Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

1,461 to 1,480 of 4,336 messages
01/11/2012 at 00:14

Yay...I managed a short run tonight with no pain. Admittedly it was only a 3 miler and the pain didn't come on until 5 miles the other day. Still felt good to get out and complete a run with no gripes.

I also changed my running shoes....dunno if it made a difference but being brand new they were certainly a lot more 'boingy' than my old ones.

I was running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS12's but switched to a pair of Nike Pegasus +29's which correct me if I'm wrong or for a neutral runner. The Brooks were recommended by one of those shops that video you running and told me I overpronate. Hey Ho.

I've hopefully found someone who knows a bit about muscles and bones so a sports massage is on the cards. Thanks for the advice all of you.

I never expected this to happen, I thought I was invincible!!

Anyway's I can see in reality that my mileage has increased from zero to quite a lot over quite a short space of time. I'm at week eight of a 16 week training program that would have had me ready for a marathon way way before I needed, so I think I'm gonna go back to the beginning and start it again.

01/11/2012 at 03:37

morning all

just 3 miles for me yesterday may do a gym session today or have a rest day will have to see how tied i am when i wake up

01/11/2012 at 07:53
Swervin, suggest you do not start from week 1 but maintain week 8 with a rest week ( lower miles -say week 3) every 3rd week. You will be better prepared with a better base. Keep the mileage up with some rest weeks...
01/11/2012 at 08:38

Morning all,

I'm lugified with a very gunky chest (not good for an asthmatic!) so no running today.

Swervin, I agree with AGF about maintaining your base mileage then starting a few weeks into your marathon plan.  As part of my training I take 'step-back' weeks (as I'm getting on a bit) so I do 3 weeks hard training then take an easier week to let my body recover and consolidate the training.  Oh and I can thoroughly recommend Sports Massage as it really helps iron out the knotty bits 

01/11/2012 at 19:47
well had a few days rest from my half and im eager to get back on the pavements. Gonna keep a steady mileage going until official training starts at the end of November.. its a slow and steady increasing training plan..which will give me time for any unexpected lapses in training.

have to admit i had second thoughts about the full marathon after my half the other day but after a couple of days rest i am really up for it now.
01/11/2012 at 21:29

6k run/walk for me today in 50 mins.  Should have been 3 miles, but got engrossed in DVD I was watching and kept going till the end. 

Gemgemx - I too was having second thoughts about full marathon after my first half marathon, but now find I am up for the challenge.

01/11/2012 at 21:34
Hills, Toby? HILLS??? Nobody said anything about hills! How big are they? There were a couple at the Cardiff Half that took me by surprise, including one at the 12.5 mile point, which wasn't playing fair in my book!

Swervin, I agree with Redhead and AGF...

Poohbear - lol at the DVD!
01/11/2012 at 22:07
hills @ 12.5 miles is definitely not fair play Wordslinger!
01/11/2012 at 23:12
AmGettingFitter (AGF) wrote (see)
Swervin, suggest you do not start from week 1 but maintain week 8 with a rest week ( lower miles -say week 3) every 3rd week. You will be better prepared with a better base. Keep the mileage up with some rest weeks...

Thanks for the advice all of you? How can I maintain week 8 if I can't complete the longer runs?

Week 7 (which is the week I almost completed before pulling up with my knee) is four runs of 4, 6, 4, and 12 miles.  Clearly (if the pain continues to manifest itself at a certain mileage) I'll have to reduce my mileage?

Forgive my ignorance.

02/11/2012 at 04:03

Word there not so much hills as undulations and the one steepishs hill at 9 miles is only short and you get to run back down it as you turn around just past it once you get to 11 miles it's all down hill or flat

02/11/2012 at 09:25

Swervin, Apologies. In that case go back to weeks 5 or 6  ( whatever you can manage ) and build up again. You not not need to go back to the start though - unless thats all you can manage.  Maybe take 2 weeks at each Stage/week as you have plenty of time.

Also take a few "down/lower mileage" weeks if you are feeling tired.

Eg you could do  W4, W5, W4, W6, W5, W7, W6, W8, W7, W9 etc

Also here are some tips to help with the knees.

a) Stretch legs everyday and do the Plank/Bridges/Squats a few times a week.

b)Buy some compression socks/tights and wear often when not running. It helps speed up recovery.

c) the vast majority of knee injuries for beginers are ITB issues. This is the tendon down outside of the leg. Its gets very tight ( hence the need to stretch/Strengthen/Compression). When it gets tight then it pulls on the knee area and you get knee pain. This is a very common injury/issue.  So you need to keep your ITB loose. This means using either foam roller or "the stick". Google will help with both.

d) Jump in a bath of cold water after long runs for 10 mins......Its "ok" after a minute or two.. 

Good luck

02/11/2012 at 09:37
swervin - i had similar knee problems to you- i found that doing stretches really helped, though it did take a month or so for improvement. would defo recommend going to see a physio.
02/11/2012 at 10:46

My half marathon on Sunday had 4 hills in the last mile. That is NOT fair play. Good job the marshals had jelly babies...

02/11/2012 at 10:52

Ooooo, it's lovely listening to you first-timers!  Brighton will defo be a good first marathon as it's a great atmosphere with lots of crowd support.  Please be careful that you don't increase your mileage too soon and therefore risk injured - I speak from experience there as that's exactly what I did and I ended up with ITB problems 

03/11/2012 at 15:52
Thanks for the reassurance Toby!

11.5 miles today - the first 3 in pouring rain, which certainly woke me up. Then I got even soggier when I came across a puddle. I say puddle, but pool is nearer the mark. About 20ft long, the entire width of the path, and 6 inches deep. Turning around wasn't an option, so I ploughed through it then squelched the last 6 miles.

Hope your running is drier than mine!
03/11/2012 at 16:00

afternoon all just 4 miles for me yesterday did them on the treadmill as was expecting the gas man

03/11/2012 at 16:12

Yesterday the weather forecaster promised no rain or hail , so off I went and it rained and hailed and I looked somewhat like a drowned rat when I got home again! Oh well, 6.5 miles done.

10 k race tomorrow 9.00 followed by 45 mins slow run to pick up miles for HM in 2 weeks time - got a plan for Brighton so feeling very motivated albeit somewhat daunted!

How's the knee Swervin Mervin? I use a foamie several times a week for IT issues - but my pain is also in the hip - iliac crest not so much the knee. It was bad this time last year and I had doubts about the GSR then, but rolling, stretching and taping helped a great deal and now it hardly bothers me at all. I do still stretch and roll regularly though! Hope there's some inmprovement.

03/11/2012 at 18:11

struggling to stay motivated after cardiff half and keep the mileage up (always the same this time of year) need december to start so i can seriously focus on brighton. if i can manage to drag myself out of bed early enough i hope to get 10miles run tomorrow morning.

04/11/2012 at 10:11

After 6 days off, I think the time has come- once I've done my Pilates class, time to have my first little run since my half marathon! Otherwise, my legs will be forgetting what to do...

04/11/2012 at 10:17
I'm am struggling not to b able to go running. Two weeks off so far (just gym bike and road bike) as my shin splints r still painfully. Last few days have felt better with pain easing away but I think it will b another 2weeks before I can start road running again.
It's amazing how much u miss it, but I'm now going to take my comeback slowly so I don't go through this again. Going to treat myself to a new pair of shoes couple of days before next run to get me back in the mood. Thank goodness for my road bike to keep me a little bit sain.
Keep going everyone and remember enjoy ur run despite how hard it is
1,461 to 1,480 of 4,336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.