Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

3,421 to 3,440 of 4,336 messages
04/04/2013 at 11:01

'Taperitus' .... self doubt, injury niggles, depression etc etc etc

Marathon Preperation would not be complete without it

04/04/2013 at 13:31

bit of a long shot here........ but does anyone have a spare place for the Brighton Marathon?

Thx

04/04/2013 at 14:02
Mark - wow! I'm off to get me some beetroot then!
Short little 3 miles in my brand new trainers this morning - they feel very comfy but hopefully a few more runs in them and they'll be fine for the big day.

Toby - reminded me I also have to do a charity shop swoop!
04/04/2013 at 14:27

I think the simple answer is, if we run, we wont be doing much running in May!

...which isn't a huge problem for me as I have a dissertation to write! Went to the chiro today and she can't work out what the $%^& is wrong with me. Hasn't said not to run... My main sticking point is that this happened before my autumn marathon (couldn't even walk the day before etc) and got round no problems at all. I was out for about 6 weeks afterwards but... 

When are you going to decide, Gaz? Did you have a time you were going for originally?

04/04/2013 at 14:35

I will make a decision on Tuesday unless told that I can't on Saturday by the physio. I'm 99.9% sure it won't recover in time.

I have a calf wrap on today and I can walk without too much pain, but anyting more and it kills. It's started to feel as though its moving up towards the back of my knee now too.

I was aiming to go sub 3:30.

04/04/2013 at 14:39

I'm also finding it hard not to do little jogs in the corridor at work just to see how it feels.

I'm resting it as much as I can, icing and elevating but as each day passes I can't help but check to see how its doing.

I'm probably sending it backwards but would rather know now than two miles into the race and £400 in my pocket lighter.

Suggestions for a Summer and Autumn marathon please.

04/04/2013 at 14:41

I don't even know where my pain is. I am getting a 2nd chiropratic opinion tomorrow/Saturday so I guess they might tell me either way. 

I am exactly the same but even walking isn't hugely comfy.

Don't know if I can be bothered to walk the whole thing and just 'enjoy' it. That's not really why I run that far...!

04/04/2013 at 14:43

Autumn marathong: Chester. Really good little race with massive PB potential.

I am going to do Shrewsbury in June: 4 laps but I don't even care, I want 3:29:59 this year.

04/04/2013 at 15:16

if anyone does have a spare could you emaile me - thx again 

cafc1974@aol.com

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 15:16
04/04/2013 at 15:20

Well, I'll make a rubbish doctor. Just read Words post and relalised that I'm getting the ball and heel of my foot mixed up  It's actually my heel where I'm getting the pain.

Been rolling my foot on a ball and that seems to be helping. Also taking Ibuprofen to see if that helps as well.

04/04/2013 at 15:20
Apparently beer root increases endurance by some amazing amount.
04/04/2013 at 15:23
EricIsBananaMan wrote (see)

if anyone does have a spare could you emaile me - thx again 

cafc1974@aol.com

Unfortunately entries cannot be transferred.

04/04/2013 at 15:25
VieuxLilleBlonde wrote (see)

I don't even know where my pain is. I am getting a 2nd chiropratic opinion tomorrow/Saturday so I guess they might tell me either way. 

I am exactly the same but even walking isn't hugely comfy.

Don't know if I can be bothered to walk the whole thing and just 'enjoy' it. That's not really why I run that far...!

No, me neither. I run to keep fit, but I also run to better myself and I'm not walking.

If I can't do it then so be it. Its only a race and I'll run it next year.

I'm sure we have the same injury.

Chester is on my hit list.

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 15:28
04/04/2013 at 15:43

Just been to the charity shops to try and get some old jogging bottoms and a top for the start of the race .. goodness how things have changed since I was last in a charity shop ! You used to be able to buy some raggedy old clothes for 50p or £1, however all of the clothes were in almost pristine condition, with nothing less than £4 !!

Decided I must have something in the deep recesses of the wardrobe I can use instead ...

04/04/2013 at 15:45
where can you get beer root juice?
04/04/2013 at 16:07

Hi all.

Thought I'd jump into this thread after following for the past few weeks.

I'm running/jogging/walking/crawling/hitching a lift on a mate's bike around the Brighton marathon in 10 days time (gulp!).

It'll be my first marathon after running a number of halves and have no idea what to expect....apart from pain. Training has gone pretty well, disrupted by the odd bout of illness and injury but managed to knock out a couple of 19 milers as my two longest runs.

Looking forward to support through the taper madness that is slowly setting in.

PS. I'm off down Tesco tonight to stock up on Beetroot juice.....

04/04/2013 at 16:39

Taper-tastic 6 miles for me this morning, and I can't believe I am still running in snow! It's so cold and windy too, I'm really fed up with it now.

I don't think I'll need arm-warmers as I'll be wearing long-sleeves and a jacket at this rate...

04/04/2013 at 16:44

long range forcast 14c and partly sunny. perfect.

04/04/2013 at 16:49

That would be lovely, as long as there's no wind. Too far away to believe though...

04/04/2013 at 18:23
SalisburyLad, it's mad isn't it. I found the sale rail in sports direct is cheaper than a second hand shop. Given today's weather, I'm not even sure I'll be shedding any layers!!

Supposed to do 5 miles tonight, but can't face it...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.