Brighton Marathon 2014

You can never start too early!

321 to 340 of 2,294 messages
29/04/2013 at 19:00

Thanks Tillstar, I am late to the party as usual and it is now full!  2 years ago when I did Brighton I stayed at the Travel lodge in town opposite a night club.  I had to go to bed with the tv on to drown out the noise

To be honest, I would like a lovely B & B near the start, but I can't see any.

29/04/2013 at 19:01

Skippy, the accommodation looks to be pretty scarce but that may be due to hotels not releasing rooms this early? I don't know how they work? I'm coming from Oxford so was a little paranoid when I saw it was busy and got booked in, also this was because ill have my wife and at least one of our boys (3 and 1 at the time of the race) with made. Single accommodation looks much cheaper and little easier to find. bare in mind some of the hotels make you pay more for a cancelation option.

lisa, I bet the scenery was amazlinen on that run. I'm planning the following but need to double check some of the dates to see how they fit with training for Brighton...

Water of life half in marlow next week (postponed from march due to weather)

local 10ks over next few months: Thame, Wallingford, wargrave and toad hall

oxford half in October 

silverstone and/or reading half in march

brighton mara in april 2014

abingdon mara in oct 2014

also in ballot for London, but will defer London I think if I get in as never done it twice but this will be my first time at Brighton.

29/04/2013 at 20:15

Thanks all for the info about accomodation. Looks like Brighton premier is all gone now. I don't know the area that well but there are premier inns at Newhaven, Burgess Hill and Little Hampton. (I am too lazy to search around other hotels) Can anyone who knows the area let me know if these locations are viable public transport wise to get to brighton, or failing that how easy is parking or other provisions on the day. I did the 10k a couple of years ago and it was ok for parking early on, but got chocca later, and obviously the marathon will have a larger quantity of people,

29/04/2013 at 21:40

Skippy read back a few posts - particularly those by Fat Buddah. They answer your questions about Newhaven and parking.

30/04/2013 at 08:51

No running for me this week.  Was feeling really run down and tired all last week and it hasnt improved so taking the rest of the week off.  Really frustrating.  Can only assume it was too much speed work so soon after my race and not enough rest or sleep.  Hoping a rest this week will allow me to get back out there with a gentle run this weekend and get back to training.  I normally run 5/6 days a week so there is no reason for this grrr!!

30/04/2013 at 09:03

Skippy - Newhaven or Burgess Hill would be better then Littlehampton, both of which you can either drive fairly easily to Brighton from or alternatively jump on a train.

Tillstar sorry to hear that you are feeling shattered - I agree that it is probably linked to speedwork as I also run 5-6 days per wek no problems but as soon as I start introducing intervals I am so tired, interestingly tempo's don't have the same effect on me. It is this reason that I have avoided intervals up till now, but I am starting to introduce them but am possibly looking at reducing my runs to 4-5 per week instead 

Andrew nice selection of races lined up there, glad its not just me who plans in advance!

30/04/2013 at 12:39

Morning all

Tillstar it must be catching i to am feeling run down and worn out this week did 10 miles yesterday and felt total drained so am having a rest day today will do a 3 mile tomorrow then rest up until Sundays race

30/04/2013 at 20:42

3 mile run today out in the sunshine, even managed to jog slowly up quite a steep hill.  Rest up now until Bristol 10K on Sunday.

30/04/2013 at 23:41

what time you looking for on sunday pooh?

01/05/2013 at 07:05

AH - I'm one of the slower runners - my best time for a 10K was earlier this year at Longleat when I completed it in 1hr 18mins 40secs.  I would like to be able to shave a little off and get under the 1hr 15mins, but will have to see how it goes as feel I am still not fully recovered from Brighton yet  and having started a less sedentary job.

01/05/2013 at 08:03

Poohbear you are a runner!!!! no matter what speed ...you have been a massive inspiration to alot of people on this thread during your marathon training this past year ...have a good run on sunday ,wish i was able to do it this year but other plans have taken priority .....

01/05/2013 at 09:28

well said yvonne, thats what i love about running. we all complete the same distance at the end of the day in any given race. doesnt matter if you finish first or last, we are all competing with ourselves.  One of the things I love most about race days is the chatting with other runners before and during the race with no competition involved.  having said this, i did get very competitive at VLM this year that I would not be beaten by a man dressed as a cockroach (i think I was though!)

01/05/2013 at 11:05

Andrew i try not to get beaten by noddy and his car who has run brighton the last 4 years .. think he passed me in 2012 ...and maybe 2010 and 2011 too ....

01/05/2013 at 12:40

ill keep an eye out for him.  I beat the guy carrying the 80KG backpack, an ocopus and a couple of beer bottles in VLM, Cockroach man had 'save the cockroach' on the back of his outfit. was quite funny until he started pulling away from me!

01/05/2013 at 12:40

I got beaten by a traffic cone in my last half marathon

01/05/2013 at 13:17

hi, new to this forum so be gentle! i ran the London this year (first marathon) and managed a very steady, even run in 4:22 and although have put in for the London ballot next year I am very tempted by the Brighton event as so many people have said such positive stuff about it but does it get full and if so by when???

01/05/2013 at 13:27

Hi Gary! Welcome to the thread.  Congratulations on your first marathon time Im hoping for a similar time for Brighton next year but the main aim is to finish! Yes the marathon does get filled up normally sometime over the summer (sorry not very helpful as I cant remember roughly when) but there are a lot of experts on this forum who should be able to advise you more.  I think Charity places were still available up to close to the marathon date but then you have a target to raise for them (Circa £500)

01/05/2013 at 13:47

I think the entries close sometime in mid June but not 100% sure. I know the price increases to £70 in a couple of weeks time. 

Tillstar - hope you get over your fatigue soon. Intervals do seem to have that effect. It's taken me a while to recover from my 20 mile race that I did 2 months ago. I went for a pleasant 4 mile off road run yesterday and my back seems to be feeling a lot better thank goodness. 

Hopefully I will be able to do a 10k at the end of the month

01/05/2013 at 15:03

well the 3 miles never happened will try again tomorrow or i may do the unthinkable and have a week off running and just rest

01/05/2013 at 15:11

Entries for the fifth edition of Brighton Marathon, which will take place on Sunday 6th April 2014 went live at midday on Tuesday 16th April.

Entries were priced at £50 for the first 2,000 entries and sold out in four hours.  When the 2,000 limit was reached the price of entry increased to £60.  The price will stay at £60 until 5pm on Friday 17th May.

The price of entry will increase to £70 until Friday 14th June when entries will close.

this was on the Brighton web site

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 15:12
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.