Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

4,361 to 4,380 of 4,397 messages
17/04/2013 at 08:54
Kathy H wrote (see)

This is in contrast with some mocking I read on another thread, and juvenile writing (mentioning no names ).

You will always find childish people on any forum Kathy, best just to ignore them!

17/04/2013 at 09:03

Ha Ha DF3 you crack me up

GCE ha ha knew you couldnt resist

17/04/2013 at 09:42

Has anyone got experience of running both Brighton and London and how the two compare for times. I'm fairly crestfallen about my time at Brighton (just over 3hrs) as i was expecting to be comfortably under 3. Just seemed to go backwards from 14 miles onwards. It should be good enough for a GFA place at London so i can either go there or try to crack Brighton again. Not sure if at London you get caught in a very slow start ??

17/04/2013 at 10:20

Red Nine - I've never done London, and can only dream of the sort of time you're interested in.  However I have spoken to people who've done both, and one mentioned that Brighton is likely to be faster than London for the reason you give.  That said I'm not sure a slow start is always a bad idea.  On Sunday mainly because of congestion, my first five miles were on average approximately 25 seconds per mile below my target tempo.  However, I think because I'd started slowly, I then kept it up for the rest of the race, doing a negative split.

Those who have done both, and are closer to your speed, should be able to help more.

17/04/2013 at 10:30

I was on the elite start (although i'm really not that elite) but that was excellent, i was over the start line in maybe 10 seconds. I think Brighton is a quick enough course but its obviously at the mercy of the wind direction / speed. the last 5 mile stratch was very tough into the wind. maybe i'm over analysing why it went wrong for me but its these marginal things that help 5 mins one way or the other. had i been 2 mins quicker i would probably have been slightly happier. i wasnt sure if at london if it takes you 5 mins to cross the start line and you get caught up in big crowds than you can forget about a good time before youve even started.

17/04/2013 at 10:32

sgb - well done on the negative split though !!! a skill i need to master

17/04/2013 at 11:13

chutneylocker,

Like everyone, I had to make my training plan work around me. I did Zero running in the evenings, so I would run a 10km / 14km loop every single lunchtime at full on 10km speed, which gave me enough time to get showered and back to my desk.

If I ran any slower than 4min per km pace , I knew I would not be clocking up enough miles per week to make sub 3.

I decided to stick to thinking in Km pace for the marathon and completely ignored the regular Mile markers.

After the first 10km I thought right, thats Monday done, Tuesday next , then Wed etc.

Well, it worked for me...

17/04/2013 at 11:15

Red 9 I have started London from GFA start and it is still congested, from what I saw Sunday (I started red pen) of those who got the elite start they definately gained benefit of clear streets. On the plus side for London there are far more people running at the pace you are looking to run, so if you run better in a group it may be better. Personally If I was looking to get a pb I'd not consider London.

17/04/2013 at 11:22

Neil that is quite a regime, surpised you didn't get injured with all that running at 10k pace!  I think I was lacking in threshold work which you clearly got plenty of!

Love the Monday, Tues, etc.. approach on race day.

17/04/2013 at 11:36

Gloryboy - yes, i saw lots of people still queeing up to start when we had already done a mile or so. Running in a group definitely helps, i felt like i was out on my own for the last 10 miles. mmmm not really sure - maybe i should do both

17/04/2013 at 11:38
chutneylocker wrote (see)

Love the Monday, Tues, etc.. approach on race day.

I got as far as Wednesday - which was a rest day 

17/04/2013 at 12:47

been out today for my first post Brighton run did 8miles along the sea front made a nice change to be able to enjoy the view as it's the last part of the course i  don't usually have time to take it in

17/04/2013 at 12:48

You still in Brighton???? hey???

17/04/2013 at 12:50
Neil Spicer (301 white) wrote (see)

chutneylocker,

Like everyone, I had to make my training plan work around me. I did Zero running in the evenings, so I would run a 10km / 14km loop every single lunchtime at full on 10km speed, which gave me enough time to get showered and back to my desk.

If I ran any slower than 4min per km pace , I knew I would not be clocking up enough miles per week to make sub 3.

I decided to stick to thinking in Km pace for the marathon and completely ignored the regular Mile markers.

After the first 10km I thought right, thats Monday done, Tuesday next , then Wed etc.

Well, it worked for me...

I look forward to discussing ITBS with you in the very near future.

17/04/2013 at 13:28

So, first marathon done. I loved everything about Brighton, but as a Londoner it will probably be the VLM for me next year. I haven't registered for BM 2014.

My silver target was sub four hours. Gold, 3'45. Thanks to the crowds, clement weather and a conservative start, I managed a negative split by over ten minutes and came home in 3'37. I think I can go under 3'30, and am looking at my next challenge.

Has anyone done the Chester Marathon?

17/04/2013 at 13:29

DF3 we have for the past couple of years had a weeks holiday down here afterwards

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 13:31
17/04/2013 at 13:47

10k jog along the seafront in Brighton this morning - first pre-marathon run, felt really good to be able to jog all the way back from 23 mile mark to finish.  A lot cooler today than it was on Sunday, so a nicer run along this section.

17/04/2013 at 13:50

I still can't walk properly. Last year I was able to chase my son around the beach all day on the Monday.

Obviously the time off my legs with illness and injury played its part, but I'm still suprised how much agony I'm in. Mind you I was suffering with cramps badly from mile 18.

I can't wait for next year, I wish it were sooner.

17/04/2013 at 13:53

Wow, people running already?! Yesterday my left knee was still refusing to bend, but it's a bit better today. I'm hoping to run parkrun on Saturday, and I thought that was maybe jumping the gun.

I won't run further than 3miles for a couple of weeks - the risk of injury is too great for me (having learned the hard way...)

17/04/2013 at 14:42

DF3

wow really sound like you know your stuff, is this ITBS disease contagious ?

4,361 to 4,380 of 4,397 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.