Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

1,581 to 1,600 of 4,336 messages
17/11/2012 at 16:03
A 10 min PB today at a cross country 1/2M. 1:37:59. Updates a year old pb. Nice to see fitness coming back after a layoff in Sept and pleased with time considering mud/hills etc!!

Happy days !
17/11/2012 at 16:23

AGF well done on the PB

17/11/2012 at 16:26
Thanks Toby
17/11/2012 at 16:48

Well done AGF, that's a stonking time for a 1/2!

5.2 miles of hills for me today.  Probably 10ish tomorrow.

Barbie, Brighton 10k is defo a pb course 'cos it's pancake flat!  It still holds my 10k pb.  Watch out for the tourists walking across your path.  Good luck 

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow.

17/11/2012 at 23:49

Well it sound like your all buzzing and getting into the winter training mode.

My knee is still full of grief and infuriating me. I do get some odd looks when I'm punching myself in the leg!

I've been doing stretches as prescribed..no roller or anything, just some painful stretches.

TBH, nothing has changed. I've done 6 miles on Monday and Wednesday with a twinge developing towards the end of the run. Tonight I went out and ran 7 miles and the pain came on big time in the last mile. It is such an odd pain. I can't quite identify exactly where it is emanating from.....and I simply can't run through it. However as soon as I walk, it disappears...until I run again.

Aaaaargh!  I am soo frustrated, I really miss my long runs.

Edited: 17/11/2012 at 23:50
18/11/2012 at 08:28

Swervin could you ask your doc to book you in for a scan,i know that it may not show anything... but it may do...saying that i had pain in my knee once and they thought it was a torn miniscus although nothing showed up on the scan it was still nice to rule it out...mind you then they told me that unless it was huge they couldnt of picked it up on the scan anyway..

Also not sure if self punching will improve it frustration is a funny thing...

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon though...

18/11/2012 at 11:47

I agree Swervin, maybe an MRI would help get to the bottom of what's going on with your knee got to be worth a shot!

Good news guys, I smashed my 50min target at the Abbey Dash this morning to run a 49.33- a PB by over 7 minutes!

18/11/2012 at 11:54
Disaster for me. Four weeks after resting my shin splints after amsterdam marathon, went out for a very easy 8mile run. Breathing good, fitness good, shin splints agony!!!! Back to the treatment table for me.
Compression socks on, tablets taken, ice applied and its just racing bike for me for the rest of this calendar yr. I'm not going to go for a single run until January and try to give leg proper rest. So so frustrating however going to try and keep fitness levels up by going out on bike which doesn't seem to hurt shin splints.
Keep up all ur good running ill b checking posts!!! And I will be back!!!!!
18/11/2012 at 12:52

Stephen hope the resting works and all is well by january

Swervin sorry to hear about the knees hope you get them sorted

18/11/2012 at 14:16

Sarah marsbar and AGF - well done on your times - fantastic.

Swervin Mervin - perhaps a scan would help as the others have said? It must be really frustrating for you.

Stephen - good luck with the resting, hope things improve soon.

HM done today - quite a hilly course, but managed a PB of 1.48.35 so really pleased with that, about 4 mins quicker than last year's effort. No other HM's over here till after Brighton - so debating about Paris........

Lovely weather today though - enjoy it everyone it's not going to last

18/11/2012 at 14:20

jellybaby well done to you on the P/B

18/11/2012 at 14:25

5 miles today, in just over an hour - getting faster.  Just a couple of 2 milers left this week now before 10k in Bournemouth next Sunday.

Hope everyones injuries clear up soon.

18/11/2012 at 17:32

Brighton 10k in 46:01 (I would have been 'satisfied with sub 48:00 and over the moon with sub 47:00 so over the moon with my time).

I can't say I will ever be a fan of trying to run 'fast' but a HUGE thank you to those earlier in this thread who gave me some really useful advice at working on speed - it's definitely worked as my time is 4+ minutes faster than when I first timed myself running 10k. As it was my first ever race 10k I did say as long as I got an official PB of sub 48:00 I would hang up my 10k shoes....but now I've seen that :01 I am tempted to go back for a repeat performance to try and get below 46:00  

Well done AGF, Jellybaby and Sarah on your PBs

Edited: 18/11/2012 at 17:33
18/11/2012 at 18:20

Thanks Guys...

Sarah, Jellybaby, Sarah - congrats on some very big PB's too. Brilliant. A good weekend or racing it seems

18/11/2012 at 19:07

Good PB's guys/gals!

Swervin Mervin - sounds like your knee problem has some similarities to mine.  I get up in the morning and have pain in the knee until I walk the kids to school, at which point the pain disappears.  I don't always get pain when running, though I can sometimes feel a dull ache.  Again, it seems to disappear after a time.  I'm also struggling to locate exactly where the pain emanates.  Sometimes I get a "crunchy" sound with no pain, or a clicking sound - also with no pain.  I'm seeing an oestopath next month (I've been waiting a few months for that appointment).

In the spirit of not letting a little thing like pain get in the way, I ran a hilly 14 miles today   The weather was too perfect for running to be ignored.  It wiped me out for the afternoon though .

18/11/2012 at 19:52

10 miles in the winter sunshine this morning. Love running round the country lanes when the weather is like this.

18/11/2012 at 20:23

Some days when we don't feel like running the run goes well.  Some days when we feel like running the run is yukky.  I had the latter today. Enjoyed the sunshine and the autumn colours but 50 yards into my run I felt my body wasn't going to play ball and so it turned out for the whole 6 miles.  I did feel a bit better after about 5 but was glad I completed it, which was the point of going out in the first place

Well done PB-ers and commiserations to the injured. January will be here before you know it Stephan as soon as that 'C' thingie is out of the way

18/11/2012 at 21:20
Swerving/tenjiso, it's likely ITB if you get clicking noise. It's when the tight band rubs against outside of knee. Probably happens walking downstairs early morning. Lots of foam rolling (3-4 times a day on outside of legs) this will lengthen the ITB and knee pain goes away. Use a rolling pin if no foam roller but do sitting on a chair ... Good luck..,

PS it will hurt when you do it just above knee on outside... Keep with it for a number of days..
Edited: 18/11/2012 at 21:22
19/11/2012 at 03:46

morning all

well looks like there some good mileage being clocked up well done Barbie on the great time for your 10k

I should be tapering down this week but may just keep it were it was last week (need all the extra Pro points i can have for the weekend) which was  3miles Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday and a 5 miler which i would have do on Thursday as me and PoohBear of to Bournemouth on Friday just don't tell PoohBear about the extra runs

or i be in trouble

19/11/2012 at 09:32

AGF - thanks for that.  I did try the ITB rolling, and it was painful as you say.  It didn't seem to help, but maybe I didn't do it often enough (once a day - and not for very long).  I'll grit my teeth and give it another go starting today, and I'll try doing it a few times a day.

1,581 to 1,600 of 4,336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.