Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

4,341 to 4,360 of 4,397 messages
16/04/2013 at 17:41

Sorry for being away from this forum so so so so long!!! But I am back.

Did my first marathon in Brighton, and surprised myself - 03:53:40!!!! Could have done a lot faster but got stuck in the last wave and got slowed down by a lot of other first timers and donkeys, man with tiger on back etc etc. :P I didn't hit the wall, drank loads (which was good as the sun came out and the heat was on towards the end) and because of this, I have entered for next year as well!!!! Whoop Whoop! 

Whilst on the south coast, the day before Brighton, I did the 5km parkrun in Eastbourne as a warm up, I said I will do a steady run, but instead finished 5th out of 94 runners and got my second fastest time of the season, 00:20:27!!!! Opps, but still, great preps for the marathon.

The only disappointment I felt from Sunday was the bus organistations from Mill Road car park to the start, and when I arrived with 15 minutes to go, I needed the toilet but had to wait for ages and very little warm up. I allowed myself plenty of time for this, but still, the buses was the biggest let own. Think of plan B for next year. 

16/04/2013 at 18:27

The "full results" on the Brighton Marathon website are great if all you want to know is results of yourself and people you know etc.  However it's not great for more detailed analysis.  

Does anyone know if the usual data is to be supplied to power of 10, so they can add it to their website?  I wouldn't have thought it was a lot of work.

That said it was a great day, the nicer weather arriving just in time.  I thought the crowds were better than ever.

I've entered for next year.

16/04/2013 at 19:26

RunningGuy - my 10K & 1/2M this year were seconds short of 40 and 1:30 but have just done 3:12 - you can go sub 3:10 surely.

16/04/2013 at 19:46
chutneylocker - Yes I've been told I should be able to. Just struggle with legs so much in final 5. Need to work on strengthening before next year and then getting some fast miles in early on I reckon. Cheers, you've made up my mind to go for it, just got to wait a year now!
16/04/2013 at 19:59
Fast miles early on will only make the last 5 worse!! As close to even pace as possible will give you the best chance. 20 is halfway and if you're working hard before then, you've gone too fast
16/04/2013 at 20:06

Does anyone know if the marathon-photos.com site will have any video from the finish? I've only got photos on mine at the moment but I have had a video of the finish from another race I did that they covered.

Also, when are the copies of The Argus that we could pre-order likely to start arriving?

16/04/2013 at 20:06
Tillstar wrote (see)
Congrats on the PB lombster and fantastic time swervin mervin enjoy your beer :0)

Cheers Tillstar.

Picklelilly wrote (see)
Lombster - as predicted, I missed #themerge. How was it? Any sign of the red mob coming down Preston Drove when you got to the park? 

Not overly eventful. I was probably in the middle of the 'elites' and there must have been the same number of reds ahead of me at #themerge.
Was glad to get off to a good start from Withdeam Park but there was absoultely no atmosphere at that start. Really surreal for a marathon.
Neil Spicer (301 white) wrote (see)

DJ8,

On Sunday I somehow ran 2:58:58.

I am still in shock...

Great time Neil. I did pass you a few times on the out and back bits (obviously you were coming back as I was still going out!). I did shout out as I remembered your number (plus you had 'Neil' on your top which helped!).

Paul Went wrote (see)
Hey lombster, I followed you for first 10 miles (well miles 1-9)
You had lombster written on you back and a massive wig.
Well done you beat me by 6 mins!!! Damn

Cheers Paul. The wig did come off after 7/8 miles as was getting way too hot!

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
Ok lets make a list for Beachy

Fat Buddha
NLR
Barbie
Stubborn Dogged Mrs B
Tracy G?
Anymore?

Count me in. I was going to give it a miss this year but seems as my Mum has already entered I may as well too.

Extremely saddened by the passing of Sam and the events in Boston. Really put a downer on what should be such a positive event.

Edited: 16/04/2013 at 20:12
16/04/2013 at 20:09
Daniel, I have totally cut out alcohol and am almost a nutritional nazi! And agree those 2 make a big difference. Belief is probably the most important, thanks for the tips as you sound a very motivated guy.

Chutney locker - that is an impressive marathon time !!! Well done!
16/04/2013 at 20:10
mmm never thought of 20 as being halfway before...interesting!

2 years ago tried negative split, last year positive split, this year tried experimental fast run/walk strategy. Maybe even pace would be sensible next time, just need to work out what pace, maybe around 7:12 for a sub 3:10.
16/04/2013 at 20:13
oh yeah, race review:

http://andyguybrighton2013.blogspot.co.uk/
16/04/2013 at 20:28
Lombster

Well done on your time, I am sure you will get your 3 if you stick at it.
I thought that was probably you shouting my name, but I couldn't see you!

Well done to all on their times and thanks for the camaraderie here and memories which will last a lifetime.

Aim High !!!
16/04/2013 at 21:23
Daniel Bates 2 wrote (see)

Whilst on the south coast, the day before Brighton, I did the 5km parkrun in Eastbourne as a warm up, I said I will do a steady run, but instead finished 5th out of 94 runners and got my second fastest time of the season, 00:20:27!!!! Opps, but still, great preps for the marathon.

At parkrun do you remember a marshal being helped by 2 small children? That was me and my kids! I chose not to run the day before the marathon...

Congrats on your 5th place!

16/04/2013 at 21:31

sleaver  the videos are up

Edited: 16/04/2013 at 21:50
16/04/2013 at 22:37

I really enjoyed Brighton marathon, and the spectators were great and supportive. It made it more special beacause of this thread and meeting some forumites. So thank you to everyone. Snowmaiden and Poohbear were especially inspirational beacause of injury, they still did the marathon and were not defeated. They even signed up for next year with the target of vastly improving their time.

This is in contrast with some mocking I read on another thread, and juvenile writing (mentioning no names ).

I have decided that I definitely want to 'run' another marathon, but not Brighton next year. There are plenty of marathons all over the country, and I want to try out a few. But I will probably do Brighton again as it was great.

16/04/2013 at 22:53
Kathy H - Brighton is always a special marathon, so try others round the country AND Brighton !!!!
Brighton is one of the best....,,,,
16/04/2013 at 23:50

Poohbear and Snowmaiden, I forgot to add my congratulations to you both. I'm also glad you have decided to have another go to improve over the forthcoming year.  There must be beginners who will take heart from your account of what it is like to be at the back of the pack, and who will be encouraged to give it a go in spite of their fears.

The thing about running for 99% of us, is that it is about improving ourselves and becoming the best that we can be.  Good luck with the next step on your journey. 

17/04/2013 at 00:02

All of me now feels pretty much normal physically, apart from the fact that I can hardly put any pressure on, or bend my right knee. So the way I look at it, 95% of my body is great, but when I walk I look like only about 10% is working properly ...

17/04/2013 at 08:25

Neil - think you said a few days ago that you do lots of work at 10K pace during the week, do you do them as a single interval at that pace or do you do split them into two lots of say 3 miles with a few minutes recovery inbetween, so a classic threshold type workout?

17/04/2013 at 08:33
SalisburyLad, that's probably to be expected given the issues you had beforehand.

Really undecided about doing a 3rd year at Brighton in 2014? I'm definitely going to do Edinburgh and its a month later. I'm running the Bewl Water marathon in 2 weeks, so will asses how I feel after two in succession.

My 10k and half time seems to have no coralation to my marathon time. 10k 0:38, half 1:38 yet I'm stuck on 4 hours (PB 3:58:24, achieved 4:00:25 last weekend).

Thinking I may get a running coach? Does anybody have experience of a coach, it it worthwhile?
17/04/2013 at 08:52
Oops, just started reading 2014 thread, which was enough to spur on an entry! I'm in... It'll be marathon #10
4,341 to 4,360 of 4,397 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.