Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

4,321 to 4,340 of 4,397 messages
16/04/2013 at 14:55
It probably is Barbie. The do tend to change it around slightly now and again
16/04/2013 at 14:58

I certainly don't feel GFA anyway!

16/04/2013 at 15:38

Barbie - I'm with you - I dont feel GFA at present - not walking down stairs anyway!!!

Not as bad as normal though, which is strange as i run this one quicker to qualify.

Problem i have is that i really wanted to do a sub 3hr marathon and that would be asking too much (if possible in the first place) doing 2 in one week - unless i did do the first one as a sub 3hr and then crawled round London! -

Yep cheers Barbie - I will do the same as you Brighton fast and London fun!

16/04/2013 at 16:08

Hi everyone have loved reading your stories. I turned 30 this year and have been a  good short distance runner for about 12 years. (18 min 5km and 37 min 10km) after years of saying I could do a marathon I finally did the Brighton on sunday. 4 hours and 5 mins with the last 4 miles being THE MOST painful and humbling experience of my life. I'm entered for next year as i'm convinced I can run a sub 330 ( my first 13 miles on sunday was 1hr 44mins). Anyway for the first time in years my legs ache as if i'd never ran before in my life but I also am filled with enormous pride. Thanks to all the volunteers, race organisers, supporters and fellow runners for a day i'll never forget. see you all next year. P.s I've entered the bournmouth marathon too so maybe I've caught the bug!

16/04/2013 at 16:12
I'm in 2014 too, that'll be 4 in a row. The sub 3:15 will be mine! Actually just occured to me a sub 3:10 would get me in London, never get in through the ballot. If I get in next year I think I'd do both.

According to RNIB website it's on 20th April so there'd be a 2-week gap next year?
Edited: 16/04/2013 at 16:12
16/04/2013 at 16:12

Daniel - thanks for the post. Really interesting. With your 10k time you should be looking at sub 3hr not sub 3:30.

I do 39 min 10k and 1:28 half and 3:13 marathon so you should be 2:55 marathon time (if trained for properly) - you have given me hope to get my 10k time down (although i dont do many 10k races).

Not sure 10k classes as a short distance in my book! Still long distance.

16/04/2013 at 16:14

Running guy - cheers a 2 week Gap would be good between London and Brighton! -will check this out.

16/04/2013 at 16:17

Yep - you are right Sun 6th April Brighton and Sun 20th April for London. Looks like it will be a busy April next year

16/04/2013 at 16:19

DJ8,

I am 36, and this was only my second Marathon, my previous best was 3:49 (London 2010)

My 10k and 5k are similar times to yours.

I initially though, I'll go for 3:15, then thought I might as well shoot for a GFA at 3:10, then though sod it, I'll go for sub 3.

On Sunday I somehow ran 2:58:58.

I am still in shock...

16/04/2013 at 16:22

Love that Neil - AMAZING achievment

I hope you are milking this one for months to come!

16/04/2013 at 16:26

A bit of well calculated self belief can go a long way, I know that for sure.

Aim high !

16/04/2013 at 16:28
Neil - Well done, superb time.

Paul - Cheers, looking at your times, you've just confirmed I should be able to go under 3:15 (38:45 10k, 1:27:47 half).
16/04/2013 at 16:32

Paul- I've really honed my 10km and 5kmn running over the last 18 months Last summer I was literally knocking off half a minute each week off my PB getting it down from 41 to 37 mins I have somewhat plateaued however will re focus with the british 10km coming up. I hope I haven't reached the peak of my powers at 10 km. My marathon training was a completely different experience. Back and knee problems effectively wrote off any training in February and I think I was then very tentative about overdoing it in march however I am determined to go quicker. Great achievement on your time I have a new found respect for any marathon FINISHER!

Neil- absolutely fantastic time I bet your full of pride and you should be, sub 3hours is an amazing achievement. I think now I've entered the bournmouth and Brighton next year i'll look at seriously getting my time down aiming to sustain my 10 km pace. perhaps I got too comfy running 5 and 10km. By the way has anyone ran the bournmouth?? I've been told the Brighton course was very beginner friendly?

16/04/2013 at 16:48

Neil - That is flipping awesome! There is a massive gap between 3:15 and sub 3. Will you do London and brighton or only London?

Daniel - 41 to 37 mins is great. How did you "hone" your 10k skills? (hills or intervals etc). your times at the marathon will tumble

I think i can get 37-38 min 10k (only really ever done 1 10k race) and a 1:25 half . and will shoot for sub 3hr. You guys have given me hope and inspiration.

16/04/2013 at 16:52

Neil well done you on the Sub 3hr great achievement

went to start a 2014  thread only to find i had been beaten to which saved me a job  here's the link to it

Brighton 2014

Edited: 16/04/2013 at 17:06
16/04/2013 at 16:57

Running Guy - You are quicker than me - so yes i think you should be aiming quicker than me for the marathon - 3:05 - 3:10

16/04/2013 at 17:06

Paul- Got my times down with 2 major changes. Firstly I gave up alcohol!  I know that might be met with a groan but I totally knocked booze on the head and started noticing major performance improvement. secondly I really started to believe in myself.

I didn't really change my training technique I've always used intervals and hills along with swimming and rowing as cross training once a week but I just intensified it. with my max intervals getting longer.

Also a really bad habit I picked up of my father. He was (and still is) a runner and when I was younger used to get me to run the first 2 km relatively slow which is what he did and then increase until I hit a race pace over the next km. Now I hit my race pace straight away and am an explosive finisher( I actually sprinted the last 200 metres of the marathon)!  

Paul i'm sure going by your marathon time a sub 38 minute 10km is achievable maybe look at other factors ie diet and lifestyle, these are two things I've really looked at over the last 18 months maybe because I was approaching 30. The results have been better than I ever imagined, and I take great pleasure in regularly caning my running partner who is 25!  

16/04/2013 at 17:21
I just love reading your amazing stories guys, thanks for sharing them. For me it has been a bit of a funny running experience. Started back in 2008, walk/run to gain some fitness post uni. Did first ten km in 1h05 ish.

Did my 1st marathon in 2009 in 4h33, one in the autumn at 3h50 then one the following year in 3h41.

Decided to try and concentrate on shorter stuff, got my 5k time down to 20min but really miss the long stuff. Trained for Gloucester this past jan which was cancelled but got my mileage up to 22 and kind of maintained it and now readying myself for Edinburgh in may. I just seem to feel fitter and more focused when marathon training.

Entered now for brighton next year and really looking forward to it!
16/04/2013 at 17:32

So addicted to posting on here I have to do it again!!

Had a good run this morning but only 3 miles legs fine though quads are a bit tender when foam rolling.

Neil fab time!! You must be delighted.

I'm not doing Brighton next year but i will do the local marathon over here in October and aim for my sub 4! Perhaps at home where it's quieter will suit me more - not used to running with so many people - only ever done the GSR for the past 2 years so not very experienced in how to keep focused.

I've loved this thread and got so much out of it, thanks to everyone who commented/contributed etc it's been wonderful!

well done to all of you PB's or not you're truly inspiring! 

16/04/2013 at 17:34

It has been great sharing the experience with you all.  I may enter the Brighton Marathon again in the future, but in the meantime I'll be trying out new venues.  Next year will be my first time at the VLM, so I still have much to look forward to.

Keep on running and improving 

4,321 to 4,340 of 4,397 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.