Brighton Marathon 2013

Can't wait for this one!

1,921 to 1,940 of 4,397 messages
12/01/2013 at 19:35

Thanks, AGF

12/01/2013 at 21:05
Loads of good info everyone I do love this site!!! And great running, welcome to the thread new people
I did 13 miles cliff/beach run today in the sunshine. Rain was forecast but never arrived and I actually enjoyed myself (just not the cliff steps).
Can I just say though I really would love some snow - I know it causes chaos and most of Jersey closes because it's such a rare thing, but I love it!!!
Last year we went to London for my 50th and I entered a 10 km race but then it snowed so much it was cancelled, so I just had a jog around Hyde park in the snow! Really odd I have to say.
So, back to business- 40 mins at marathon pace for me tomorrow to recover from today.
Happy running and hope those niggles clear up all of you who have niggles .
12/01/2013 at 21:14
Lots of posts between me starting my last post, and actually posting it!

tenjiso - great running in the snow.

Toby & Poohbear - good running from you too.

Kathy - hardcore running!

Anne - good luck with your run tomorrow
12/01/2013 at 21:37
AGF - Thanks for the info. My race pace last year was 7:39 per mile and this year, depending on how things go, I may be aiming for slightly faster. My LSR's are generally run at around 8:15. Is this too fast?

As usual I am already falling behind with the LSR mileage. People already seem to be up to 13+ miles. I haven't run that far since last Feb but have regularly run 9-11 once per week since then so feel confident sticking with my plan to gradually build up the long run.

Is anyone else using the 'improvers' plan from the January issue of Runners World?
12/01/2013 at 22:22

I am now feeling better after my 'recovery run'.

And feeling encouraged by your posts. Thanks.

13/01/2013 at 08:37

The Giant elf.... Normally its usual to run the LSR faster as you get nearer the start date/end of training. However at this point its best to run them slowly. Once approach is to ignore miles and just say run 2.5 Hrs at a slow pace. This time on your feet LSR  at early part of training helps the underlying aerobic engine.  Good luck with the training - your weekly 10 miler will give a very good base

13/01/2013 at 11:03
16.6 miles in 2 hrs 50 for me today. Longest ive ever gone in time and distance so pretty pleased especially as it took a lot of effort to get out of bed this morning! Took your advice AGF and slowed it right down. Was tough to slow myself at times but glad I did feel surprisingly ok. Was tempted to go further but had a feeling that was already too high a percentage of this weeks mileage so decided that was enough for today. Thanks for the advice need to speed up my half time and can now see how long slow miles like you suggest will help me achieve that.
13/01/2013 at 11:11
Well done tillstar. Knowing you can run 16.6 miles gives a boost when your 'only' running 13.1 in a half..... Enjoy basking for the day and enjoy your well earned Sunday dinner.

Took the dog for an early run this Morning and planning an afternoon run in an hour or so that should take me to 70 miles for the week Next week is cut back as I have a 12k race next Sunday. Will run long midweek to ensure I do not miss out !!
13/01/2013 at 11:27
Brilliant running from everyone and its good to c the cold conditions doesn't put us runners off.
I went for my last easy LSR under 10moles (7.5) as it all steps up for me next week. The base training over the last few weeks has been great and got me into really good shape for the next part of the plan. Looking forward to doing a couple of midweek runs with friends which will make it more enjoyable or painfull which ever way u look at it.
Got a vey lazy afternoon planned watching the football, but I think I deserve it!!!!
13/01/2013 at 12:29

well done everyone some great running going on

13/01/2013 at 13:01
Thanks agf and all. Good point agf also means I just (ha ha) need to find the other 10 by April 2014
13/01/2013 at 15:14

Some great running going on lately guys

Back with a bang from my ankle injury to notch up a solid 3rd week of training with 36 miles done, including today's 13 miler which was really good fun- I hit the trails with some good company for the first 5 miles, which was muddy but good in the sunshine

13/01/2013 at 15:27

Great to hear you're doing well Sarah Marsbar and ankle is holding up well especially under muddy trails runs!

Did 40 mins recovery run today and really enjoyed it - felt good after yesterday's run so pleased that I seem to have recovered afterwards quite well.

Hope all of you who have snow are coping - but I'm still green with envy  - well I'm acting my shoe size and definitely not my age when it comes to snow!!

13/01/2013 at 15:39

Sarah/JelleyB, 

Well done both of you. A good weekends worth of training for you both. All will be repaid in April

Todays afternoon run was weird. Sunglasses and Hat and Gloves  Enjyable though !!

13/01/2013 at 16:55
Back running this week after 2 weeks off with the flu. Ran a 5 a couple of 10's and a 13.1 today. Such a good feeling to be back running.

Not sure if its new year resolutions or alot of people doing marathons this year but I saw about 20 people out running this morning!
13/01/2013 at 17:06
I've seen more runners out lately, but even more cyclists! Must be the Wiggins effect!
14/01/2013 at 04:03

Morning all

well off to weight watchers later hoping for a better result than last week but will have to wait and see then 8 miles to do afterwards had a very light shower of snow in the early hours but nothing to write home about and has now stopped so that’s good have in past years training for Brighton had to result to using the treadmill for some of my training runs when the snow or ice has made it to doggy to go out

14/01/2013 at 10:46

Three months to go! 

Treadmill running for me later.  The ground is too slippery to risk hurting my knee again.

14/01/2013 at 11:10

Tenjiso - blimey, yes - 3 months Just discussing on another thread how to swap my LSRs around to accommodate a HM I've just found that I'd like to do.Do you have snow?

Tillstart - 3 months to find 10miles? Easy

No snow here, so easy 3 miles this morning for me. Beautiful morning, cold but with the sun coming out from behind some clouds - even stopped to take a few photos. Then I turned for home and the icy rain started - not so pleasant!

14/01/2013 at 12:10

Hi everyone, after some advice. I did a 14 mile run last night, at a reasonably slow pace, and after about 11 miles I started to feel quite sick, plus a general lack of energy. It was freezing cold, and I was drinking reasonable amounts of Powerade for energy. I felt like eating a little something (I know some people eat jelly babies) may have helped the nausea to go away, but didn't have any. Have others had similar problems, and what have they done to alleviate ? Thanks in advance.

1,921 to 1,940 of 4,397 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.