Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

1,821 to 1,840 of 4,336 messages
04/01/2013 at 04:29

morning all

rest day yesterday but have 8 to do today kerrance welcome to the thread hope you stay injury free as Brighton's well wroth the training

04/01/2013 at 07:34

Kerrance - welcome to the thread - hope the training goes well for you!

Good running everyone - managed to stay clear so far of Norovirus - husband back to work today daughter not back till Monday....

LSR for me tomorrow - weather looks better for the next few days at least.

Toby3 - question from a few pages ago - does it mean you can go the this year's Expo and sign up for next yaer marathon with a deposit then? Sounds almost too easy????

04/01/2013 at 07:55
Adding to jellyeybaby's question if you can do that can you still go to the exbo and sign up for 2014 even if you are not running this year?
04/01/2013 at 08:20
Tillstar wrote (se
Adding to jellyeybaby's question if you can do that can you still go to the exbo and sign up for 2014 even if you are not running this year?

I went to the expo last year and I didnt run, so I guess you could, but as a runner this year you get prioirty entry anyway I think.

They send an email before general entries open if I remember rightly (OH ran last year but I didnt).

04/01/2013 at 08:58

Hi Kerrence and welcome.

I ran 4m recovery on the treadmill this morning.  Just a 15m MLR to go to complete the fourth week of training, which I'm planning to run tomorrow.

04/01/2013 at 15:34

Afternoon all

well week 4 completed with an 8 mile run taking 1:16:23 giving me 9:16 m/m so dead chuffed

jellybaby what's happened the past couple of years is they had a stand you go to they take your details and you give them a £10 deposit or it was this year you then get a card with a number on it when the entries open and you go to sign up it will as if you have a Exbo number tick yes then they will as for the number on the card and you go from there but it had to be paid up by the end of April or it was invalid

04/01/2013 at 16:34

Well done on the run Toby and thanks for the information.  Does that mean I should also be able to place a deposit on a 2014 place at the exbo even though I am not running this year?

Have just signed up to be a volunteer at the finishing zone on the day so may even get to cheer you guys across the line

04/01/2013 at 17:29

Was wondering if I'm alone in enjoying having a training programme to follow?

I much prefer knowing how far  i 'have' to  run over just running what i feel like. 

Maybe its knowing that sticking to the plan guarantees better fitness!

05/01/2013 at 12:25

Good running Tony. Thats a good 8 Miler !!

GloryB, I think Plans are good for those without structure. I tend not to use them - but work on mileage. At the moment I want regular weeks of between 40-60 Miles per week which contains 1 LSR, I MLR and one run run at a faster pace. The rest is easy mileage - sometimes/often with the dog !! She gets to run between 15-25 miles a week

Todays 12 miler takes me to 58 for the week and tomorrow will be a rest day

Hope training is going well folks....

98 Days to go

05/01/2013 at 14:37

Gloryboy - I am really enjoying the plan I am following (so far).

AGF - that sounds like a plan to me - good running!

I ran 15m MLR this morning, starting out at around 10:50 pace and speeding up to run the last five miles at around 9:55 pace.  That's week four down with another 42m in the bank.

If all goes to plan, next week will be my highest ever weekly mileage.  It looks tough, though  

05/01/2013 at 15:42
Glory boy - I love using a plan it keeps me focused, but I confess to being a bit of a control freak! But seriously, it helps me to feel confident about Brighton and to see progress. But I also know I need to be flexible should injury or illness occur.....

Speaking of illness - came home from 9 mile easy run today to the news that now my son has norovirus, i felt unwell yesterday bit shivery and really tired but rested most of the day (don't work on Friday) and felt almost back to normal today. 9 miles should have been 10 but decided to play safe. Spinning class for me tomorrow!

Good running everyone - apart from leaving home any other ideas about how to avoid germs????
05/01/2013 at 17:04
Hope you stay illness free jellybaby. Totally agree on the plan thing, I like to have a plan even when I'm not training for anything in particular it helps give me focus and improve. 5k threshold for me this morning which worked out at 23 min 45sec so faster than I was hoping for . Good slow 13 tomorrow - haven't run that long for a while and I have a half coming up
05/01/2013 at 17:48

AGF, i'm just not disciplined enough to have the freedom of your training. If I work from home I need to make a list of what I need to achieve otherwise I drink tea, listening to radio 2, scan runnersworld/facebook/amazon etc etc and before I know it its 3pm and kids and mrs. gb are due home.

7 miles today and 12 tomorrow morning as directed by training plan!

Have admitted defeat over weight and rejoined weight watchers 

hope everyone has a good weekend.

06/01/2013 at 13:34
Oooh I LOVE a training plan - although it ends up as more of a 'guide' in order to fit around work. It doesn't stop there though does it? Own up - who else uses spreadsheets? I've started a new one this year that tracks my total mileage from Week 1 to Week 16 across my last three marathon training cycles, so I can see if my weekly mileage is higher or lower than previous cycles in the same week. It's interesting to see the mileage go a bit crazy just before an injury strikes!! Something I'm determined to avoid this time.

So, only 10 miles with the lovely Brighton Marathon training group this morning, taking total mileage to a modest 34 miles this week. Steady! There's still 14 weeks to go.

Jelleybaby - wash your hands like an obsessive-compulsive. Fingers crossed the germs don't get you.
06/01/2013 at 13:40
Yep I have spreadsheets too! Like to compare split times with previous runs to see if I am improving.

General question for you guys, I'm no longer running Brighton, just doing halves this year as wanted to build up to Brighton gradually so aiming for 2014 anyway what I wanted to know - cos I have no idea - is it reasonable to want to take 15 mins off my half marathon time in a year if I keep at it?
06/01/2013 at 14:05

Hi everyone

Hope you dont mind a newbie joining in the forum.

This will be my third attempt at doing this marathon,the last two years i have had to pull out through injury so i am hoping it will be third time lucky with this one.So far things are going ok and i am sticking to my training plan and i am enjoying running again.I am really looking forward to this marathon as it sounds like it is a great race,the only thing is i havent booked any accommodation yet,i know i have left it late but if anyone on here has any ideas on where to stay in Brighton it would be much apperciated   

06/01/2013 at 14:24
Good 7.5miles at just over 9min pace for me today. Pleased with a good weeks training under my belt, I can now move forward. Got a good week ahead and just really pleased that my shin splints haven't flared up.
Well done to you all, looks like your training plans are more aggressive than mine with 14weeks to go. Be carefully not to do what I did last yr and overtrain!!!!!
06/01/2013 at 14:37

The training plan I am using is from a book that Toby3 bought me called 'The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer' it is a 16 week course with gradual build up of mileage with the sole aim being to finish the Marathon without concentrating too much on how long it takes you.  Which is just as well, as I am never going to be the fastest runner, having very short legs and small feet.

I have just completed week 2 of the training - with the longest run this week being 6 miles which I completed on the treadmill in 70 mins this morning.

Welcome to all new members to this thread - hope your training continues to go well.

Tillstar - I entered for 2013 at last year's expo even though I have never ran it before - so hopefully you should be able to enter for 2014 the same way.

Jelleybaby - hope you manage to stay clear of the germs

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 14:40
06/01/2013 at 14:45

Poohbear - that book works. My friend did london a couple of year using that plan.  I like the analogy about the steam train... you will come across it as you go through the  chapters. 

Tillstar - anything is possible if you have the dedication. However a lot will depend on A) how soft your current PB - and B) what you are prepared to do to acheive your target..

I took 35 mins off my marathon time in 6 months around this time last year. So it is possible to make major step changes - but it takes a lot of dedication.

The key to me is running regular, consistently and slowly in training.  If you run 4-6 times a week ( every week )  and up your average mileage by 25%+ ( do this gradually ) then improved times will take care of themselves.  The only way you can do this for a sustanied period of time and avoid injury for say 6 months is to train slowly. Although lots of running slowly in training does not sound like a good idea to improve speed - it does....I am living proof !! 

06/01/2013 at 14:47

Gloryboy. I hear what you are saying.  I am different - I dont like being "told" what to do by anyone. So sometimes a tarining plan may say 10 miles today and I only fancy 6 miles. Another day might be the other way around !!   

Thats what makes it interesting  - we are all different - as long as you have something that works then thats cool

1,821 to 1,840 of 4,336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.