Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

1,841 to 1,860 of 4,336 messages
06/01/2013 at 14:54
Thanks poohbear that's great to know! :0)

Thanks AGF that's good advice will definitely follow that. Have stopped playing hockey for the rest of the season as wanted to concentrate on running and it was too much to try and do both. Will use that advice to work out my new plan for the week. Did 13.1 this morning which was tough then realised my last long run was only Tuesday so not surprising. Will use your advice to work out a better approach. Thank you :0)
06/01/2013 at 14:56

Poohbear - short legs and small feet is a trait shared by some of the best distance runners in the world!  Your times are definitely improving.

Reydon - I'm not local to Brighton, but I suspect you will struggle to find accomodation in town on the marathon weekend.

Stephen - Avoiding illness and injury is 9/10 of the battle IMHO.  I'm making a real effort to keep my slow miles genuinely slow, and by following a firm plan I hope to make it to the start line in one piece.  

06/01/2013 at 14:57
And hi reydon rover welcome to the thread. I hear the Preston park travellodge is ideally placed for the start but can't say what there availability is. I booked the north street premier inn last week (I'm volunteering at the finishing zone all day) and they still had availability tho I think I had to change the length of the stay I wanted to get them
06/01/2013 at 15:00

hehe - I stand corrected.  Looks like accomodation is available in town 

06/01/2013 at 15:01

I have completed Week 2 of my training plan (again). Hopefully the training will be easier when the kids go back to school.

06/01/2013 at 17:41

Thanks for the info Tenjiso and Tillstar, i see what you mean about the length of stay,nothing for 2 nights but ok for 3 , least it is good to know i can still get accomodation in town , think i will have to leave my wife and kids at home for this one to keep the costs down.

07/01/2013 at 04:09

Morning all

well the start of week 5 has me doing 4, 8, 5 and what should have been my first 20 miler but will play it by ear this week as i suspect I'm coming down with a sore throat and a cold so will have to see how I'm feeling by the end of the week next week however will be a step back week as regards to long run with a 13 plan for Friday week

Welcome to all the new comers the best piece of advice i could offer is enjoy the whole experience the hardest part of running a marathon is not the race it’s the 16 to 18 weeks of training that go before it i know that sounds daft but believe me when i say with the crowed support around the course the 26 miles just fly

Also don’t start of to fast better to be slower over the first half than to burn out in the second

07/01/2013 at 07:44

Week 3 for me completed too Toby, and an ease back 10 miles from 60 to 50 this week (just 14 on the long run).

Its common for me to have one when I have grown the mileage over successive weeks to let everything sink in

Training seems to be going well so far for you, but hope the cold goes away quickly.

Welcome to Reydon Rover and other newbies to the thread

07/01/2013 at 11:20

thanks Curly i must say this is the best year so far i had training for Brighton i do think the weight loss has help as i now beginning to enjoy running again i have to say it was becoming more like a chore and i was having problems at time dragging myself out the door and some times even dreading it

07/01/2013 at 11:24

Hi all, and welcome to the new members on the thread.

Been away "up north" for a few days so haven't managed any runs, but looking forward to getting back into it tomorrow. I'm going to plan a proper fitness (ie not just running) schedule today so that I can build in some cross-training, weights and toning each week.

Really looking forward to Brighton but I'm still not sure what time to aim for. In September I ran Berlin in 4:21:38 and would love to get under 4 hours, but I can't see me knocking that much off in April. May aim to get under 4:10 than try and get under 4 at an autumn marathon. Any thoughts?

Hope you're all well.

07/01/2013 at 12:12

Toby - good to see you're enjoying the training.  It certainly helps.

Curly - next week is my cut-back week, and I'm going to need it after this weeks schedule!

WS - A lot depends on what you have been doing since your last marathon.  My marathon time last year was 4:38, and I'm gunning for a four hour marathon in April.    I figure that there is no sense in me training for, say, a 4:30 when I know I can cope with faster training runs (based on my 10k/HM race times).  I'll get a good picture of what I'm capable of when I race a half-marathon in March.

This mornings run was 9m with the middle 5m at threshold pace. My target for the tempo was 8:16, and my actual mile splits were:

10:21/10:24/8:18/8:18/8:16/8:17/8:24/10:01/9:54

Compared against my previous LT session (10 days ago), my heart rate was consistently 5bpm less throughout the threshold miles 

Feels good to get that one in the bag!

07/01/2013 at 15:02

Good running Tenjiso.  Thats a really good run.  A minor point.... If your running at tempo then your heart rate should be the same every time, as its the point when you are at threshold pace. That would mean your pace would have been quicker...( and that you are fitter than you think ) ..

Nicely Done Curly.

Wordslinger. Anything is possible if you get 12 solid weeks of training in before a taper. the more miles under the belt in training ( without getting injured ) will mean that you will be fitter and endurance better on the day. Your time will be quicker, especially if you taper properly.  Good luck.

Toby - they are wise words indeed. Well done with the improvements.

A nice early 12 miles for me this morning as the sun was coming up. Loved the country lanes and the fact that I sped up as I got more and more awake

07/01/2013 at 15:46

Good point AGF .  I didn't check the heart rate until I got home, so it was a nice bonus to see evidence of increasing fitness.  I didn't feel like I could run it faster than previously.  Phew - you're a hard task master!

07/01/2013 at 18:29

You should still be chuffed Tenjiso - sounds like a really good run !!! 

08/01/2013 at 05:02

morning all

well got out and did 8 miles yesterday took me 1:17:28 so again pleased with that as i wasn't feeling one hundred % having said that not feeling a lot better to day so my just do a couple of recovery runs on the treadmill and then see how i feel Friday before attempting the 20

08/01/2013 at 10:22

8 miles when you are feeling under the weather is a real achievement Toby. I dragged myself out to do 12 miles last night, first long run since the Christmas excesses ... slightly sore knees this morning but not too bad considering. Just managed to sneak under 2 hours by a few seconds. On my schedule I am due to do 14 miles on Sunday which is new territory for me, as a half marathon is the farthest I have done before ....

08/01/2013 at 11:39

Had an unexpected trip to Brighton yesterday afternoon, got quite excited when I was walking along the seafront. I hope its slightly warmer in April though!

08/01/2013 at 17:42

Welcome to the thread new people!  Lots of good stuff on here, and good running everyone!

Well, I think this may sound a bit smug - but I think I may have escaped the norovirus that hit the family!! Personally I think it's the running that does it - but don't have any evidence........

This morning was a 5 mile negative split session - first mile was 9.10 pace then gradually increased each mile to the last mile being at 7.10 pace - lovely to be out in the dry for a change even if it seemed a bit colder

I think I might start running along the seafront here - just to get used to Brigthon......

08/01/2013 at 19:20

Hi all - well would you believe it I mention injury and my hip starts playing up again !  I have to admit to being totally responsible as I increased my mileage too much last week to make up for the days lost through noro ! Jumped from 15 to 20 - soo silly ( am slapping myself).  My last run was 7.5m on Sunday in 1 hr 14mins - going to try a slow one tomorrow and see how I feel .Phsyio booked for Monday -Ho hum .

08/01/2013 at 19:28

Thanks for the motivation, Tenjiso and AGF - we'll see what the March h/m holds for me!

Had a reasonable 5 miler today - in the pouring rain. Seems like it's never stopped, doesn't it?

Kerrance - hope you get sorted quickly and the physio does the job!

1,841 to 1,860 of 4,336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.