Brighton Marathon 2014

You can never start too early!

201 to 220 of 2,294 messages
22/04/2013 at 06:51

green fairy welcome aboard the bus......the marathon bug has got you again 

22/04/2013 at 08:51
Tenjiso wrote (see)

SGB - once I got off the treadmill and tried the Strides outside I loved them!  One of my favourite workouts.  There are a few descriptions scattered around how to do them.  It's a matter of working on leg turnover (cadence).  I had knee problems before starting P&D, but the high mileage seemed to work wonders.

Tenjiso wrote (see)

It varies Yvonne.  P&D had ten sets, either in recovery runs or general aerobic runs.  Sometimes, though it would be only six sets, depending on what else was going on in the training.  Some weeks didn't have any.  It's all variety in the training programme which helps keep it interesting

My resolution for the coming twelve months is to do more strides.  It's something that I've not really done before, but seems simple enough to fit in to my regular regime.

Fairly easy week planned thsi week as I have Stratford HM this coming Sunday.  Hoping to crack 90 mins and fairly confident as training has been going well and apparently its quite a quick course.

22/04/2013 at 15:36

Crikey this thread moves on quickly 

Well have just ordered the P&D advanced marathoning book for my next read - have almost an entire library of running related books!  I have been lurking on the P&D thread over on the training forum and it appears that they have all had great success following the plan... and as I love following a plan I may give it a go. However as it stands at the moment Brighton will be my first full marathon so am not sure if it's a bit too hard core - but will decide after I have read it.

After watching VLM yesterday I am looking at running an Autumn Marathon - as I am not sure if I can wait until next year - patience is not my thing!

22/04/2013 at 15:45

It would appear that some maniac went on my computer and posted that I would run again next year!

I suppose I did

22/04/2013 at 15:51

Ha Ha Green Fairy that just made me laugh out loud! Glad you are running again :0)

22/04/2013 at 15:52

I did VLM yesterday in 4:06:54 - my first marathon. OMG - omg omg omg what a rush. I know Brighton won't have the same level of support and madness. However, I also know that i won't be avoiding people dressed as rhino's as much and people who decided to walk 3 abreast right in the middle of the road. I can't wait!!! I need to work out what to do between now and then to speed up and get a 3:45 or faster (secretly hoping for a 3:30 but i know it's a big ask)!

22/04/2013 at 15:53

green fairy - fantastic!!! thank that maniac when you find them

22/04/2013 at 15:59

Green Fairy lol!!

Khanivore huge well done on yesterday and a great time for your first. There is so much advice out there about improving on times etc, but you just have to go with a training plan that suits you, where you see improvements without causing injuries - sorry that is not particularly helpful!

Some believe that the Hadding plan works wonders, whereas others feel that intervals and hill repeats work better - Still not helping am I 

22/04/2013 at 16:02

Haha Lisa that is exactly my dilema. Go with Hadd? Go with P&D? Stick with the Shades plan I have followed to date? I've researched them all!

One option could be to Hadd, building up weekly mileage on the way, for a few months and then start P&D 18 weeks before the Brighton marathon perhaps? Another option would just be to do multiple cycles of P&D. Really don't know what will work best for me.

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 16:03
22/04/2013 at 16:09

Snap, I have read so much I have gone round in circles!

I was going to give Hadd a go, but I had to slow down so much to keep my HR down I was getting frustrated and causing my HR to rise even further. I have followed Hal Highdon plans for HM's before with no problems and have printed off his advanced marathon training plans. However at the moment I am drawn to P&D... thankfully I have a while to think about it before committing.

I haven't had a look at Shades, but don't want to confuse myself anymore then I already am.

22/04/2013 at 16:10

one option K that I have mentioned to you - get a coach (club or internet) and work a plan out with them

22/04/2013 at 16:39
FB coaching seems like a lot of money to spend when I am so new in to it. I figured at my stage I would see similar gains from following a precanned plan. Certainly the online coaching options I found were not cheap
22/04/2013 at 16:44

Congrats on such a great time for a first marathon Khanivore

22/04/2013 at 17:33

K - check out FIRST training - http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Pages/default.aspx

it's tough to adapt to as there's a lot of speed training involved but it makes a lot of sense (to me at least). the danger of it is that it's easy to overdo the speed training and get injured.

22/04/2013 at 17:52
Khanivore don't underestimate brighton support. Supported at London yesterday and ran brighton and I think brighton crowds were just as good - if not a little better!!!
22/04/2013 at 18:46

I've been following a guy who has been using the Hanson training program, which is very similar to FIRST.  He got injured a couple of weeks ago and has been unable to train in the lead up to his race.  He might still make the race, and he's primarily missed the taper, so it will still be interesting to see how he gets on.

I quite like the concept for when there is little time to train, but have found that higher mileage and slower speed suits me better for avoiding injury.

22/04/2013 at 19:17

I too am in the what training plan to use dilemma......ive followed a plan by sam murphy twice and did ok and followed a plan from a running mag but didnt fare so well on that one..ive downloaded lots of free snippets on marathon books, speed training ,nutrition, etc from amazon onto my kindle fire and it seems there is alot of conflicting advice,some advocate a speedier approach to long runs saying that you only learn to run slow if you keep doing long slow runs ...others say to run long and slow and build a big weekly mileage....i would love a sub 4 hour marathon 4.22 being my best time...and its hard to know which approach to take...at the moment im building mileage slowly and doing lots of core work along with squats and lunges ...i will start to include strides too as ive never done these before..i so want that sub 4...

Lisa 123 i also put on the gulp thread about the baccchus marathon in surrey in september if you want another marathon to consider..

Khanivore well done on your first marathon....brilliant time too...

22/04/2013 at 19:33

Im glad Im not the only one having the what training plan dilema.  At the moment I am liking the Hal Higdon plans.  Im toying between novice 1 and 2 and intermediate 1 and 2.  I like the fact that they just prescribe running for the plan without speed sessions.  My plan is to follow his suggestion and do the speed stuff before I start the plan and then just concentrate on banking the miles when I start the plan.

My problem is that, this being my first marathon, i should follow the novice 1 and I know someone who followed that one and got 4.21 at brighton and I would love a sub 430 and my half PB indicates I can achieve this.  However it seems low weekly mileage (less than i do now and im planning to increase that before November).  I would prefer intermediate 2 as it allows for 3 20 milers but I dont know if that is too much to take on.  Im kind of thinking more mileage even if slow may be better than less mileage run faster but I dont really know and the more I research the more confused I get.

Any advice is gratefully received as much as I would love a sub 430 im the only runner for a small charity and its more important that I get to the start in a fit state to run and dont have to pull out.  Help?!

22/04/2013 at 21:10

Good to hear that others are having the same dilemma's about training plans, I don't feel such an idiot now!

Yvonne I would also love a sub 4hr, not sure how realistic that is for my 1st marathon, but am hoping that if I can reduce my HM pb down from 1hr47 to 1 hr 43ish it may be more of a reality? Not sure if I would get round the Bacchus marathon with wine on offer 

Tillstar out of interest what is your HM PB? With regards to Hal Highdon marathon plans I have been looking at the advanced plans on the basis that my current  weekly mileage is approx 35-40 already and the novice plans look like they are for complete beginners?

22/04/2013 at 21:10

Glad to see you have entered again Green Fairy. 

Tillstar - I don't know what mileage you currently do, but I can thoroughly recommend the training plan in 'The Non Runners Marathon Trainer'.  Toby tweaked it a little bit to up the mileage so there were 2 20 milers and 2 18 milers planned, maximum mileage per week ended up at about 38-40 miles once he had made those changes.  Plan worked as mileage gradually increased for 14 weeks with 2.5 weeks taper.

Khanivore - well done on your time for your first marathon.

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 21:13
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.