlin is already full.....I could always do the one here in October I suppose but it's nice to go away! May have to look to England or France.....
31/03/2013 at 22:57
Piclelily, not mad at all. It's what they call addiction!

Despite having another marathon booked in August and a 31mile ultra ultra in October, I panicked myself into thinking I needed more. I'm running the Bewl marathon on the 4th May now.

Panic has created panic, and I'm now thinking odd numbers aren't good, should I find another marathon to run this year?

So it's officially, less than 2 weeks to go everybody.....
31/03/2013 at 23:04
Last few years I've done 2 spring marathons, either Brighton & London or Brighton & Halstead. Two a week apart was scary but possible
31/03/2013 at 23:56

Well I'm glad this week is over. After feeling like I hadn't done enough longer runs I squeezed another 15 miles in last night. Bringing me up to 50 miles for the week.

Gonna ease up a bit now.

Birthday boy got a Garmin Forerunner 305 today...looking forward to having a play with it.

Still waiting for my number too....please tell me I'm not alone? Had an email back from them saying they can't confirm however they are going to resend emails...otherwise it's a case of turning up at the exhibition beforehand with a printout of my confirmation from when I booked it......not very professional imo.

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 00:09
01/04/2013 at 07:34
Happy Birthday Swervin Mervin. Great pressie getting a garmin 305. Make sure you play & test it before the big day.

I'm trying to be rational today, and confirm in my head my marathon pacing. It's funny to think with the VLM the following weekend to Brighton, all those folk running LSRs over the weekend. I'm looking forward to playing spectator, the start line is outside my front door.
01/04/2013 at 07:43
I done brighton, London and Mk three Sundays in a row last year. Word of warning it took me months to fully get over the effects of it. It was great fun tho

11 degrees, sunny and 5mph wind on race day according to accuweather. If only we could rely on that!!!!!
Happy birthday swervin enjoy your Garmin. What would people buy us if we didn't run????
01/04/2013 at 08:45
MarkD - so true a question. I often receive massage vouchers for Christmas now, which are always great for spring marathons.
01/04/2013 at 08:55
Wowzers mark D that's impressive! Happy Birthday Swervin Mervin! Happy tapering and planning guys
01/04/2013 at 10:14
Swervin Mervin - Happy Birthday! Enjoy the 305! I also had the email telling me they'd resend the emails with my number and pen on, and to complicate matters I'd changed email addresses as well in the meantime. I finally got the email late last week! I think it's a pretty poor do if they can't look your number and pen up individually for you. If you can download the Brighton Marathon app you should be able to see your details on there, (Name and number at least) which would at least confirm that you are actually entered!

Next marathon already? You guys really are hitting taper madness! Talking about madness, tell me is to late to get a new pair of shoes for Brighton??? Have been waiting for sweatshop to get my size back in stock, and waiting and waiting. Took my eye of the back and was away last week, now back, they have them in stock online, but should I get them note for after the marathon? Or get then and wear them on the short runs we have left to break them in? Out just stick to my old and trusty shoes which I now have to wear players on my held with as I've worn holes in the padding and they now rub my heels?

Reading this back it sounds like I've been very stupid about my shoes so you don't need to tell me that, but sometimes family, life (and holidays!) Just have to come first
01/04/2013 at 10:26
Black&Tabby, I've done similar. Was upto 700 miles on old shoes, bought the new ones a few weeks back, but have put off wearing them. Now panicked its too near. Plan on wearing them on the remaining 4/5 taper runs in next 10 days and making final decision the day before race. I often throw away trainers after a marathon, feels very symbolic.
01/04/2013 at 10:49
Black & Tabby....thanks a million! I've got the app and found myself!! Well I assume it's me, could be someone with the same name I guess.

Cheers for the Birthday sentiments....turned 42 and probably in the best shape I've been in for twenty years. This time last year. i was 2.5 stone heavier and would've struggled to run for a bus.

Best bit of the birthday.......chocolate cake!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.