Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

3,361 to 3,380 of 4,336 messages
02/04/2013 at 15:41

Difficult decision if it is warmish ... keep on the running tights and risk being a bit warm, but keeping the knee high compression socks hidden away ... or go for the shorts and full compression sock look. What the heck, I have long ceased being a fashion icon ()...

02/04/2013 at 16:17
SL - go for comfort not look
02/04/2013 at 16:30

I think it's the one day we don't have to be self concious about what we are wearing as there will be 16,999 other fellow crazies in lycra and other comfy kit.  Around my estate, I don't feel so sure about the running tights without the baggies!

02/04/2013 at 16:43
I'm gonna buy some tights and cut them up to use as arm warmers. Then dispose of them when it gets warmer during the run. Also a cheap hat from primark again to dispose of. I think I can safely say I won't be at my most stylish
02/04/2013 at 16:52

Good call, I'm going to check out a cheap hat!  Was going with the bin liner look, never tried that but it seems popular at Half Marathons.

02/04/2013 at 16:59
Dying to bust out a decent run tonight, alas 6 measly miles is all I am rationed...
02/04/2013 at 17:24

Seven miles completed today with some strides for speed.  Tomorrow I've got some mile repeats.

Gaz - hopefully your calf will be fine on marathon day.  Perhaps a PB will still be on the cards, even if it isn't all you had hoped for.

MarkD - I'm wondering what you buy to use as tights?   Also, I think I came across your name in an older thread for Shakespeare Marathon 2009?  If I remember correctly, you also did MK last year - in which case we seem to be stalking each other   See you at the VLM next year, then  LOL.

02/04/2013 at 18:27
Sleaver - loved the cat ball story! Last year I injured, and my taper was more a turn off from running. Still managed a sub 4 PB. You are best to rest the foot than further aggrievate it. There's no real physical benefit from training at this stage.

Robert - try a plastic poncho from poundland, more to wrap around you than a black sack. Thank goodness I bought them for the start of Toronto marathon last year, it's the coldest & wettest I've ever been. Luckily had the poncho!
02/04/2013 at 18:54

Poundland waterproof for me too If its going tobe warm, I'll be rocking the knee high compression socks and tights look as well Trouble is, its been too cold to try it out up to now - maybe I'll try it underneath my running tights

Short, speedy 3 miles today, with son on cycle accompaniment. After no running last week (a week's skiing instead - good cross training I thought!) it felt good to be out in teh sun. Oh, and I managed to find an online shop selling my favourite (and now discontinued) trainers in my size - must be the last pair in the UK. Bought them, even though they cost more than they my last pair did (when they were the current model ) At least I now have a pair of trainers on the way that I know will fit and be comfortable and won't rub my heels raw!

02/04/2013 at 20:22
Tenjiso. Maybe I'm stalking you. I'd love to to VLM again but I'm at the mercy of the ballot
I loved the Shakespeare marathon but the second lap was tough. Didn't love MK!

Wife's popping into pound land for me tomorrow. What colours do they have?

8 miles tonight 3@mp. Legs are soooo heavy at the moment.
02/04/2013 at 20:31

Mark - That was a hot day in Stratford - hardly a cloud in the sky.  I'm dreading similar at Brighton, because I will soooo unprepared   And Milton keynes was a polar (pun intended!) opposite.  It's hard to imagine two so completely different days of weather on virtually the same date (different years, obviously).  Hopefully, Brighton weather will find the middle ground somewhere.

The top-of-the-range poundland waterproofs are blue   

02/04/2013 at 21:04
I also found a two pack of plastic ponchos on Amazon. They were ??1.89, and you get a choice of colours.

Ohh, I so love the depth of conversation that taper drives. Lol!!

I think it was this time last year that Toby3 started a conversation with people's personal mantras, those you'll be madly chanting beyond mile 24...
02/04/2013 at 21:47
In depth conversation continues........I have one pink and one yellow pound world poncho! Probably wear capris with compression socks then charity t shirt, but still not worn it as it's freezing! I'll pluck up courage and wear it on Friday on my 10 k run. And I'm having my hair done next week!!!!!
Quite odd not running a lot isn't- not done a proper taper before now, just stopped running in the past and hoped for the best!

Glad to be back at work it stops me from worrying too much, though next week I'm doing a cake sale as a fundraising event!
Hope everyone's niggles clear up, keep positive!
02/04/2013 at 21:48
Mark - I'm also wondering what kind of tights you use as arm warmers - just ordinary tights? And how much warmth do they provide?

Haven't sorted out what top I'm going to wear yet - not have I got any iron on letters for my name. I'll add it to the list
02/04/2013 at 21:53

Is very annoying - after 9 days off to help my right knee recover (back of my right knee), I went for a gentle 3 mile run tonight, and within a minute the outside of my right knee was hurting, and fairly soon afterwards, the outside of my left knee started hurting as well. It didn't stop me running, but was far from ideal.

I saw reference to KT tape, does anyone advise the use of that this close to the race, I haven't tried it before ? I am just looking for anything that helps, as it seems unlikely that my knees are going to be 100% better before the race.

02/04/2013 at 21:59
Well I'm not gonna cut up a good pair of fish nets !!!!!
Just a thick pair of wooly type tights. You know sort of like leg warmer material.

I'm kind of wishing I didn't go down this road. Something's are best kept to yourself
03/04/2013 at 01:48

Salisbury Lad.....I had what sounds like the same thing that you're suffering from for about two months recently. I kinda self diagnosed it as my ITB and nothing helped me until I saw a physio who told me that the source of the pain in my knee ultimately lay with tight muscles elsewhere.

I dropped my mileage for a fortnight and rolled the outside of my thighs and most importantly....did the following on the roller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Qw4aAFdbc

and the difference was AMAZING. Seriously......it may sound far fetched but I had a nagging pain for two months that simply wouldn't go....it went within a fortnight doing that rolling and hasn't returned.

Cheers for the birthday messages all of you. On my birthday last year I hadn't even considered running at all and was oblivious of the madness that would befall me! Honestly though, I have enjoyed this long slog to the marathon more than you would ever think possible.

Managed a 14 miler on Saturday and a short 4 miler on Monday......the Garmin's still in the box though. It looks kinda complicated!

03/04/2013 at 05:42

Morning all

Was supposed to do 5 yesterday but it was such i nice day took the opportunity to get the 6miler out of the way which leave s me just 5's and a 4

GCEdon't remember that but if i was going to chant a manta it would be pain is temporary but pride is for every but it blood well hurts at the time

or chocolate is the answer i don’t give a dam a but the question

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 05:43
03/04/2013 at 07:19
Must have been somebody else Toby3? I remembered the conversation a few weeks back when a chap running the Brighton half kept chanting, whilst running the final 2 miles "follow the line, follow the line..."
03/04/2013 at 08:06

I think I need a miracle now .

I did a little jog to the shop last night, managed about 50 metres before the pain was too much.

I'm pretty sure i've torn my calf now. I've got it all strapped up now, banging nurofen down my neck like they're sweets.

So pi**ed off with myself for going out for that short run last week. I didn't need to do it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.