Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

141 to 160 of 4,397 messages
18/04/2012 at 17:56
Fortysomething - thankyou, really looking forward to it.
18/04/2012 at 17:56

Charlotte good luck for Sunday

And to anyone else that is running my your leg be swift and your times be good but above all enjoy the day

must have another go at the ballot again this year when dose it open

WJH
18/04/2012 at 18:04

Following booking my place for next year yesterday, I have also booked the Preston Park Travelodge. So thanks for the tip earlier in this thread on how to select the dates into next year on their website!

WJH
18/04/2012 at 18:52

Hi there! I too have booked my place to run in 2013. Did 4 hours and 10 mins for the last one. So hopefully can sneak a sub 4 next time. Really impressed with most of the forum members times and how well they did on the day; especially Toby3. I stayed at the Holiday Inn along the seafront which to be honest wasn't great. Some of the rooms are dirty and the hotel needs updating urgently. Being along the front is great for most things except the start of the race.

Anyway, just thought I would say hi, and hopefully this forum can motivate us all to keep plodding the streets.

18/04/2012 at 19:00
VLM ballot opens 30th April. Will definitely give it a go but i don't hold out any hope!
18/04/2012 at 19:12
gemgemx thanks for that
18/04/2012 at 19:30
ooh thanks for letting me know about the ballot, i will enter the ballot again but dont hold out any hope either,

I am running VLM on sunday but in a charity place Charlotte are you charity place or ballot/club place, what colour start are you?

I am toying with booking the travelodge but no idea who will be with me next year or not but my friend also lives 40mins away who i stayed with this year, i drove in to Preston Park and it was easy parking up i have to say, mmmmmm do i spend more on travelodge or get free accommodation, guess i have a few months to consider my options lol

tbh, i guess i have to concentrate on VLM now dont I

not really got into any of the VLM threads tho like the Brighton ( or the Liverpool marathon threads were good on here ) as I think there are soooooooooo many running it, i only have to let a day lapse and i'm about 10pages behind so didnt give me chance to catch up properly with people
18/04/2012 at 19:40

I am a new poster to this forum.  Having gone and done something daft at the expo and pre-registered for 2013 to keep Snowmaiden company.  The longest race I have ever run before this is the Bristol 10K, although I have run/walked it for the last four years.

We are currently still in Brighton - as my husband (Toby 3) ran Brighton Marathon last Sunday and we are enjoying a holiday by the sea - as the closest seaside to us is Weston super Mare where there is never much sea to see.

18/04/2012 at 19:55
Welcome poohbear.... If you can't beat them join them

Good luck with training ..
18/04/2012 at 19:56
Hello poohbear. Welcome to the thread and well done for signing up. My wife had done the same. So she's in the same boat as you. Good luck with your training and most of all enjoy it
18/04/2012 at 19:57
I just tried to check availability at the Hilton, but it says none. I hope this is because the marathon people have booked it all out for a group rate, and that it's not actually booked yet. I was really pleased with our stay there. Breakfast from 5:30 - we got to sit next to the elites; quiet room on the inside of the hotel where we weren't disturbed at all, and hobbling distance of the finish. It was above average in price, but worth it I thought.
18/04/2012 at 20:02

I know it's mega early but I've also just booked Preston Park Travel Lodge. £60.40 for Sat and Sun night!

GCE - You may not be liking stairs now but Beachy Head Marathon has a massive set of steps on the way round!

18/04/2012 at 21:23
Toby - thanks for the good wishes
Hannahsmom - I have a ballot place on the fifth attempt, and I am in the blue start. I believe that with my Brighton finish time I can go for a good for age place next year but will look into that at the end of the month.
Hello poohbear - welcome!
Edited: 18/04/2012 at 21:25
18/04/2012 at 21:36

Hi ,

Im in

Can i please be part of this as I was being brave when I just entered!!!

I would love any support  ican get....  My hubby doesnt run and is one of thoes who doesnt get it??

Thanks

kelly xx

18/04/2012 at 23:02

Kelly - Welcome on board the thread. You'll get loads of support here. Must say, it helped me hugely building upto Brighton last week. First Marathon?

Lombster - I've glanced the Beachy Head website three times today, i think its lookign highly lightly I'll end up signing up for it. i run with the Serpentine, who do regular Saturday hill run sessions in greenwich park I could join in preparation?

I'd exhausted my run shoes, and just threw the smelly old things away after last weekend, regretting it now, hate wearing in news shoes. I always throw away shoes after a marathon.

Are VLM still doing guaranteed places after several years of rejection? Does this till count if I'd previously ran a charity place?

Hoping to get back out running Saturday, hopefully a weeks rest is enough.

18/04/2012 at 23:58
Travelodge booked for Sat/Sunday. It's the perfect location for the start - and the walk back after the marathon wasn't a problem with a variety of pubs on the walk back! The one thing I must remember next year is to pre-book Saturday's dinner - whilst we managed to get a table at Pinocchio's it wasn't a brilliant choice.
19/04/2012 at 01:50
may look into booking the travelodge, we could have a meet up there then as i believe there was a RW meet up this year about 4.30 on the sat afternoon if i remember rightly ( i didnt see it til it was too late otherwise would have gone )

welcome poohbear, i'll let u into a secret, i didnt take up running til May last year and by that time i'd already entered the ballot of VLM ( although didnt get in but got a charity place ) I did wonder am i mad or what but i've got the bug thru and thru, i get withdrawal symptoms when i dont run, but i am not a born runner by any means, in fact i never would describe myself as a runner, still feel a total fraud when i say i have run a race hahaha

GCE, no virgin dont do the guaranteed 5th place entry like flora did, think they honoured it for the first year they took over as sponsors but dont do it now

and if anyone wonders why i am posting at this time of night, its because i cant sleep, at the moment i am eating, drinking and sleeping london marathon!!! *sigh *
19/04/2012 at 07:49
GCE - do it. Sign up you know you want to ha ha

Kelly - welcome to the thread. You'll get plenty of good advice and support on here.

Jo - good luck on Sunday. Let us know how you get on
19/04/2012 at 08:16

Thank you all for the good wishes.  It is nice to know there are others in the same boat as me.

The weather is much brighter at Brighton today.  When Toby3 wakes up might see if we can go for long walk to other end of course near the school as we have already walked to Shoreham on Tuesday.  Be good to see how far out of Brighton you go past the Marina.

Good luck to anyone who is running the London Marathon on Sunday. 

19/04/2012 at 08:41
My house overlooks the start area of the VLM. There's definitely a lot of activity kicking of here at the moment. As every year, the amount of partaloo seems crazy (yet never enough !)

Good luck to those running Sunday, I'll be waving!!
141 to 160 of 4,397 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.