Brighton Marathon 2014

You can never start too early!

461 to 480 of 2,294 messages
14/05/2013 at 13:24

Thank you Toby, thats really nice.  If it wasnt for you, Poohbear and Snowmaiden I would probably have never had the guts to sign up in the first place.

14/05/2013 at 20:35

Great session with the PT tonight huge improvement from last week (even he said so)

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Im supposed to do a 10k race at the weekend but im not going to go as I feel I need to work on my endurance more and would rather do a long run.

15/05/2013 at 00:33

Hey guys, the Travelodge next to Preston Park is now taking online bookings from 4th April.  From midnight tonight (Wednesday) it will be from 5th April.  The prices are still REALLY good so get in quick if you want a stress free start to your marathon day.  I've just booked a double room for friday, saturday and sunday nights for a total of £79.

The other Travelodge at the seafront will also be taking bookings now and the prices will be similar.  For now!

15/05/2013 at 16:15

Afternoon all

pops head in to say hello well no running for me this week this cold has hit me for six i think my bodies finally said enough, enough i need a rest so cop this if you won't rest i make you

15/05/2013 at 16:26

Toby hope you feel better soon, definitely take the rest and let yourself recover you have earnt it about 6 times over!!

15/05/2013 at 18:51

Toby, listen to your body and give it the rest it wants, you will come back much stronger for the rest hopefully. 

Tilstar, well done on your session. I would do what ever you feel suits you best this weekend, the beauty of 10k season is that there are so many of them that if you miss one there is always another in a week or two that you can enter! You could always run the 10k and then go for a second run, or ive known people add a few miles to get to the start line or once the race is over when they want to run further than a race distance to suit thier training needs but still want to take part in a particular race.

i did my second week of intervals today, 8 x 400m with 200m recovery.  400m times were 1.26, 1.33, 1.34, 1.28, 1.31, 1.31, 1.33, 1.31

15/05/2013 at 20:42

3 miles done today, nice fast (for me) run down a long hill and then very slow jog back up it.  First time I have been able to jog all the way back up this particular hill, so must be getting fitter. 

Tillstar, I find the 10k runs give me a chance to see how much I have improved since this time last year, my ultimate goal is to get a sub 1 hour 10k this year, hopefully in Boscombe in November, but any minutes I knock off is a move towards this goal however long it takes me.

15/05/2013 at 20:59

Well done poohbear its great that you can see all your hard work paying off I have no doubt that you will achieve your goal!

Thank you Andrew and poohbear for advice re the 10k. Will see how feel at the weekend as to what I do. I have another booked next month so may wait to do that one instead but shall see may do both.

fartlek on the treadmill for me tonight. increased the speed on last week so intervals of sets of 3 mins at 10.30 pace then 3 mins at 8.30 pace managed 6 reps (4 miles) which is an improvement on last time but pretty annoyed with myself as would have liked to make 9 reps but when i started sliding towards the end of the treadmill I admitted defeat. Next week I will win the battle with it!

15/05/2013 at 23:03

Does anyone know if there are shower facilities available after the marathon?

16/05/2013 at 00:47
The Green Fairy wrote (see)

Hey guys, the Travelodge next to Preston Park is now taking online bookings from 4th April.  From midnight tonight (Wednesday) it will be from 5th April.  The prices are still REALLY good so get in quick if you want a stress free start to your marathon day.  I've just booked a double room for friday, saturday and sunday nights for a total of £79.

The other Travelodge at the seafront will also be taking bookings now and the prices will be similar.  For now!

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Green Fairy. I just waited for midnight, because I want to start my stay on the Saturday.

I chose the seafront one, to make it easier for the family at the finish. 

I'd have forgotten all about booking it if you hadn't posted. So cheers. 25 quid a night... can't go wrong!

Edit.... forget my previous post about showers.  I've got a room close by now!

Edited: 16/05/2013 at 00:51
16/05/2013 at 05:14

Run Wales not as far as I'm aware

16/05/2013 at 06:36

Morning all

Hope you feel better soon Toby.

Poobear - you wi get that sub 60 10k.

16/05/2013 at 06:39

Doing a very slow 7 miles with a friend at running club this evening to help with her long runs. Then on Sunday I'm coding Great Baddow 10

16/05/2013 at 08:01

Sorry I have another question for you; I'm thinking of getting a camelbak as sports drinks and gels dont agree with me but high 5 does and a camelbak would allow me to take enough fluid with me on long runs. The problem is I don't know what size to go for? The larger I get the heavier its going to be but they are expensive so this would be an investment to use in the marathon too So does anyone have any recommendations on what size to go for? 

16/05/2013 at 11:17

Hmm just agreed to play hockey for 40 consecutive hours over the bank holiday weekend next week - guess thats good endurance training!

16/05/2013 at 15:32

Tillstar my camelbak holds about 1.5 liter of water which i find more than enough it's worth paying the money as i bought a cheap one the first time and the bladder split and i'd only used it twice

16/05/2013 at 15:35

Thanks toby I made the mistake of buying a cheap one a few years ago and it promptly leaked all over me before I had even left the house so never even got to use it as anything other than an unwanted portable shower!

16/05/2013 at 17:15

I've got 2 ltr camelbak band drank all of it at Brighton this year. I would recommend getting a spare bladder for water only runs or bike rides. My one has two pockets which is handy for my mobile.

16/05/2013 at 17:16

I don't always fill mine right up.

16/05/2013 at 20:42

Alright guys I've just signed up to this one! Heard some good reviews, targeting roughly around the 2.45 mark, preferably below 2.45!

I was going to do London, but due to the marathon I did to qualify (Marathon of the North) being declared 200m short I can't use the time from that one, so this is my Spring Marathon next year! Looking forward to it already!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.