Brighton Marathon 2014

You can never start too early!

481 to 500 of 2,294 messages
17/05/2013 at 13:19

Second test run last night following steroid injection (and since VLM!!!)....and fingers crossed it felt ok!! 

I think the streching i have been doing with my IT band has helped...i also tried to run with less of a heal strike, to see if that helps....

...either way it felt good to run in the sun!

17/05/2013 at 19:30

Oliver - how annoying, I had read about that error at the marathon, poor you and Welcome to the forum.

Nix pleased to hear the run went ok hope you are soon back to normal levels 

HIIT session and cycling for me tonight and it went well. Sped the HIIT up a couple levels and it still felt easy. Having to adjust my plan for the next two weeks due to playing a marathon game of hockey from 8am next sat til midnight on the Sunday/Monday so won't be doing the 10k race I had lined up for sunday. Going to do a couple of time on feet runs this weekend as need to train without trying to go too fast and getting injured. Quite looking forward to just running to run and not to fit a certain number of miles in a certain time or to hit a particular pace for a change.

17/05/2013 at 20:53

Hoping for 10 miles on my run tomorrow .....Hoping I don't jinx this but my daughter has had 2 runs free of stitch .... she has been drinking high 5 zero and water for last week and a bit so think her hydration levels must be ok now ... she is also breathing by mouth not nose ....don't know about anyone else but I've always breathed through mouth while running I can't get enough air into my lungs otherwise .... 

10km finally entered had a spare bit of cash so a few speed runs coming up I feel with the Jack rabbit aka my daughter ....

Enjoy your runs this weekend tillstar 

Welcome all new threaders...

18/05/2013 at 09:18

I had some great runs while on my business trip to the US week before last. Even managed trail running at this place which is gorgeous: http://www.redwoodhikes.com/Skyline/CoalMineRidge.html 

can you believe that is only 6 or 7 miles from Silicon Valley and Stanford Uni!? Runners out there are so lucky.

only managed one run since I got back. Heading out now to see how 10 miles feels.

Edited: 18/05/2013 at 09:19
18/05/2013 at 10:16

Yvonne thats good that your daughter is free of stitch now.  I agree with you on the breathing through the mouth thing.  Hope you enjoy your 10 miler

Khanivore have a good run.

5 miles for me this morning.  Was going for a slow easy one and purposely didnt look at my garmin so i wasnt tempted to run faster.  However, I accidentally started the toby plan of running all miles with a 9 at the front of them a couple of weeks early and averaged 9.39, apparently my legs dont understand the words slow down you fools! Going to have to go slower tomorrow as need to do a good 2.5 hours run without feeling like I have pushed too hard as I need to be rested and ready for the weekends activities. Long run tomorrow, Fartlek on Tuesday, HIIT and slow run on Wednesday and then that will be it until after the weekends hockey activities when I have recovered enough to get back into training.  Hopefully Wednesday as I have a PT session on the Thursday. 

Happy running everyone

18/05/2013 at 11:01

Parkrun pb for me today 22.56 waiting for confirmation on time, but first lady home, and my goal for the end of the year was sub 23 min so really pleased.

Yvonne glad that your daughters stitch problem seems to have sorted itself.

Tillstar, enjoy your mammoth hockey session - sounds pretty hardcore. Out of interest is your picture of Paddock Wood HM, as it looks familiar?

18/05/2013 at 11:16

Lisa - hitting your parkrun target so soon is great! I also hit my end of 2013 target way early a few weeks ago lol!

18/05/2013 at 11:17

LISA congratulations on an fantastic PB at parkrun - well done! thats awesome

Yes my photo is from this year's paddock wood half. Are you Kent based?

18/05/2013 at 12:44

wellLowell done Lisa, I've got a few friends trying to get me to join them on park run but I've still never done it. One of my yr 7 students (11yrs old) is aiming for a sub 19 min time (his P. Is 19.32) and wants me to run with him, prob is I could only stay with him for the first couple of miles! Lol

18/05/2013 at 15:10

Tillstar, based in Sussex but I ran it this year - great race and would have done it next year if it wasn't the week before the Brighton big one.

Oliver I am going to perhaps re-adjust my goal for the year for my Parkrun challenge maybe sub 22.30?

Andrew do it, its a good measure of how you are improving with training 

18/05/2013 at 16:53

Just back from a lovely 10 mile run along my fave old route .... canal path and track ...10.32 min mile pace so happy with that ...last mile the quickest again 10 min mile pace .... time to prepare dinner a nice roast beef one ....

18/05/2013 at 23:12

Lisa, running a 10k next week but maybe the week after ill give it a go

19/05/2013 at 05:55

I agree Lisa, thought it was a superb race and like you am disappointed that I can't do it next year, especially as it is their 25th race. Will probably go along to cheer on the other runners though since I live close by

19/05/2013 at 14:02

Tillstar - I also ran P Wood this year. It was a great race but I was struggling with my back problem so didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked. We must live fairly locally to each other! 

19/05/2013 at 14:30

Where do u live jelly girl? I'm in the Rochester area. 

8 miles for me this morning. Struggled from the start (possibly as a result of going too fast yesterday and not drinking enough water at hockey yesterday meaning I awoke with a headache) decided not to push too hard so 8 slow miles was enough for today, need my legs full of energy next weekend. 

Just 2 speed work sessions left before the big game - if this comes off we will be world record holders, at least until someone else breaks it.

19/05/2013 at 18:39

Tillstar - I'm in the Tonbridge/West Malling area. Maybe we could arrange to meet up for the really long runs we'll be doing in a few months time. I'm still battling with my back and struggled with 6 miles on Thursday. It felt better running 9:30 m/miles and it became a little more enjoyable. I've decided to slow right down and forget about speedwork for a while.

19/05/2013 at 18:59

That sounds like a great idea jelly girl I find long runs sometimes get lonely and boring so doing them together would help! I'm currently 10/930 pace but hoping to be nearer 930 more consistently by the end of the summer.

19/05/2013 at 20:12

Tillstar I agree with you about long runs being lonely. 10/9.30 pace is ideal. I've been running too fast for too long and hoping by keeping my pace right down  it will allow me to recover and more importantly, keep running the longer distances. Hope you enjoyed your hockey session.

19/05/2013 at 20:22

Jelly Girl - excellent that sounds like a great plan then Yay!. Yeah hockey was good thanks re finding my love for it but won't play next season as will need to concentrate on the marathon besides I may not like it quite so much after our mega long game next weekend

19/05/2013 at 20:54

In the run up to the London marathon I was running my long runs at 9:30. In prep for Brighton I'm going to spend the next 3 months building up my weekly mileage at a much much slower pace - 10:30 to 11:00 min/miles. I'm thinking that going at this slower pace will let me build up miles more safely. 

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 20:54
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.